or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 89

post #1321 of 6191

The short answer is it doesn't.

post #1322 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
 

The short answer is it doesn't.

It's actually happening in my earbuds in the cables I made right now =\

post #1323 of 6191

That sounds like a much more serious problem. Maybe a single strand of a wire shorted across the signal pins in the connector.

 

There's definitely something wrong with the cable.

post #1324 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhao19 View Post
 

It's actually happening in my earbuds in the cables I made right now =\


Youve got some other problem there. You have a short somewhere, either in the connectors or somewhere else in the cable, like a break or something. Audio can not just "leak" in these type of low current applications. Its something you or someone else did incorrectly or poorly in the construction of the cable.

post #1325 of 6191

Yep, sounds like you somehow connected the Left & Right channels together.

post #1326 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 


Youve got some other problem there. You have a short somewhere, either in the connectors or somewhere else in the cable, like a break or something. Audio can not just "leak" in these type of low current applications. Its something you or someone else did incorrectly or poorly in the construction of the cable.

But I've even tried connecting everything to only 4 separate wires, and made sure there were no shorts there.  Could it somehow be the plug?  It can't be the headphone connectors, as those are connected in no way except to the respective side's + and - wires.

post #1327 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhao19 View Post

But I've even tried connecting everything to only 4 separate wires, and made sure there were no shorts there.  Could it somehow be the plug?  It can't be the headphone connectors, as those are connected in no way except to the respective side's + and - wires.

Use a multimeter to test for continuity?
post #1328 of 6191

Can someone please link me to all the parts I require to make my own headphone cable from UK stores. I have a pair of Grado SR325i and sound no longer works. I have no idea about specific sizes and types of cable needed, I just want something equal or better than stock since my no longer works. I know they are soldered on and have a soldering iron ready.

post #1329 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dles0up View Post
 

Can someone please link me to all the parts I require to make my own headphone cable from UK stores. I have a pair of Grado SR325i and sound no longer works. I have no idea about specific sizes and types of cable needed, I just want something equal or better than stock since my no longer works. I know they are soldered on and have a soldering iron ready.


Read through the thread. All the links and more are here.

post #1330 of 6191

I'm interested in recabling a pair of IEM's. Where can I get a wire and housing for the wire? If it helps at all I'm planning to mod the TCM-125's which are not an expensive IEM, so I'm trying to keep the budget down on equipment. I also need a new soldering iron, if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks. 


Edited by halfinfinity - 2/4/14 at 9:04pm
post #1331 of 6191
The OP has a wealth of information on wire, soldering equipment and connectors.
post #1332 of 6191
Why do the many WBT style RCA connectors have threading where the wires come out? Is there some kind of insert you can get that screws in there or something?


post #1333 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

Why do the many WBT style RCA connectors have threading where the wires come out? Is there some kind of insert you can get that screws in there or something?


 

 

threaded cable strain relievers

post #1334 of 6191

Has anyone tried the JUPITER solid silver hook-up wires for IC's?  Would like to know how they perform.

 

Also how about these Stage III wires?


Edited by DMinor - 2/7/14 at 1:29pm
post #1335 of 6191

The best reply from the Steve Hoffman forums...

 

Quote:
 I personally prefer oxidized copper stripped out of 1950s vintage lamp cord, the kind where the rubber coating has hardened. Gives a less "digital" sound. :righton:

 

I'd like to have some of their caps though...

 

Or better yet, some Duelund cast cap's...

:D 


Edited by TrollDragon - 2/7/14 at 6:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread