or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 110

post #1636 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

The connectors themselves should have the numbers by the pins on the solder side.  The configuration you first quoted is correct 1,3 L+, L- and 2,4 R+, R-.  

 

A multimeter can't tell you if you have misinterpreted a diagram or pinout.  Your ears are telling you that either you have, or the equipment on either side of the cable has a problem with it.  By polarity, I mean are you connecting to the right pins at the Westone end and do you have them in the correct orientation?  Westone, JH, UE, etc. all use the same connectors, but use a slightly different pinout (like the post that I shared with you).  Do you have the female socket for the RSA connector?  If so, you can make a balanced to single ended adapter and test on your own equipment.

Okay. Followed your advise and made a single ended-RSA converter and figured out an issue. It was due to me misreading the post. It was the view from inside the amp out, not from the jack. I've fixed it, though I cannot try this out until tomorrow (relative to me). Thanks for the advise.

 

EDIT: It turns out that the larger diagram is slightly wrong. Because I am so used to reading how I should align my stuff (experience from my old circuit-board days), I read the diagram too literally, and took that protrusion at the top as the same protrusion of the female jack in the amp. Turns out the diagram at the bottom is actually the correct one. The diagram on top is very misleading. I recommend ignoring it entirely.


Edited by AONihilist - 3/18/14 at 10:06am
post #1637 of 6133

Guys can you suggest where to buy 1/4" (6.3mm) diameter Techflex Nylon Multifilament sleeve in silver color? Thanks

post #1638 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

Guys can you suggest where to buy 1/4" (6.3mm) diameter Techflex Nylon Multifilament sleeve in silver color? Thanks

Only place I have seen silver was Furryletters on ebay.  If he doesn't have 1/4", not sure where you will get it.  Wirecare, Techflex's own webstore, doesn't even have it.

post #1639 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

Only place I have seen silver was Furryletters on ebay.  If he doesn't have 1/4", not sure where you will get it.  Wirecare, Techflex's own webstore, doesn't even have it.

If you email him he might have it even though he doesn't have it listed on ebay.  

post #1640 of 6133
Cable noob here needing help on recabling.
Searching for the right cable in this 800 pages thread is a daunting task. So i could hope for a straightforward answer (and maybe be updated in the front page too, for easier future reference)
I need recommendation on recabling my T50RP. I'm planning to do dual sided mini xlr configuration and terminated with a 3.5mm connector.

Here are my questions :
1. Where to get a threaded 3.5mm connector? I found one at Qables website, but they are from the UK and I just don't have the time to wait for them to ship. Plus they only sell the jack and not the jacket.
2. Which cables to use? The choices are strictly from Redco though as I don't have the luxury to pay for shipping fees from other online store.
3. I'm going to use Techflex Flexo PET as the sleeve. Are the measurements given the maximum diameter before elongating the sleeve? How much elongation is when the diameter is minimum, after elongating the sleeve?
4. What are the points on choosing the right shrink tubes?

Do note that I'm only buying from Redco due to time and money constraint. Except for the threaded 3.5mm jack

Thanks for your advice!
post #1641 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post

1. Where to get a threaded 3.5mm connector? I found one at Qables website, but they are from the UK and I just don't have the time to wait for them to ship. Plus they only sell the jack and not the jacket.
2. Which cables to use? The choices are strictly from Redco though as I don't have the luxury to pay for shipping fees from other online store.
3. I'm going to use Techflex Flexo PET as the sleeve. Are the measurements given the maximum diameter before elongating the sleeve? How much elongation is when the diameter is minimum, after elongating the sleeve?
4. What are the points on choosing the right shrink tubes?

Here are my suggestions to your questions.

 

1. This, i'm not too sure, sorry. These are rare, checkout the 3.5mm plug collection thread. I wish I could link but I seem to have lost it.. I swear its somewhere though xD.

2. Mogami is probably the best choice from Redco.

3. Maximum Diameter would be the largest it gets so you need to choose one that has a maximum diameter larger than the outer diameter of your cable. The closer the maximum diameter of the techflex is to the outer diamter of the cable the more transparent its going to look.

4. Same idea as the techflex except in this case you want the heat shrink to be able to fit over your connector. (3/8ths inch just fits over a rean/aphenol 3.55mm plug, mini-xlr are about the same size) and then you'd want the shrink ratio to bring it down to a diameter lower than your cable outer diameter. (3/8ths inch 2:1 shrink ratio shrinks to 3/16ths which is a loose fit on mogami 2823. As for adhesive... its up to you.. I think its just complicated, if it shrinks tightly enough, it should stay with just friction.

 

This is if you're really picky. Crap even I don't think of half of this when I order my supplies.. I just go off of experience, if I had sat down to think about this after the first time I made a cable I would have saved so much money. Thank you for this lol.

The dimensions of the cable and connector should be on their datasheets.

 

Hope that helps.


Edited by FrozenPanda - 3/19/14 at 2:18pm
post #1642 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post

Cable noob here needing help on recabling.
Searching for the right cable in this 800 pages thread is a daunting task. So i could hope for a straightforward answer (and maybe be updated in the front page too, for easier future reference)
I need recommendation on recabling my T50RP. I'm planning to do dual sided mini xlr configuration and terminated with a 3.5mm connector.

Here are my questions :
1. Where to get a threaded 3.5mm connector? I found one at Qables website, but they are from the UK and I just don't have the time to wait for them to ship. Plus they only sell the jack and not the jacket.
2. Which cables to use? The choices are strictly from Redco though as I don't have the luxury to pay for shipping fees from other online store.
3. I'm going to use Techflex Flexo PET as the sleeve. Are the measurements given the maximum diameter before elongating the sleeve? How much elongation is when the diameter is minimum, after elongating the sleeve?
4. What are the points on choosing the right shrink tubes?

Do note that I'm only buying from Redco due to time and money constraint. Except for the threaded 3.5mm jack

Thanks for your advice!

Um I will try to answer your questions as best I can.  

 

1.  I have no idea haha sorry.

2.  I would go mogami as well.

3.  The thing about techflex is that it will stretch a lot so I wouldn't worry about the max diameter.  Just get the 1/4" and you will never have a problem with something being too big.  

4.  So I personally like 3/8" 3:1 non-adhesive heat shrink but that is just me. For most applications 3/8" seems to be the ideal diameter heat shrink, in some cases 1/4" and 1/2" will apply but I just carry 3/8" and it seems to ever give me problems.  Redco only has 2:1 but I still suggest 3/8".

 

Hope this helps.  Good luck with your project.  

post #1643 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenPanda View Post
 

Here are my suggestions to your questions.

 

1. This, i'm not too sure, sorry. These are rare, checkout the 3.5mm plug collection thread. I wish I could link but I seem to have lost it.. I swear its somewhere though xD.

2. Mogami is probably the best choice from Redco.

3. Maximum Diameter would be the largest it gets so you need to choose one that has a maximum diameter larger than the outer diameter of your cable. The closer the maximum diameter of the techflex is to the outer diamter of the cable the more transparent its going to look.

4. Same idea as the techflex except in this case you want the heat shrink to be able to fit over your connector. (3/8ths inch just fits over a rean/aphenol 3.55mm plug, mini-xlr are about the same size) and then you'd want the shrink ratio to bring it down to a diameter lower than your cable outer diameter. (3/8ths inch 2:1 shrink ratio shrinks to 3/16ths which is a loose fit on mogami 2823. As for adhesive... its up to you.. I think its just complicated, if it shrinks tightly enough, it should stay with just friction.

 

This is if you're really picky. Crap even I don't think of half of this when I order my supplies.. I just go off of experience, if I had sat down to think about this after the first time I made a cable I would have saved so much money. Thank you for this lol.

The dimensions of the cable and connector should be on their datasheets.

 

Hope that helps.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post
 

Um I will try to answer your questions as best I can.  

 

1.  I have no idea haha sorry.

2.  I would go mogami as well.

3.  The thing about techflex is that it will stretch a lot so I wouldn't worry about the max diameter.  Just get the 1/4" and you will never have a problem with something being too big.  

4.  So I personally like 3/8" 3:1 non-adhesive heat shrink but that is just me. For most applications 3/8" seems to be the ideal diameter heat shrink, in some cases 1/4" and 1/2" will apply but I just carry 3/8" and it seems to ever give me problems.  Redco only has 2:1 but I still suggest 3/8".

 

Hope this helps.  Good luck with your project.  

 

Thanks for your replies!

Well, I did found one from ebay, but it seems like the description below doesn't indicate that it's threaded. So i'm not sure here. I could ask when I get my parts then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-35mm-Male-3-5mm-3-Pole-Male-Repair-headphone-Jack-Plug-Metal-Audio-Solder-/310637049553?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item48536936d1

 

Another method was also considered. A bit pricy if the only objective was to only get the connector, but the extra box is a huge plus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takstar-HI-FI-headphone-Pro-80-earphone-DJ-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones-/271241380015?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item3f273f00af

 

I think my doubts about the techflex and the shrink tubes are gone now. Thanks again.

 

About the Mogami cable, which one do you recommend? If there isn't, I think I'll just go with the quad configuration or the Mogami W3106 which has 2 separate balanced cable.

 

And again, thanks for the advice!

post #1644 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post
 

 

 

 

Thanks for your replies!

Well, I did found one from ebay, but it seems like the description below doesn't indicate that it's threaded. So i'm not sure here. I could ask when I get my parts then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-35mm-Male-3-5mm-3-Pole-Male-Repair-headphone-Jack-Plug-Metal-Audio-Solder-/310637049553?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item48536936d1

 

Another method was also considered. A bit pricy if the only objective was to only get the connector, but the extra box is a huge plus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takstar-HI-FI-headphone-Pro-80-earphone-DJ-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones-/271241380015?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item3f273f00af

 

I think my doubts about the techflex and the shrink tubes are gone now. Thanks again.

 

About the Mogami cable, which one do you recommend? If there isn't, I think I'll just go with the quad configuration or the Mogami W3106 which has 2 separate balanced cable.

 

And again, thanks for the advice!

 

 

If you don't mind the long wait, you can always go with this:

 

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3573

 

Lunashops has a ton of DIY stuff for decent prices. You can even get some of the harder to find connectors. The only problem is that it takes a while for them to ship.

 

As for the Mogami cable, this is what I've used in the past:

 

http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2534.html


Edited by DVass13 - 3/20/14 at 5:31am
post #1645 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post



Thanks for your replies!
Well, I did found one from ebay, but it seems like the description below doesn't indicate that it's threaded. So i'm not sure here. I could ask when I get my parts then.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-35mm-Male-3-5mm-3-Pole-Male-Repair-headphone-Jack-Plug-Metal-Audio-Solder-/310637049553?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item48536936d1

Another method was also considered. A bit pricy if the only objective was to only get the connector, but the extra box is a huge plus.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takstar-HI-FI-headphone-Pro-80-earphone-DJ-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones-/271241380015?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item3f273f00af

I think my doubts about the techflex and the shrink tubes are gone now. Thanks again.

About the Mogami cable, which one do you recommend? If there isn't, I think I'll just go with the quad configuration or the Mogami W3106 which has 2 separate balanced cable.

And again, thanks for the advice!
At least the Pro80 is a good hp to boot if you do go that route. Mod the Pro80s with mini xlrs as well and get two cans. wink.gif
post #1646 of 6133
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't quite seem to find an answer.

Is Swifttech and Neutrik the only makers of 4-Pin XLR termination for making a balanced headphone cable?
post #1647 of 6133
Amphenol does as well. They're priced inbetween the Neutrik and the Switchcraft stuff it seems.
post #1648 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscotchguy View Post

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't quite seem to find an answer.

Is Swifttech and Neutrik the only makers of 4-Pin XLR termination for making a balanced headphone cable?

Amphenol makes the as well. You can also find generics which are of comparable quality. There are some nice 3 pins that you can swap pins for. The Vintage Audio Labs are a rough equivalent to Switch craft. Doublehelixcables sells them one off with a compatible insert as well.
post #1649 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

Amphenol does as well. They're priced inbetween the Neutrik and the Switchcraft stuff it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

Amphenol makes the as well. You can also find generics which are of comparable quality. There are some nice 3 pins that you can swap pins for. The Vintage Audio Labs are a rough equivalent to Switch craft. Doublehelixcables sells them one off with a compatible insert as well.

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I figured as much. I hate to sound too vain, but I was hoping for a "purdy" option. Maybe I will email Viablue and see if their pins are swappable. Do you know where to find rhodium plated pins, by chance?
post #1650 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVass13 View Post
 

 

 

If you don't mind the long wait, you can always go with this:

 

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3573

 

Lunashops has a ton of DIY stuff for decent prices. You can even get some of the harder to find connectors. The only problem is that it takes a while for them to ship.

 

As for the Mogami cable, this is what I've used in the past:

 

http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2534.html

 

Very nice find! No wonder I never found it. there isn't the usual "threaded" keyword lol.

But it's too long for me though. Guess I'll skip this then

 

Hmm, I'll try and read on that cable then and see as long as there's not so much negative reviews on it. Thanks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post


At least the Pro80 is a good hp to boot if you do go that route. Mod the Pro80s with mini xlrs as well and get two cans. wink.gif

 

Well, I could also transplant T50RP drivers in it just for kicks. If it fits that is.
I can also salvage some other stuff from it too. So it's a mighty investment I guess. Will try and consider though

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread