or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 317

post #4741 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by buke9 View Post
 

That many strands for $80 is not Silver it would be more like $600 if it were if not more. The other cable don't know. If you buy enough wire they will put what you want on it. It could be a special buy of wire. 

 

8 ft, 4 wires, 32 feet of stranded pure silver wire, the cheapest I found would be at about $8/ft - $250 total.

If it were solid-core silver, then it's like $4/ft.

post #4742 of 6137
$80 seems cheap even for silver plated copper. That much wire?

I think I'm going to make a new cable out of it and sell her.
post #4743 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPowers View Post

$80 seems cheap even for silver plated copper. That much wire?

I think I'm going to make a new cable out of it and sell her.

 

It depends on the quality of the silver plated copper.

 

I get a 1000 ft spool for like $250 of mil-spec stranded SPC. It's great stuff, but not on the same level of UPOCC copper with silver plating, which is like $2.50/ft that I used for some other cables.

post #4744 of 6137
Question about melting a solder bar in a solder pot:

Do you simply hold one end while sticking the other in the pot, and then remove it when the pot is full? Or should I somehow cut the bar into pieces small enough to fit in the pot?
post #4745 of 6137

I cut the bar with a jigsaw to make smaller pieces. Problem is the solder bar, as it heats up from the jigsaw blade, gets stuck to the blade and dulls it quickly, so it's not very ideal :P

post #4746 of 6137

Anyone know how to contact Eidolic? I want to get their fancy connectors/plugs but they dont respond on their facebook page, or have a Twitter account...or have any contact info on their home page...

 

Yet many cable makers have them as options :P

post #4747 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2klepto View Post

Anyone know how to contact Eidolic? I want to get their fancy connectors/plugs but they dont respond on their facebook page, or have a Twitter account...or have any contact info on their home page...

Yet many cable makers have them as options :P
Go to Doublehelixcables.com or Norne to order them from their sites.
post #4748 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEREK View Post


Go to Doublehelixcables.com or Norne to order them from their sites.

 

Yup I can get them from DHCbut want to see if i can source from them directly

Not sure why theyre impossible to contact :P so weird that their homepage has 0 contact info


THanks tho!

post #4749 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2klepto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEREK View Post

Go to Doublehelixcables.com or Norne to order them from their sites.

Yup I can get them from DHCbut want to see if i can source from them directly


Not sure why theyre impossible to contact :P so weird that their homepage has 0 contact info


THanks tho!
Peter distributes the Eidolic products, so I would start there.
post #4750 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEREK View Post


Peter distributes the Eidolic products, so I would start there.

Looking for you on Etsy, not finding you. You still there?

post #4751 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoody View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEREK View Post

Peter distributes the Eidolic products, so I would start there.
Looking for you on Etsy, not finding you. You still there?
Yeah I'm still there, there's a link to my shop on my profile page here. Hopefully I'll get my site going here soon.
post #4752 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEREK View Post
 

If you're sending out signal, it has to go somewhere after it passes through the drivers, so having more grounds (imo) is better than having more signal wires. Really, you are never going to put enough power to a headphone for this to ever matter unless it's an Abyss or HE6 (Probably not even then) but technically speaking you want to have a great ground. If you know anything about car audio you'll know that is where people start upgrading after they start throwing more power at their speakers. 

 

 

 

For what it's worth, that isn't what happens with the signal driving your headphones.  The difference between AC and DC is that AC changes polarity, which means the current changes direction.  So when we say our frequency is 20 Hz, what we mean is that the polarity and current flow changes 20 times per second.

 

For the most part you have the right idea though.  If you're running two 24 gauge positive wires it makes sense to have two 24 gauge ground wires or a single ground with a slightly larger wire gauge.  But with the power levels going to headphone drivers it probably doesn't matter much unless you're running really long cables or really thin wire.

 

Not sure what you're talking about regarding car audio.  Sure, a good ground is important but you don't normally have to screw with it unless you get a noise problem from different components being grounded to different areas of the chassis.

 

-Chris

post #4753 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post

 

For what it's worth, that isn't what happens with the signal driving your headphones.  The difference between AC and DC is that AC changes polarity, which means the current changes direction.  So when we say our frequency is 20 Hz, what we mean is that the polarity and current flow changes 20 times per second.

 

Sorry, can you expound on this a bit? I am not sure I understand what you are trying to convey. Are you talking about the frequency of the AC mains which are a continuous sine wave that reaches peak-to-peak (+120V and back to +120V) 60 times a second in the US under ideal conditions? Not sure how that applies to the signal going through headphone cables to the headphone drivers.

post #4754 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenHeadFi View Post
 

Sorry, can you expound on this a bit? I am not sure I understand what you are trying to convey. Are you talking about the frequency of the AC mains which are a continuous sine wave that reaches peak-to-peak (+120V and back to +120V) 60 times a second in the US under ideal conditions? Not sure how that applies to the signal going through headphone cables to the headphone drivers.

 

No, I'm saying the electrical signal traveling across your interconnects and speaker wire is AC.  When playing any sound, the current does not just travel into one side of the driver and out the other.  It changes back and forth, depending on the frequencies.  Otherwise we wouldn't be able to use capacitors and inductors as frequency filters.  (Crossovers)

 

By the way, this doesn't really matter but DC current actually flows from the negative side to the positive.

post #4755 of 6137
So what does the wiring on an Audeze mini-XLR really look like. I understand I need to make jumpers between pins?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread