Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 164

post #2446 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughington View Post

Thanks now all I need is an amazing looking plug to use and my recable is complete

FT-763 (R)
FT-763.jpg
post #2447 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughington View Post

I can't find anywhere that has the neutrik 4pin male connectors anywhere

Mouser.com

Here's another source:  http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/XLR-Connectors/Neutrik-USA-Inc/NC4FXX-B.xhtml

post #2448 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


FT-763 (R)
FT-763.jpg

 

Sexy, yes, but at that price I think some truly double-blind comparisons are in order.  I can build two or three cables for a connector.  If you just won the lottery, OTOH, go for it.

post #2449 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

FT-763 (R)
FT-763.jpg


I used their mini-XLR's on my build. They're very, very nice.

post #2450 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

Sexy, yes, but at that price I think some truly double-blind comparisons are in order.  I can build two or three cables for a connector.  If you just won the lottery, OTOH, go for it.

I agree. I just posted it because it's sexy and very unlikely to grace any of my cables unless I 100% find my endgame and just want to be done. We all know that doesn't ever happen, so these won't either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

I used their mini-XLR's on my build. They're very, very nice.

Very nice indeed.
post #2451 of 2850
I don't know if playing 40usd is worth it for just 1 plug any other suggestions?
post #2452 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughington View Post

I don't know if playing 40usd is worth it for just 1 plug any other suggestions?

Neutrik NP3X-B.
My go-to favorite. I think it's pretty sexy looking for not being boutique. The build quality is amazing and easy to work with. You really can't go wrong with it. It fits your Neutrik theme as well.

Edit: Almost forgot, the price is right.
post #2453 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

Neutrik NP3X-B.
My go-to favorite. I think it's pretty sexy looking for not being boutique. The build quality is amazing and easy to work with. You really can't go wrong with it. It fits your Neutrik theme as well.

Edit: Almost forgot, the price is right.

 

+1  Just picked up a couple of the silver versions from eBay; best price I could find.

post #2454 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post
 

 

You're gonna regret doing your heatshrink like that. I know at least I did. Didn't last long. Heatshrink became loose, especially when you move your cables a lot.

 

I actually regretted it immediately after I heatshrinked it.  Not only do I not like the way it looks, it didnt really hold and one side has already come down past the rubber screw connector.  Im going to redo it and make it look better, but im still just happy listening to my first DIY cable.  I didnt really expect it to make much of a difference, but the more I listen to it the more I realize that it is indeed clearer.  Ive had these cans for about 5 years now, so im more than used to how they sound, and the new cable adds more clarity to the upper mid range to highs.  The lower end sounds unchanged, but I really dont know how to listen for "clearer" bass so I dont think I would notice really subtle changes.  Sorry for rambling, im just pleasantly surprised that the difference is more than just placebo.

 

Btw, I impulse bought a pair of Klipsch R6s a little while ago after I lost my Westone W4s at the gym (FML), and I kind of regret not ordering a better pair online.  Not only are they overly bass heavy and veiled, but the flat cable on these make so much damn noise when I move that I was wondering how hard it would be to recable them.  Should I attempt to cut into the rubber and replace the cables at the soldering point, or could I cheat a little and just strip the cable right out of the connector and add a little heatshrink to it to seal it up?  I dont think I would be too disappointed if I ruined this pair of IEMs, but it would be nice if I could at least stop the obnoxious cable noise and it couldnt hurt to do a little DIYing to them :p

 

Here is a pic of the IEMs im working with: 

 

/I hope this is the right thread to ask this question..

post #2455 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post


I used their mini-XLR's on my build. They're very, very nice.

These are VERY nice.  They are to date my favorite mini xlr's

post #2456 of 2850

Hi all, 

 

Please excuse my ignorance, I hope you can point me in the right direction. I have dabbled with a soldering iron before but never for audio equipment. I am looking to practice by making a LOD before attempting to make some rca interconnects for my turntable, phono preamp and amp as I still have the ones they came with. 

 

I could just buy a Fiio L3 for about £8 (might do anyway), but where's the fun in that? I think I can source everything I need, but am completely confused by all the options regarding wires. I'd like to keep costs reasonable whilst getting a better sounding & looking interconnect than the Fiio. 

 

I read in some DIY threads that people have used wire such as Starquad or Mundorf Silver/Gold 0.5mm etc but when I search for it there are so many options I just get baffled. 

 

I have found http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/wire.html and http://www.canford.co.uk/Cables in the UK so far, but when 1m of the Mundorf is £15+VAT(20%) that seems to be a long way off DIY threads saying they can make them for less than $10 and I don't know if any of the Canford wires are appropriate. I appreciate I won't be using all of the 1m but still, I'm not going to have much use for it after, unless I make a few and sell the others. 

 

The Mundorf just seems too expensive, would one of the Neotech options be more appropriate or am I looking at the wrong wire?

 

If someone could advise where I could find out a bit more about the different wires and their uses or give me some wire options from the above sites it would be much appreciated.

 

Thanks for any advice

post #2457 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamj View Post
 

Hi all, 

 

Please excuse my ignorance, I hope you can point me in the right direction. I have dabbled with a soldering iron before but never for audio equipment. I am looking to practice by making a LOD before attempting to make some rca interconnects for my turntable, phono preamp and amp as I still have the ones they came with. 

 

I could just buy a Fiio L3 for about £8 (might do anyway), but where's the fun in that? I think I can source everything I need, but am completely confused by all the options regarding wires. I'd like to keep costs reasonable whilst getting a better sounding & looking interconnect than the Fiio. 

 

I read in some DIY threads that people have used wire such as Starquad or Mundorf Silver/Gold 0.5mm etc but when I search for it there are so many options I just get baffled. 

 

I have found http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/wire.html and http://www.canford.co.uk/Cables in the UK so far, but when 1m of the Mundorf is £15+VAT(20%) that seems to be a long way off DIY threads saying they can make them for less than $10 and I don't know if any of the Canford wires are appropriate. I appreciate I won't be using all of the 1m but still, I'm not going to have much use for it after, unless I make a few and sell the others. 

 

The Mundorf just seems too expensive, would one of the Neotech options be more appropriate or am I looking at the wrong wire?

 

If someone could advise where I could find out a bit more about the different wires and their uses or give me some wire options from the above sites it would be much appreciated.

 

Thanks for any advice

 

For interconnects you have less to worry about than headphone cables. Though for some, matching cable material is almost an obligation.

 

Because you are indeed looking at getting materials, it's difficult to find anything that's cheap once you calculate postage and package. Be prepared to spend up to £30 on your project. I've made a cable for my HD650's which totalled up to £90 if I included the additional materials I bought: just in case I messed up.

 

The cable itself, you can choose anything that's either silver, SPC (Silver plated copper), or oxygen free copper (OFC). Van Damme has some good selection of cables on ebay and they sell by the metre, those cables of course will need to be stripped if you want the fancy braided appearance. As for the guage, you better make your own decisions after reading up on this: http://www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm#gauge

 

You also mentioned the Fiio L3, which means you probably have to source an Apple connector. The price on that is up in the air since I do not know where it can be sourced.

post #2458 of 2850

Thank you, although at this point I'm not sure if it cleared things up or just gave me more to think about! :biggrin:

 

The dock connector is the only issue as I can't seem to find any uk stockists, but I will be able to get it from Qables as a last resort.

 

Also, if anyone in the UK could list their go to DIY component websites/stockists I would really appreciate it, they seem thin on the ground. 

post #2459 of 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamj View Post
 

Thank you, although at this point I'm not sure if it cleared things up or just gave me more to think about! :biggrin:

 

The dock connector is the only issue as I can't seem to find any uk stockists, but I will be able to get it from Qables as a last resort.

 

Also, if anyone in the UK could list their go to DIY component websites/stockists I would really appreciate it, they seem thin on the ground. 

 

One thing I do alot when starting off any DIY projects is to look at what manufacturers are already doing and what DIY'ers are using: what metal/guage/sleeves they use, and make select choices from that information. It's a slightly less informed way, but at least you can't go wrong if you follow similar guidelines.

 

The last cable project, I used some Van Damme XKE Starquad cables. Because of how it's wired internally I had to strip the entire cable down and go the braiding route, but the conductor uses several strands of SPC as well as OFC. I wanted to sleeve it, but I have nothing long enough to cover it.

 

 

Now I'm slowly being vexed by it's appearance... Need to find some clearcoat that's flexible enough so that I can make the cables more durable...

post #2460 of 2850

For me, it's a case of trying to match the wire mentioned in DIY Threads to the actual wire I can find as the descriptions always seem different. 

 

I just found I can pick up the VD XKE Starquad in my local Maplin which might be good for a few practice cables. 

 

From what I've been reading I would like to try both Silver and Copper single core cables to see if I can a) tell the difference & b) see if I prefer one (I have read silver can be brighter) and also, after reading your link I'd like to try say a 30 gauge wire in a 20 gauge sheath to see if it makes a difference I can hear compared to the correct size sheathing. 

 

I like the look of yours and a clear coat outer would look tidy, although I may end up sticking some techflex over any braiding anyway. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread