Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 119

post #1771 of 2707
I've been excited to pick up some of the DIY wire from Toxic cables. Unfortunately, shipping to the US is flat-rate $20. Killed all the savings for me. It's too bad, the prices are otherwise really good.
post #1772 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

I've been excited to pick up some of the DIY wire from Toxic cables. Unfortunately, shipping to the US is flat-rate $20. Killed all the savings for me. It's too bad, the prices are otherwise really good.

 

Yeah $20 shipping for some wires appears aggressive.

 

I have tried the Toxic silver poison for my LOD cable. Very good wires but sound stage seems reduced to my ears. The cotton-dielectric silver from Homegrown wins my ears.

post #1773 of 2707

anyone can advise me?

post #1774 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson515 View Post
 

Hi Guys

I am a newbie for diy cables

Currently, I am planning to diy a cable for my Denon AH D600 headphones.

But I can't find any 3.5 mm jack like the original one with only the tip and sleeve.

http://i.imgur.com/GxvUgQh.jpg

Above is a photo of the 3.5mm jack that connect to the right channel of my headphones. ( sorry for the poor quality) As shown there is only a tip and a sleeve but without the ring.

Anyone knows where I can buy something like this?

Or, is that I can use a normal 3.5 mm jack and connect the wires to the tip of the 3.5mm jack for both left and right channels respectively?

 

Additionally, I have some questions about the materials for making cables. 

If we have got enough budget, is that high purity occ copper/silver will be the best option for making a decent quality cable?

Are there any more advanced materials for making headphone cables?

 

I would be grateful if anyone can help me with these.

Thank you guys. CHEERS!

 

Forgive my poor english:( 

:(

post #1775 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson515 View Post

anyone can advise me?

Sorry, didn't see your post. Those 3.5 connectors are "mono" not "stereo". Just do a quick search for "3.5 mm mono plug" and you'll get various options. You can also search Lunashops.com, Markertek.com, Parts-express.com, eBay, etc.

I recommend some inexpensive wire for your first job. You can learn from your mistakes as you practice.
post #1776 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


Sorry, didn't see your post. Those 3.5 connectors are "mono" not "stereo". Just do a quick search for "3.5 mm mono plug" and you'll get various options. You can also search Lunashops.com, Markertek.com, Parts-express.com, eBay, etc.

I recommend some inexpensive wire for your first job. You can learn from your mistakes as you practice.

Thank you for your reply mate:D

Actually I have made a few cables already. Just want to know whether I can use other materials that might be better than occ copper wire.

btw I found that it is quite difficult to find some occ pure silver wires (stranded). Do you have any ideas where to find it? I searched it in DHC plussound forza and etc  but none of them are selling any occ silver.

 

thank you again for your recommendations

post #1777 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

I've been excited to pick up some of the DIY wire from Toxic cables. Unfortunately, shipping to the US is flat-rate $20. Killed all the savings for me. It's too bad, the prices are otherwise really good.

Unfortunately that's the problem with international shipping, it's expensive. All my packages are sent fully tracked and insured, so the price reflects that.

 

We also make sure there are no further import charges to pay on your end, so what you pay me, is all you pay.


Edited by Toxic Cables - 4/10/14 at 8:31pm

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #1778 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson515 View Post
 

Thank you for your reply mate:D

Actually I have made a few cables already. Just want to know whether I can use other materials that might be better than occ copper wire.

btw I found that it is quite difficult to find some occ pure silver wires (stranded). Do you have any ideas where to find it? I searched it in DHC plussound forza and etc  but none of them are selling any occ silver.

 

thank you again for your recommendations

We have 2 listed on the site, one 26AWG 5N OCC Silver which is £3 a feet and the other with 1% gold, which is £5.05. http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=68

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #1779 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson515 View Post

Thank you for your reply mate:D
Actually I have made a few cables already. Just want to know whether I can use other materials that might be better than occ copper wire.
btw I found that it is quite difficult to find some occ pure silver wires (stranded). Do you have any ideas where to find it? I searched it in DHC plussound forza and etc  but none of them are selling any occ silver.

thank you again for your recommendations

I just saw your cables in the gallery. Whether other materials will be better is entirely subjective. Only you can say it is or is not. Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure until you try.

OCC silver can be had from our very own Frank at Toxic Cables. Just recently posted a number of DIY options for us.

Otherwise try contacting Artemis cables. He'll probably be able to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Cables View Post

Unfortunately that's the problem with international shipping, it's expensive. All my packages are sent fully tracked and insured, so the price reflects that.

We also take care of any import duties on this end, so the price you pay, is all you pay.

I understand. Thanks for offering them. I love to support those that are open to the DIY community. Maybe i'll find some others that'll do a bulk order to split shipping.
post #1780 of 2707
So I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my components for my first DIY headphone cable. This is what I have on the list so far:

25 foot Toxic Cable 26AWG Viper Silver Plated Copper Cable.
HD600 Connectors
Neutrik 4 Pin XLR Connector
Y-Splitter (probably the toxic cable aluminium one)

Do you think I have everything covered there?

I have a soldering iron / solder (lead free silver) and multimeter. Would I need heat shrink for anything at all (the HD600 connectors?) if so what sort of size what you advise? I believe the XLR has built in strain relief but may add some heat shrink where the cable exits the connector.
post #1781 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason36 View Post

So I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my components for my first DIY headphone cable. This is what I have on the list so far:

25 foot Toxic Cable 26AWG Viper Silver Plated Copper Cable.
HD600 Connectors
Neutrik 4 Pin XLR Connector
Y-Splitter (probably the toxic cable aluminium one)

Do you think I have everything covered there?

I have a soldering iron / solder (lead free silver) and multimeter. Would I need heat shrink for anything at all (the HD600 connectors?) if so what sort of size what you advise? I believe the XLR has built in strain relief but may add some heat shrink where the cable exits the connector.

You're definitely going to need heat shrink for the HD600 connectors so you can cover the soldered area of the pins. I don't know for sure what size you're going to need, but I'm going to guess 3/8", anyone is welcome to correct me if you think I'm wrong. The heat shrink is going to have to fit around the largest area of the HD600 connector, like in the picture below.

 

 

 The XLR does have built in strain relief, so you shouldn't need it there. 

post #1782 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post

You're definitely going to need heat shrink for the HD600 connectors so you can cover the soldered area of the pins. I don't know for sure what size you're going to need, but I'm going to guess 3/8", anyone is welcome to correct me if you think I'm wrong. The heat shrink is going to have to fit around the largest area of the HD600 connector, like in the picture below.




 The XLR does have built in strain relief, so you shouldn't need it there. 

Would you advise just standard heat shrink or the glue lined stuff? I assume I just. Shrink this with a standard heat gun?

Anybody else confirm what diameter is required for HD600 connectors?
Edited by Jason36 - 4/11/14 at 5:17am
post #1783 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


I just saw your cables in the gallery. Whether other materials will be better is entirely subjective. Only you can say it is or is not. Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure until you try.

OCC silver can be had from our very own Frank at Toxic Cables. Just recently posted a number of DIY options for us.

Otherwise try contacting Artemis cables. He'll probably be able to help.
I understand. Thanks for offering them. I love to support those that are open to the DIY community. Maybe i'll find some others that'll do a bulk order to split shipping.

Thanks a lot for your help

post #1784 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason36 View Post


Would you advise just standard heat shrink or the glue lined stuff? I assume I just. Shrink this with a standard heat gun?

Anybody else confirm what diameter is required for HD600 connectors?

Non glue lined will be fine and will look cleaner and the standard heat gun should be fine, just be carefull not to apply too much heat.

 

I will include the perfect sized 4:1 black heatshrink to fit the connectors for you.

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #1785 of 2707

Hi guys

I have questions about choosing the size of paracord.

Um can a 6-braided 26 awg cable fit into the 550 paracord? And, is a micro paracord suitable for sleeving a 3-braided 26 awg cable?

 

thank you 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread