Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 124

post #1846 of 1857

I'm trying to replace my XLR Neutrik plugs with something smaller and budget level which will also work with an RSA portable amp later and speaker taps short cable/3.5" S.E. short cable.

Have any of you adapted the RSA/ALO Kobiconn female panel mount onto a headphone cable?

I know the male connection can be substituted for my clunky XLR plugs on the headphone cable easily, but until I get hands on with the panel mount I'm just not sure it can be covered in shrink to act as the port/female side of switching between taps cable/3.5" single end cable...

 


Female panel mount below adapted to a headphone cable (?)... I have just not found a female connector that is not panel mount style with the Kobiconn on the female side of things.....

post #1847 of 1857

Switchcraft Mini-XLR Shielded connectors are very nice looking and pack some impressive ratings. I don't know what you consider budget, they are about $8-9 a piece which isn't too bad.

 

Personally I think those camera iris connectors are awful.

post #1848 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post
 

Switchcraft Mini-XLR Shielded connectors are very nice looking and pack some impressive ratings. I don't know what you consider budget, they are about $8-9 a piece which isn't too bad.

 

Personally I think those camera iris connectors are awful.


awful quality or style ?

post #1849 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post
 

I'm trying to replace my XLR Neutrik plugs with something smaller and budget level which will also work with an RSA portable amp later and speaker taps short cable/3.5" S.E. short cable.

Have any of you adapted the RSA/ALO Kobiconn female panel mount onto a headphone cable?

I know the male connection can be substituted for my clunky XLR plugs on the headphone cable easily, but until I get hands on with the panel mount I'm just not sure it can be covered in shrink to act as the port/female side of switching between taps cable/3.5" single end cable...

 


Female panel mount below adapted to a headphone cable (?)... I have just not found a female connector that is not panel mount style with the Kobiconn on the female side of things.....

I would recommend getting a set of mini 4pin XLR connectors and make a bum-load of pigtails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post
 


awful quality or style ?

I think that they're rather sexy looking but they are very "plasticy" and do not feel remotely as nice as a metal housed mini XLR or maybe a hirose plug.


Edited by skalkman - Today at 12:55 am
post #1850 of 1857

I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to retrofit the balanced male end of the Kobiconn connector into a 3.5mm angles connector's barrel. 

post #1851 of 1857

Mouser charge a flat $40 for international shipping....terrible ! $2 plugs $40 shipping.

post #1852 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post

Mouser charge a flat $40 for international shipping....terrible ! $2 plugs $40 shipping.

See if Digikey has what you need. They've cheaper shipping to Canada than Mouser.
post #1853 of 1857

Can anyone direct me to a photo of wire connection to the hifiman connector?

Thanks

post #1854 of 1857

Do you guys use shrink tube as strain relief or does it serve against pulling forces? I'm asking because I just used it to cover a broken cable which I didn't solder. 

post #1855 of 1857

Heatshrink is good insulation for exposed conductor and half decent bend relief, even adhesive lined heatshrink provides mediocre tension relief standard single wall, forget about it.

post #1856 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post
 


awful quality or style ?

Both, they're only available in right angle in line or panel mount. The only thing keeping them in one piece is plastic prongs, they're also pretty large for the size of the pins. 

 

I've been spoiled by Lemo connectors 0B size at work and high quality audio connectors like Mini-XLR already exist. 

 

Connectors are on of the places you'll never see me cheap out on. $2 vs. $8 is not enough of a difference for me to pick the cheaper one just because it's cheap.

post #1857 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post
 

Both, they're only available in right angle in line or panel mount. The only thing keeping them in one piece is plastic prongs, they're also pretty large for the size of the pins. 

 

I've been spoiled by Lemo connectors 0B size at work and high quality audio connectors like Mini-XLR already exist. 

 

Connectors are on of the places you'll never see me cheap out on. $2 vs. $8 is not enough of a difference for me to pick the cheaper one just because it's cheap.


Yep, those Lemo connectors are about the best ones I've ever seen so far for sure but in the OP I was thinking I may get an RSA amp later, so it was more about being able to switch between taps and the Kobiconn connector as long as I could get the panel mount type female one shrunk and secure it will do. Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread