Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 27

post #391 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknet View Post

Hmm so before I order some stuff.... does nickel plating vs gold plating in a 3.5mm mini actually make a large difference? I know the gold is more for corrosive resistance than anything else, but has anyone had issues with their nickel stuff corroding and having a detrimental effect on sound quality?

My personal experience hasnt found a difference between them. No issues with corrosion or SQ loss.

Usually it's mostly a style preference unless it will be in an at-risk environment.
post #392 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknet View Post

Hmm so before I order some stuff.... does nickel plating vs gold plating in a 3.5mm mini actually make a large difference? I know the gold is more for corrosive resistance than anything else, but has anyone had issues with their nickel stuff corroding and having a detrimental effect on sound quality?

 

I wouldn't use nickel mostly because its cheap and don't see that often. I'd stick with Gold or Rhodium plated jacks to be safe.

post #393 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob101 View Post

 

I wouldn't use nickel mostly because its cheap and don't see that often. I'd stick with Gold or Rhodium plated jacks to be safe.

Nickel is most common in pro audio since it is more durable than gold.  Most of you will probably stop using whatever cable you are building far sooner than any of the connectors coatings will go out.  And none will have a noticeable impact on sound.  Go with the plug that matches the ergonomics and aesthetics that you want.  

 

PS Nickel and rhodium are difficult to tell from one another and many of the rhodium plated connectors on ebay are probably just nickel.

post #394 of 2618

Alright well I'll just go with the nickel since it goes with the theme better. Thanks for all the feedback.

I don't think I should be too concerned with aesthetics for a first project but whatever lol, never really hurts either I guess.

post #395 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknet View Post

Alright well I'll just go with the nickel since it goes with the theme better. Thanks for all the feedback.
I don't think I should be too concerned with aesthetics for a first project but whatever lol, never really hurts either I guess.

You'll be surprised what you are capable of once you start, and you'll be glad that you made a nice looking cable in the end.
post #396 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknet View Post

Alright well I'll just go with the nickel since it goes with the theme better. Thanks for all the feedback.
I don't think I should be too concerned with aesthetics for a first project but whatever lol, never really hurts either I guess.

You'll be surprised what you are capable of once you start, and you'll be glad that you made a nice looking cable in the end.

This. 

post #397 of 2618

If I use the 26AWG toxic stranded silver for channels and 26AWG toxic stranded copper for grounds for recabling my headphone, what are the recommended braided sleeves (material and diameter)?

post #398 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

If I use the 26AWG toxic stranded silver for channels and 26AWG toxic stranded copper for grounds for recabling my headphone, what are the recommended braided sleeves (material and diameter)?

Techflex or paracord but if you are getting such nice looking cable I would leave it bare honestly.  But if you do than I would get type I or type III paracord or 1/8" techflex.  

post #399 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


You'll be surprised what you are capable of once you start, and you'll be glad that you made a nice looking cable in the end.

Absolutely!  Be adventurous!  Be creative!  A couple pros got a lot of their inspiration from the cable gallery, even offering up microparacord sleeved cables after interest swelled here on the DIY forum.  You never know if trying something new yourself might inspire others.  In fact, it would be kind of fun to go back through this gallery and see when microparacord was first used.  I have a pretty old picture from several years ago, but it was just a small interconnect.  My Ron Burgundy seemed to get a lot of DIY people rolling, but Q-Audio had already popularized the look.

post #400 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post
 

Techflex or paracord but if you are getting such nice looking cable I would leave it bare honestly.  But if you do than I would get type I or type III paracord or 1/8" techflex.  

Thanks for the tip and I might just keep it bare if I can learn how to braid the 4 wires nicely.

 

Another question on recabling my D2000. The main issue is the stock cable is too long. As a practice, can I just cut the wires, shorten it and then reccable with the existing wires from the stock cable?

post #401 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post
 

Techflex or paracord but if you are getting such nice looking cable I would leave it bare honestly.  But if you do than I would get type I or type III paracord or 1/8" techflex.  

Thanks for the tip and I might just keep it bare if I can learn how to braid the 4 wires nicely.

 

Another question on recabling my D2000. The main issue is the stock cable is too long. As a practice, can I just cut the wires, shorten it and then reccable with the existing wires from the stock cable?


Why would you do that when you could just buy cheap wire from like radioshack? You could reterminate the stock cable so that it's a nice length as well if that's the only problem.. Would be a cheaper alternative if the cable isn't entirely dead.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4
post #402 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

Absolutely!  Be adventurous!  Be creative!  A couple pros got a lot of their inspiration from the cable gallery, even offering up microparacord sleeved cables after interest swelled here on the DIY forum.  You never know if trying something new yourself might inspire others.  In fact, it would be kind of fun to go back through this gallery and see when microparacord was first used.  I have a pretty old picture from several years ago, but it was just a small interconnect.  My Ron Burgundy seemed to get a lot of DIY people rolling, but Q-Audio had already popularized the look.

I was inspired by your Ron Burgundy it looked so good that I went out at got myself Burgundy and Carribean from supplycaptain! I loved how you blended the color really well with the wood.

 

Thanks also to Frozen Panda for showing me and telling me about type 1 para.

post #403 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

Thanks for the tip and I might just keep it bare if I can learn how to braid the 4 wires nicely.

 

Another question on recabling my D2000. The main issue is the stock cable is too long. As a practice, can I just cut the wires, shorten it and then reccable with the existing wires from the stock cable?

Ya you can.  Make sure you can check the continuity otherwise you might not reconize the colors in the wire.  But ya practice your soldering and whatnot with the old cable if you don't need it.

post #404 of 2618

Hi, I would like to know if using the more standard 60/40 solder is okay for audio cables..

 

I was reading through when I saw some people not recommending 60/40.. I am most likely DIYing some cables myself but still gathering facts around.

 

Still a noob here.

 

Thanks.


Edited by yxpoh - 9/4/13 at 10:06pm
post #405 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by siles1991 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

Absolutely!  Be adventurous!  Be creative!  A couple pros got a lot of their inspiration from the cable gallery, even offering up microparacord sleeved cables after interest swelled here on the DIY forum.  You never know if trying something new yourself might inspire others.  In fact, it would be kind of fun to go back through this gallery and see when microparacord was first used.  I have a pretty old picture from several years ago, but it was just a small interconnect.  My Ron Burgundy seemed to get a lot of DIY people rolling, but Q-Audio had already popularized the look.

I was inspired by your Ron Burgundy it looked so good that I went out at got myself Burgundy and Carribean from supplycaptain! I loved how you blended the color really well with the wood.

 

Thanks also to Frozen Panda for showing me and telling me about type 1 para.


Well that's ironic.. I don't even know how to use type 1 paracord myself lol, thank the forum for teaching me so much..

I really have to hunker down and get a cable with type 1 paracord done though.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread