or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 85

post #1261 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSung View Post

How do you guys get paracord sleeved cables through a tight connector? I can always get the cable through but the paracord always gets snagged n pulls off the cable as I try to thread it through


Little bit of white plumbers tape on the end of the wire before feeding?

post #1262 of 6137
A little tape as mentioned above, or leave the paracord a little long so it'll go past the end of the cable. You can then put the connector over pretty easily. Cut off the access paracord after.
post #1263 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by srslee View Post
 

Hi, my extension cable for my IEMs ripped and I wanted to repair it and hopefully shorten the extension cable a few inches. Here's a picture of it:

 
 
Would it still be possible to use the female connector in the picture or would I have to replace that entirely? I've never done this before, but I can solder. Guidance on how best to proceed would be much appreciated, thanks ^^

Please respond

post #1264 of 6137
Lots of missing information to answer your question.

Can you open the connector?
Are the inside solder contacts in place or damaged?
Do you own a multimeter?
post #1265 of 6137

Enameled and fiber reinforced wire, a plug that is molded on. Do yourself a favor, replace it and don't break the new one.

post #1266 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post
 

Enameled and fiber reinforced wire, a plug that is molded on. Do yourself a favor, replace it and don't break the new one.

 

Now that I'm looking at the picture on the computer and not my phone, I totally agree with this ^^^. 

 

Save yourself the frustration and time by simply buying new parts. It'll turn out better with far less work. 

post #1267 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post
 

 

Now that I'm looking at the picture on the computer and not my phone, I totally agree with this ^^^. 

 

Save yourself the frustration and time by simply buying new parts. It'll turn out better with far less work. 

 

Sounds good, the only thing is I've bought a couple replacements and cables are bulky/heavy, making it a bit uncomfortable to wear the IEMs. Any suggestions on where I could buy a 1.5 to 2 inch extension cable that's thin/light for a reasonable price? Having a difficult time finding a light cable that's around that length. Thanks guys.

post #1268 of 6137

What IEMs do you have and what length from connector to connector do you want the cable to be? Does it need 3 button remote inline, or other features?

post #1269 of 6137

Audio-Technica CKM500. Length needs to be any around 1.5 to 2 inches long and doesn't need any other features ^^

post #1270 of 6137

Hey Guys, I just have a quick question about the drain wire. It is only connected on one end when making an RCA jack and not on the other? I tried a search but couldn't find this info. I'm even seeing conflicting things online. 

post #1271 of 6137

It's more preference, I do both sides for more mechanical strength than anything. You can do it to just one though.

post #1272 of 6137
Not really.
From the Van Den Hul Wiring Guide:
Quote:
Using shielded twin core cable is recommended:
In this situation the audio signal ground is carried by a dedicated line, which signal current, being separated from the shield, can not easily be interfered with by the shield’s noise currents caused by external interference. This advantage especially counts when low (e.g. microphone) signal levels are being transferred and/or long cable lengths are used. (With shielded single core cable on the other hand, the noise signal built up across the shield effectively is in series with (i.e. adds up to) the audio signal).
Furthermore, in connecting the shield to ground only at one side of the cable and lifting it at the other side it functions as a true screen: It does not carry any audio signal; It screens the inner conductors and drains away unwanted noise to one location

If you do not have a twin core cable then connect the shield on both ends
post #1273 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXSS View Post

Not really.
From the Van Den Hul Wiring Guide:
If you do not have a twin core cable then connect the shield on both ends

 

I don't think it would be considered a drain wire on a single conductor cable. Generally I've only seen drain wire indicated on multi-conductor cable such as balanced or control cable.

post #1274 of 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXSS View Post

Not really.

From the Van Den Hul Wiring Guide:

If you do not have a twin core cable then connect the shield on both ends

I don't think it would be considered a drain wire on a single conductor cable. Generally I've only seen drain wire indicated on multi-conductor cable such as balanced or control cable.
The drain wire simply serves as an easier soldering point to the shield. Whether its single core or multi core, the drain is still the shield and thus you would connect it as the shield on the source side or both depending on the number of core wires.
post #1275 of 6137

Thanks for the replies guys.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by PXSS View Post


The drain wire simply serves as an easier soldering point to the shield. Whether its single core or multi core, the drain is still the shield and thus you would connect it as the shield on the source side or both depending on the number of core wires.

 

What I'm planning to do is use a wire with four inner wires and a shielding mesh. I want to use two of the wires as a positive and two as the ground. So do I connect the shield wire on one side or both sides? I'm suspecting only on one side.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread