Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Entry Level Stax Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Entry Level Stax Thread - Page 60

post #886 of 2640

Meh...  just trying to be helpful in answering the original question, not doing a professional equipment review, just my honest impressions of of the two Stax amps originally asked about by Glorkaglickflic. 

post #887 of 2640
Hi everyone, I just received a 3010 system (SR-202, SRM-310) off of the Bay and I was excited to join the club and fall in love with Stax. BUT I have noticed buzzing/static in the right driver when certain notes are hit (particularly on female vocals or higher frequencies). Do you think this is the dreaded dust in the driver issue?
post #888 of 2640

Do you get any noise if you stop the music?  The noise from dust in the driver will not be depended on music being played.

post #889 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipsupt View Post

Do you get any noise if you stop the music?  The noise from dust in the driver will not be depended on music being played.

There is no noise when the music is off (and phones still powered). Hmm, what could it be? In either case, the seller is very understanding and we are working something out.
post #890 of 2640
Argh! I dreamt my dad had destroyed the right driver of my LS. Not good. Lol, the driver looked pretty untrue to reality in my dream. More like textured aluminium foil with the stators as harder foil with micro holes (though the right color). Silly me biggrin.gif
post #891 of 2640
So what are people's thoughts of the SR-407 vs SR-207?

I just tried the two next to each other at a local meet and the SR-407 sounded a little smoother to my ears in terms of the upper-midrange glare that's present in the SR-207 as well as treble peaks.

Also, the brown colour of the SR-407 is freaking ugly....I don't want poop brown in any of my audio gear. frown.gif
post #892 of 2640

I have the option to buy a sra-12s for a little more than 500$ locally. I think I'll pass as it has no pro bias output, yet it is tempting. There's also a lambda 300km away, can't quite see the model, and I am not sure about the condition as the pictures ain't too good. Yet it costs only 130$..

post #893 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I have the option to buy a sra-12s for a little more than 500$ locally. I think I'll pass as it has no pro bias output, yet it is tempting. There's also a lambda 300km away, can't quite see the model, and I am not sure about the condition as the pictures ain't too good. Yet it costs only 130$..

 

SRA-12S at that price...yeah, way overpriced. That's SRM-T1 money, easily.

 

Any sort of Lambda for $130, though? If it works, GRAB IT ASAP before someone else does! Heck, even if it doesn't work, it would probably fetch that much as a parts unit.

post #894 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

SRA-12S at that price...yeah, way overpriced. That's SRM-T1 money, easily.

 

Any sort of Lambda for $130, though? If it works, GRAB IT ASAP before someone else does! Heck, even if it doesn't work, it would probably fetch that much as a parts unit.

Hehe, yeah. Even with yet another useless srm-6 adapter. So I suppose it is a lambda NB. Question is whether I can get the seller to send it.. that'll add 20$ to the price as well. I'll try to write and ask.. I think it's quite funny with all this stax gear in such a small country as Denmark is.

About the sra-12s.. It does have some cool feature, yet we are talking normal bias and only 350 max voltage. According to ken rockwell it went for approx 500$ back in '11.

post #895 of 2640
Do any of you do mods to increase the comfort of your lambdas? I'm using a 507, and my ears rub up against the driver housing, which I find extremely irritating, so last night I shoved some memory foam under the pads (actually that little space in the between the pads and the housing), and now everything is gravy smily_headphones1.gif Anybody else do similar things to increase comfort?
Edited by mangler - 1/6/14 at 10:42am
post #896 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post

Do any of you do mods to increase the comfort of your lambdas? I'm using a 507, and my ears rub up against the driver housing, which I find extremely irritating, so last night I shoved some memory foam under the pads (actually that little space in the between the pads and the housing), and now everything is gravy smily_headphones1.gif Anybody else do similar things to increase comfort?

I found using extra thick double adhessive to stick the pads to the fram improved comfort, despite it being only 1-2 mm thick.

post #897 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I found using extra thick double adhessive to stick the pads to the fram improved comfort, despite it being only 1-2 mm thick.

That's a great idea! The pads are stiffer with my "mod", which does decrease comfort a bit, but your mod would fix that problem. So am I right in thinking you can just peel the pads off, add the tape, and slap everything back together?
post #898 of 2640
Hmm. I have some thick 3m weather stripping laying around with that foam rubber consistency. May try it out for fun.
post #899 of 2640
Beware of gooey residue though. It really gives a more spacey feeling for me. It also altered the sound slightly towards a little colder and less involving mid range
post #900 of 2640

Just make sure the tape filling material isn't too porous.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Entry Level Stax Thread