Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Entry Level Stax Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Entry Level Stax Thread - Page 56

post #826 of 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post
 

 

The difference between 230V and 580V bias is that the bass gets tighter at the expense of more etch because the diaphragm gets tighter, and the stators are placed farther apart. The technical parts, I learned from the Stax brochure that came with my SRM-1/MK2.

 

The Lambda NB beats pretty much every other Lambda I've tried in terms of the treble presentation.

 

(I really wish my T1 wasn't dead right now.)

You mean mids? The NB is well known for its mids, treble is lacking extension but no infamous etch present on some models. That was the only thing good about them, natural midrange but the expense of low-end and bit of extension on treble and such compared to a better pro-bias LNS or so. At least this is my personal interpretation of the 3 or 4 normal bias that I've owned along with the other earspeaker crap (good crap).


Edited by DefQon - 12/8/13 at 10:33pm
post #827 of 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

You mean mids? The NB is well known for its mids, treble is lacking extension but no infamous etch present on some models. That was the only thing good about them, natural midrange but the expense of low-end and bit of extension on treble and such compared to a better pro-bias LNS or so.  

 

No. I am speaking purely of the technical differences between Normal and Pro bias, regardless of headphone model, unless you mean my comment on the treble, which of course has to do with the etch (or lack thereof). Sure, other earspeakers might have better potential combined attributes, but how much more do you have to spend on the amp to make it so? For someone like me, the Lambda Normal bias is the end-game with the amp I have.

 

Also, I have learned to stop listening to the opinions of anyone else when it comes to Stax, because other people's opinions usually end up differing from my own (even when I go to great lengths to be unbiased and scientific in my observations). The only ears I trust in this thread are mine.


Edited by Tus-Chan - 12/8/13 at 10:47pm
post #828 of 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post
 

 

No. I am speaking purely of the technical differences between Normal and Pro bias, regardless of headphone model, unless you mean my comment on the treble, which of course has to do with the etch (or lack thereof). Sure, other earspeakers might have better potential combined attributes, but how much more do you have to spend on the amp to make it so? For someone like me, the Lambda Normal bias is the end-game with the amp I have.

 

Also, I have learned to stop listening to the opinions of anyone else when it comes to Stax, because other people's opinions usually end up differing from my own (even when I go to great lengths to be unbiased and scientific in my observations). The only ears I trust in this thread are mine.

Yeah if that's what you meant I can't disagree with you then, your ears your impressions I was just reading it sideways and it sounded off as if you were stating it like a fact (which you didn't). So all good.

post #829 of 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post
 

 

The difference between 230V and 580V bias is that the bass gets tighter at the expense of more etch because the diaphragm gets tighter, and the stators are placed farther apart. The technical parts, I learned from the Stax brochure that came with my SRM-1/MK2.

 

The Lambda NB beats pretty much every other Lambda I've tried in terms of the treble presentation.

 

(I really wish my T1 wasn't dead right now.)

You mean mids? The NB is well known for its mids, treble is lacking extension but no infamous etch present on some models. That was the only thing good about them, natural midrange but the expense of low-end and bit of extension on treble and such compared to a better pro-bias LNS or so. At least this is my personal interpretation of the 3 or 4 normal bias that I've owned along with the other earspeaker crap (good crap).

schiit (good schiit).

 

It's killing me being in school. A blown HE-500 and an old (new) Sigma at home.. Got a srd-6 box with it btw. Can it possibly sound better with a speaker amp and the srd-6 (compared to the T1)?

post #830 of 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

schiit (good schiit).

 

It's killing me being in school. A blown HE-500 and an old (new) Sigma at home.. Got a srd-6 box with it btw. Can it possibly sound better with a speaker amp and the srd-6 (compared to the T1)?

By blown, you don't literally mean "blown" as in being damaged right? :confused:

post #831 of 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

schiit (good schiit).

 

It's killing me being in school. A blown HE-500 and an old (new) Sigma at home.. Got a srd-6 box with it btw. Can it possibly sound better with a speaker amp and the srd-6 (compared to the T1)?

By blown, you don't literally mean "blown" as in being damaged right? :confused:

Yep. Wanna see?

 

post #832 of 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post
(I really wish my T1 wasn't dead right now.)

 

Oh no, what the hell happened to it? I had no idea it was living on borrowed time...

post #833 of 1196

I believe a (the) tube(s) died. I actually have no idea, though.

 

It works, assuming you like lots of distortion in the left channel.

post #834 of 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post
 

I believe a (the) tube(s) died. I actually have no idea, though.

 

It works, assuming you like lots of distortion in the left channel.

 

Adjust DC offset with a DMM to measure get as close possible 0vdc.

 

Tube gone bad is also another possibility, make sure no resistors gone bad inside.

 

 

@davidsh: that sucks!

post #835 of 1196

Sigma and gaming. I wonder... :rolleyes:

 

Too bad I don't really have the time right now.

post #836 of 1196

It seems the Sigma synergises well with metal and EDM along with cello and piano. Decent with vocals, though not necessarily the best I have heard. Am about to try with symphonies now. I do find it to be limited by the T1 (without really knowing the alternatives). The bass can be slightly boomy, the sound isn't as engaging as I'd wish, they can be a little soft sounding. Actually, they do seem to be more dynamic sounding than my lambda sig, yet limited by the amp. I am sure a better amp can tighten that bass a little as well. A bit of solid state sound wouldn't do anything either, I suppose.

post #837 of 1196
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post
 

Not as in...

 

My quote is from T2, the hot Terminator chick was in T3. :tongue_smile:

She had a lousy personality, though.

post #838 of 1196
Well, it's related. XD
post #839 of 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post
 

When tubes are tested, what does the result number, in the form of "xx/xx" mean?

A triode has two systems inside the tube. The numbers should be as close as possible, that means that the two systems emit electrons equally strong. A higher number usually indicates that the tube is in a good shape. Depending on which type of tube and tube testing device there is a number that is equal to 100% quality (=full power).

post #840 of 1196

Anybody ever gone on a plane ride with their STAX? Not wearing them on the plane itself, just putting them in a carry-on.

I'm considering bringing my SR-202s back home over winter break, but I don't know if the cardboard and styrofoam box would fare very well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Entry Level Stax Thread