Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 147

post #2191 of 2707

I always like the Carbon Fiber look i'am wondering how much it will cost to get a 12" X 12" sheet.

post #2192 of 2707

like $12 or so on Amazon. I covered my Fiio E12 with it as well. It makes it so light weight too! Haha

post #2193 of 2707

Are you referring to the Vinyl Carbon Look? I can get those here locally from a lot of places I need the REAL Carbon Fiber.Thanks!

post #2194 of 2707

Ha wellI tthought that was what you were referring to. 

post #2195 of 2707

No worries,it's a bit hard  to get them here locally.Thanks Again!

post #2196 of 2707

I have this page (below) bookmarked for an upcoming project some people here may know about. I'm going to venture into the world of REAL carbon fiber and make some cups for the Denon AH-D series headphones, and probably others later on like Beyer and Audio Technicas. I was supposed to have started already but the money that was going to be going towards that turned into part of my vacation fund. I'll be starting this up at the end of the month though.

 

http://www.uscomposites.com/shortroll.html

post #2197 of 2707

Those looks interesting however i have no clue on how to apply the resin properly then you will need a vacuum then oven to bake it(i think)Thanks for the link and i like  to see your work on the Beyer Cups i'am a sucker for carbon fiber look.:biggrin:

post #2198 of 2707

Nope you don't bake it, but yes there is definitely a longer process than just sticking it on. I'll definitely have some trial and error in the first few attempts until I find a good rhythm, I will probably just put all the updates on that in my Everything MOD Thread! when the time comes. Don't be afraid to check it out ;)

post #2199 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

 

They are SMC connectors... ;)

Thanks! I knew there was a name for them, just didn't know the name. ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post

 

Yes, yes you can.

 

 

And yeah, I sanded down and filled the stock hole for the 3.5mm jack with body filler.

I'm more specifically looking for the male version, since I've found the female version (the cable side). Is there any specific brand/make/model and company you prefer to order them from? Or should I just get whatever~? 

 

I'm actually going to craft a entirely new body for the drivers. Cups, gril, headband, whatnot,

 

Thanks!

post #2200 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

Nope you don't bake it, but yes there is definitely a longer process than just sticking it on. I'll definitely have some trial and error in the first few attempts until I find a good rhythm, I will probably just put all the updates on that in my Everything MOD Thread! when the time comes. Don't be afraid to check it out ;)

Can't wait.

post #2201 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

 

I'm more specifically looking for the male version, since I've found the female version (the cable side). Is there any specific brand/make/model and company you prefer to order them from? Or should I just get whatever~? 

 

Thanks!

I used these specifically. Same link and everything. 

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350974333372?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

post #2202 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

I used these specifically. Same link and everything. 

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350974333372?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thanks!

post #2203 of 2707

I finished my headphone cable!  This was much harder than the interconnects, mainly because of the redco mini xlr 4 pin female..  redco doesn't carry the neutrik rean mini xlr.. next time I make a headphone cable I'll use the rean.. supposed to be easier.  Also going to buy a cheap third hand with the two alligator clips

 

Materials:  Neutrik NP3X-B black/gold 1/4" male plug, Mogami 2893 mini star quad 8', Redco TA4FB Mini xlr 4-pin female, furry letters 3/16" nylon multifilament sleeving, generic 1/2" 3:1 adhesive heatshrink.  Heatshrink was very thick, next time gonna try getting heatshrink from better source

 

tools used:  $5 ebay 60w soldering iron, $4.50 cardas quad eutectic solder, $12 wire stripper, tweezers, liquid flux $5,  $7 ebay multimeter

 

Guys I decided not to connect the spiral copper shield at either ends.. is that bad?  I connected both negative conductors on the 1/4" side to the shield part of the plug

 

edit:  this cable sounds exactly the same  as my old canare l4e6s cable despite using smaller conductors.  maybe I notice slightly more stereo seperation and better imaging but that could just be because I'm listening critically right now

 

 

 

 


Edited by uncola - 7/6/14 at 4:47pm
post #2204 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
 

 

edit:  this cable sounds exactly the same  as my old canare l4e6s cable despite using smaller conductors.  maybe I notice slightly more stereo seperation and better imaging but that could just be because I'm listening critically right now

 

If you're hearing a difference I suspect there is something wrong with one of the cables. 

 

Looks good, I'm a fan of Mogami W2893 in TechFlex 3/16" NMF sleeving. Always seemed to heavy for headphone cables though at 1/4" OD.

post #2205 of 2707

So if someone wanted to make a pretty diy power cable, what's an inexpensive wire to use?  I checked ebay and it's all crazy expensive like $12 per foot.  I was thinking of using the canare gs11 quad speaker wire cause it's 14 awg but I guess it's not rated to be used as a power cable.

edit:  power cables are 3 conductor right?

 

Cheapest decent power cord by the foot I Found http://www.parts-express.com/carol-14-awg-3c-sjoow-power-cable-25-ft--100-574

 

This power cord plug set looks good http://www.ebay.com/itm/201016910532?item=201016910532&autorefresh=true


Edited by uncola - 7/6/14 at 9:29pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread