Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best set up for a home theater with different HDMI versions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best set up for a home theater with different HDMI versions

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

  I bought a LG 47LM6200 3D ast year and have been happy with the picture quality but terrible tv quality audio.  I finally got around to purchasing a decent introductory home theater system (Energy Take Classic 5.0 + F12) and got a nice hand me down receiver (Onkyo tx sr804). I set everything up yesterday and did all of my calibrations and am very happy with the audio.  I am trying to optimize the video and audio the best I can and I am realizing that the only thing that is restricting me a little is my receiver because it has an older version HDMI Version 1.1, and it can't process the newer codec such as: Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD™ Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD.  

 

 Here is my question, I have a PS3 that has HDMI 1.4 and a new TV that has HDMI 1.4.  Right now I run my PS3 and my Comcast cable box which I assume is HDMI 1.4 as well, though my receiver, HDMI 1.1,  and then out to my TV HDMI 1.4.  I'm wondering if this set up is the best I can do with what I have or if I should be instead running my PS3 or cable box into my TV because they are all HDMI 1.4 and then out to my receiver?  Basically am I losing audio or video quality with my set up because of the different HDMI versions and is there a way to set it up for even more optimal quality?  

 

  I know that HDMI 1.1 doesn't support 3D and I do have a 3D TV so that is something to consider as well.  However I rarely use the 3D so it's not paramount that I have the 3D working but it would be nice if I do use it.  Also, I stream a lot of movies and music from my computer with Plex, to my PS3.  Am I losing audio and video quality because of my set up and would that look and sound better if it was sent straight from the ps3 to the TV because of the newer version HDMI connections?  I only ask this because I looked at a comparison chart and it seemed like a big difference between 1.1 and 1.4 was a much faster transfer rate which could affect the streaming from my computer?

 

  And finally, I could buy a new receiver and solve all of these problems.  I was going to buy a yamaha rx-v375 but as I said before I was lucky enough to get a great hand me down.  Do you think it is worth the money though to buy that receiver or am I not going to really notice much of a difference?  I am somewhat of a noob to audio.  

 

  Thank you in advance!

 

Daniel

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman9999 View Post

my receiver because it has an older version HDMI Version 1.1, and it can't process the newer codec such as: Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD™ Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD.  

Most likely, your receiver will support LPCM input. You can set the PS3 to do the HD audio processing itself and then output LPCM. Then you get the full HD sound. This is what I do with my six year old Denon receiver. Research LPCM (or PCM) output and PS3, and you should be able to find instructions for doing so.
post #3 of 8

I would say it's better to stick with the Onkyo, chances are the TX-SR804 (new $800) is going to have better amplifier(s) and a better (audio quality) DAC then the $200 Yamaha RX-V375. So in some ways your going to lose audio quality, switching to the RX-V375

 

I would assume video wise, the video signal from the PS3 would just pass thru the TX-SR804, to the TV.

 

If you were going to replace the TX-SR804, for HDMI 1.4 and DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD, I would think your looking at at least $330, for something like a refurb Yamaha RX-671, sold at accessories 4 less.

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I would say it's better to stick with the Onkyo, chances are the TX-SR804 (new $800) is going to have better amplifier(s) and a better (audio quality) DAC then the $200 Yamaha RX-V375. So in some ways your going to lose audio quality, switching to the RX-V375

I agree. The only benefits it seems you would get from upgrading is the 3D TV support and perhaps some SQ improvement by using YPAO. Otherwise, the better amp and DAC (at least comparable, but likely better) when used with the PS3 in LPCM output mode would probably trump the SQ in the V375.

Not only that, but for $300, you could upgrade your front left, right, and center channel and see an improvement in SQ. While the Energy Takes are great for small satellites, they still have the limitations of small satellite speakers. Some more speakers with bigger drivers can give you better sound. For example, the bookshelves (or for that matter the towers, when on sale at Frys) and center in the Pioneer Andrew Jones speaker series: http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Most likely, your receiver will support LPCM input. You can set the PS3 to do the HD audio processing itself and then output LPCM. Then you get the full HD sound. This is what I do with my six year old Denon receiver. Research LPCM (or PCM) output and PS3, and you should be able to find instructions for doing so.

I read up on PCM and it sounds like that setting will solve my HD audio problem!  When I set it to PCM my receiver says it is Multichannel now and doesn't give me any other audio options other than Direct and Pure where as I used to have Dolby, Neo and THX options.  I'm assuming that is because Multichannel is essentially Dolby HD and DTS HD now when I play Blue Ray correct?

 

Can you weigh in on Direct and Pure settings?  Is Direct going to be basically the same as my Multichannel setting now because all of the processing has been done in the PS3?

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 

I have been noticing a little issue with my video since this whole set up.  I put on The Dark Knight and I am noticing in certain scenes such as the first bank robbing scene that during quick movement there is a little bit of a blur all around the object or person moving.  I noticed this to when I played The Bourne Legacy through my Comcast On Demand.  I never noticed this before when I had everything plugged directly into the TV.  Are my HDMI versions messing with the final video output or is this something in the receiver doing this?

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 

Never mind on that last post about the whole blur.  Stupid me, I set my tv to Truemotion.  Turned that off and it's all good now.

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman9999 View Post

I read up on PCM and it sounds like that setting will solve my HD audio problem!  When I set it to PCM my receiver says it is Multichannel now and doesn't give me any other audio options other than Direct and Pure where as I used to have Dolby, Neo and THX options.  I'm assuming that is because Multichannel is essentially Dolby HD and DTS HD now when I play Blue Ray correct?

Right. LPCM/PCM means that the source device, in this case the PS3 (could be an HTPC or DVD player) is processing the audio encoding and sending it to the receiver ready to use. Then your receiver will implement bass management, tone controls, and other configuration settings (e.g., channel level).

Now, if you are watching Netflix with older TV shows that are only transmitted in stereo or listening to music files on your PS3, you won't be able to use Dolby Pro Logic because that only works with 2 channel, and the PS3 is sending a multichannel signal through LPCM even though there is no audio on the other channels. You'll have to turn off LPCM/PCM on the PS3 to use Dolby Pro Logic or Neo (if you have that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman9999 View Post

Can you weigh in on Direct and Pure settings?  Is Direct going to be basically the same as my Multichannel setting now because all of the processing has been done in the PS3?

It varies a little from receiver to receiver because those settings reduce the digital audio processing that the receiver does to the audio. You should download the manual and see what it says. smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best set up for a home theater with different HDMI versions