Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 91

post #1351 of 2707

It did come with that part. I didn't think it was sufficient since I'm used to seeing metal clamps like the ones from RCA jacks. I guess it should be enough. Thanks for your help guys.

post #1352 of 2707

The metal clamps common in RCA jacks are actually pretty terrible, the chuck Neutrik uses will clamp down evenly on the cable very tightly and ensure it doesn't budge.

 

There's a reason Neutrik is the choice for professional audio and video, they're tough and rarely fail, unless you run them over with a lift or something, that usually ruins stuff.

post #1353 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post

The metal clamps common in RCA jacks are actually pretty terrible, the chuck Neutrik uses will clamp down evenly on the cable very tightly and ensure it doesn't budge.

There's a reason Neutrik is the choice for professional audio and video, they're tough and rarely fail, unless you run them over with a lift or something, that usually ruins stuff.
Price doesn't always matter. I bought the $0.89 neutrik connectors and my cables are tough and sound perfect. I'm a musician myself and recording engineer of sorts. I wouldn't use anything that would sacrifice quality, and the neutriks of all kinds are great,,,
post #1354 of 2707

Well it wouldn't affect the sound unless you did damage the cables. From a live sound technicians standpoint I appreciate the durable cable clamp in Neutrik (not to be confused with their subsidiary Rean) connectors. Most cables fail at or near the connector, Neutrik cable clamps genuinely reduce damage to cables. They also provide strain relief from the joint, much stronger than a band of metal crimped on the cable jacket. 

 

For most use you'll never have an issue with that style, for me I see no reason to shy away from the Neutrik connectors with clamps.

post #1355 of 2707

Neutrik is what EVERY professional uses. Their quality is so tried and true it should never be questioned.

post #1356 of 2707

 

So this is a picture of plussound cable. I'm sure many of you will recognize it. They are both 8-strand braids, but I was curious if anyone is familiar with the bottom braid that is silver/black? I rather like the look and wouldn't mind doing that one my next cable. 

post #1357 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post
 

 

So this is a picture of plussound cable. I'm sure many of you will recognize it. They are both 8-strand braids, but I was curious if anyone is familiar with the bottom braid that is silver/black? I rather like the look and wouldn't mind doing that one my next cable. 

Yea I like that bottom look a lot too. I imagine its just understanding how the 8-wire braid works and then fitting in the two different colors in that pattern to get the look.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousListener View Post
 

What benefit is this geometry ?

Nothing. People might say itll help with noise rejection, but I doubt anyone could tell a difference. Its just for looks.

post #1358 of 2707

The amount of cable options is just overwhelming! There needs to be a section that lists like the top 10 budget cables for DIY. 

I'm only really looking at Mogami and Canare on Redco. Should I be looking at quad microphone cable or snake cable?

post #1359 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbriles2000 View Post
 

The amount of cable options is just overwhelming! There needs to be a section that lists like the top 10 budget cables for DIY. 

I'm only really looking at Mogami and Canare on Redco. Should I be looking at quad microphone cable or snake cable?


There are really only four that people commonly use. Depending on what youre doing its just Canare or Mogami Star Quad or their two conductor cable.

post #1360 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 


There are really only four that people commonly use. Depending on what youre doing its just Canare or Mogami Star Quad or their two conductor cable.

Ok thats really helpful! I'm building some grado woodies and I have never made a cable before. My girlfriend and I braided 8 strands of CAT5 together the other night, so at least I've got that part down!

 

I also just stumbled upon this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28-AWG-Silver-Teflon-Wire-Assortment-50-feet-7-strand-/380828029190?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item58ab1e9106

Is it more advantageous to do something like that or should I just go for the star quad?

post #1361 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbriles2000 View Post
 

The amount of cable options is just overwhelming! There needs to be a section that lists like the top 10 budget cables for DIY. 

I'm only really looking at Mogami and Canare on Redco. Should I be looking at quad microphone cable or snake cable?

yeah, its bewildering. even a top 3 for headphones under 10 dollars a foot/20 dollars a foot

 

top 3 for rca cables and so on.

post #1362 of 2707

OK I think I'm going to go with...

this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-24-AWG-7-x-0-23mm-Teflon-Silver-Plated-Copper-Wire-10-Meter-/301095818546?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item461ab59532

 

to braid a 5f cable together and terminate with

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3573

 

Anybody think that'll work well?

 

EDIT: realized the black wire I linked was shielded and had a standard white wire inside...

So I'll probably go with these and separate the two

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-feet-24-AWG-Shielded-Silver-Teflon-Wire-Twisted-Pair-/231147478200?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35d1769cb8


Edited by nbriles2000 - 2/13/14 at 12:15pm
post #1363 of 2707

24awg coax cable for headphones? That'll be quite thick and not very flexible.

post #1364 of 2707

 

Personally I think you'll be able to use that top wire as a headphone stand once you have it all braided up.

Both of your choices actually look really stiff, but others will correct me if I am wrong.

post #1365 of 2707

hi guys im looking to replace the long cable on my hd650 with a shorter one for using with my x3 dap. can anyone point me in the right direction? i just want a small 3.5 plug and obviously i know about the special sennheiser connections. its just the darn cable! i have searched but still confused. whats a reasonable budget for cable around 40 dollars? thanks guys.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread