Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 192

post #2866 of 6819
Quote:
Originally Posted by creatip View Post

 

A DMM would save you from a lot of headaches in soldering works. Even a basic $10 DMM (or even analog MM, for that matter) is usable. It's used to easily find shorts, broken wires/connections, and polarities/channels. 

 

+1

I think I paid $5-$6 for my Mastech DMM @ Amazon.  One of the best fivers I ever spent.

post #2867 of 6819
Quote:
Originally Posted by creatip View Post

A DMM would save you from a lot of headaches in soldering works. Even a basic $10 DMM (or even analog MM, for that matter) is usable. It's used to easily find shorts, broken wires/connections, and polarities/channels. 

+10......not only/ even for DIY purposes but its a basic,must have, instrument just like we keep screw drivers/tools kit handy at home/in the garage......sometimes handy making crying child smile by buzzer sound(continuity check).....wink.gif got my basic craftsman from circuitcity for $8.....biggrin.gif
post #2868 of 6819
You can also get some pretty decent Fluke, uh... Look-alikes, for a good price. They'll last you much longer than the $5 units. I was getting the cheapo $5 for free from Harbor Freight with their coupon. After two broke in less than a few months, I stepped up. Glad I did. Much better functionality and accuracy. Although, the "look-alike" unit can't compare to a legit unit, it's close enough.

So, if you find yourself frustrated with the cheapo, there are other options.
post #2869 of 6819
Thought the below link will be useful for those in need.......especially diy parts shipped thru china post.

http://track-chinapost.com/?p=435
post #2870 of 6819

Does anybody know stereo plugs (mini 3,5mm or 6,35mm) that got a big cable hole? The hole where the cables/wires go inside. The biggest I could find is 8.5mm diameter, but that's not big enough. I'm guessing I'd need 1cm or maybe more diameter hole. 

 

The reason is because I want to use 4 strands of wires, with 1 strand is about 3mm in diameter.

post #2871 of 6819
Quote:
Originally Posted by creatip View Post
 

Does anybody know stereo plugs (mini 3,5mm or 6,35mm) that got a big cable hole? The hole where the cables/wires go inside. The biggest I could find is 8.5mm diameter, but that's not big enough. I'm guessing I'd need 1cm or maybe more diameter hole. 

 

The reason is because I want to use 4 strands of wires, with 1 strand is about 3mm in diameter.

SwitchCraft 3.5mm connector barrels are bigger than most. The Amphenol 3.5mm and 6.35mm connectors both have larger holes if you don't use the small rubber things that come with them. 

post #2872 of 6819
So I need a cable to connect 8 power supply wires from one chassis to another, any connector ideas?

Edit: I'm thinking of using 2 4pin XLR cables to do the trick
Edited by DutchGFX - 11/25/14 at 3:31pm
post #2873 of 6819
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

SwitchCraft 3.5mm connector barrels are bigger than most. The Amphenol 3.5mm and 6.35mm connectors both have larger holes if you don't use the small rubber things that come with them. 

 

Amphenol and Switchcraft? I don't know if there are any in the local stores. I'll look into it. I could always order from ebay, I guess :)

 

Thank you.

post #2874 of 6819
Quote:
Originally Posted by creatip View Post

Amphenol and Switchcraft? I don't know if there are any in the local stores. I'll look into it. I could always order from ebay, I guess smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Or order from Redco. They sell tons of connectors
post #2875 of 6819
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post


Or order from Redco. They sell tons of connectors

I order from Redco constantly. They ship quickly and their prices are dirt cheap. I have probably 10 Amphenol 3.5mm connectors in my parts drawer right now.

post #2876 of 6819
Quote:
Originally Posted by creatip View Post

Amphenol and Switchcraft? I don't know if there are any in the local stores. I'll look into it. I could always order from ebay, I guess smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post

I order from Redco constantly. They ship quickly and their prices are dirt cheap. I have probably 10 Amphenol 3.5mm connectors in my parts drawer right now.

+1 for Redco.

Also, I like Mouser when they have what I'm after. Partsexpress occasionally, but shipping was annoying until they offered their new flat rate option.
post #2877 of 6819
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

I order from Redco constantly. They ship quickly and their prices are dirt cheap. I have probably 10 Amphenol 3.5mm connectors in my parts drawer right now.

i get most of my stuff from redco

fast shipping cheap prices good selection

post #2878 of 6819
Ditto on Mouser + Redco. I often do Mouser because I get stuff quicker. They ship from Tx and I live in La. Redco is NJ.
post #2879 of 6819

That's probably why I get Redco so quickly then, I'm in Michigan.

post #2880 of 6819

My Redco stuff ships from Connecticut.

 

Got a question re: the Switchcraft 35HDBAU vs. the 35HDBAUS.  Even Switchcraft's own site links to the same data sheet (http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/35hd_series_cd.pdf), but the product page (http://www.switchcraft.com/ProductSummary.aspx?Parent=427) lists this difference:

 

  • 3.5MM (1/8" mini) Stereo Plug, gold finger, black handle, 0.290" cable diameter
  • 3.5MM (1/8" mini) Stereo Plug, gold finger, black handle, 0.175" cable diameter

 

I'm going to make a cable for the Philips X2s, and while I doubt I'll find a plug as small as the one they use, I'd like to get close.  The Switchcraft looks nice, isn't too expensive, and has a flat barrel top (where the plug comes out), as opposed to Rean and Amphenol, which are slightly tapered.  I have an Amphenol KS3PB-AU, so I've a good idea of the size.  The Switchcraft is about one millimeter wider, but I can live with that.

 

My question is about the overall diameter of the 35HDBAU vs. the 35HDBAUS.  I'd guess they use the same barrel, except the 35HDBAUS has a narrower opening.  But if its diameter is smaller, I'd be willing to give it a whirl.  I'll be using three wires from a Mogami W2799, sleeved in black and braided.  Heat shrink will have to hold it all in place, as I'm fairly certain the paracord will be left outside the housing.

 

Any thoughts?  Any other 3.5 mm plugs you'd recommend that are $10 or less?

 

TIA.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread