Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Entry Level Stax Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Entry Level Stax Thread - Page 35

post #511 of 1374

Tus-Chan, DefQon and Ali-Pacha, thank you for answering my question.

 

Haven't heard the whole AKG K70x series, but I have heard the K701 a few years back and distinctly remembered hating the sound.

It is open, but the sound is simply too blend like a mesh of thing.

I found the Phonitor to be very good with the HD800, but at that price you would expect it to be.

 

Back to Stax, anyone heard the Stax Pro Classic. I can hardly find any information regarding this one.

post #512 of 1374

Yeah, the only AKG I've heard is the k701 and I can say that my SR-202 sounded better when I A/B'd them. They're both open and airy, but the K701 sounded fake and harsh compared to the Stax.

post #513 of 1374

I'd agree with Spritzer there and I've been saying it for a long time, AKG went backwards after the K501/601 which are two nice sounding mid range headphones, anybody who raves about the K/Q701/2 being on par with other higher end offerings once driven by $1k amps don't have a clue what they are talking about, frankly said they sound like turd compared to the K501 or maybe even the K1k which I haven't heard. 

 

With the ET-1k, they are far from the Lambda level, first thing to go was that shoddy earpads which was a hit and miss with providing a proper seal. They pop up for less than $150 now and then with the it's energizer/amplifier.

post #514 of 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

I'd agree with Spritzer there and I've been saying it for a long time, AKG went backwards after the K501/601 which are two nice sounding mid range headphones, anybody who raves about the K/Q701/2 being on par with other higher end offerings once driven by $1k amps don't have a clue what they are talking about, frankly said they sound like turd compared to the K501 or maybe even the K1k which I haven't heard. 

 

 

The k601 were released at the same time as the k701 as a lower end offering, they are not an older or "more vintagey" model.

 

And you're welcome to your opinion that the k701 "sound like turd compared to the K501", but as a owner of k400, k500, k501, k601, k701, and several other AKG's I'll respectfully disagree. The k501 and k701 both have their strengths and weaknesses.

 

But I do prefer my stax and koss esp950 to the AKG models.

post #515 of 1374

I thought the K 701 were simply terrible both in sound and comfort. Even stuff AKG made in the '70s sound and wear better.

 

Not sure why spritzer seemingly dislikes the '80s DT 990 but finds the HD 600 commendable.

post #516 of 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpoor View Post
 

 

 

The k601 were released at the same time as the k701 as a lower end offering, they are not an older or "more vintagey" model.

 

And you're welcome to your opinion that the k701 "sound like turd compared to the K501", but as a owner of k400, k500, k501, k601, k701, and several other AKG's I'll respectfully disagree. The k501 and k701 both have their strengths and weaknesses.

 

But I do prefer my stax and koss esp950 to the AKG models.

 

Do you like your esp950 or stax more?

post #517 of 1374

Friend of mine who's just bought a SR-5 Gold + SRD-6/SB, apparently mint, with boxes like new, etc...

He came to my house (I've a classic SR-5, first owner, legacy from my father who bought it in 1979), in order to compare.

 

First strange thing : very very light pair compared to mine

Second strange thing : no more sound in my SR-5 when both are plugged in (SRD-7/SB)

Third strange thing : sound really weak, shouty, without body and/or bass

Fourth strange thing : what I can see in the cups through the mesh does'nt look like a stat driver. There's also a little bump on the back of the cups

 

I tell him I want to open it, have a bad feeling about this.

Holy **** ! Some crappy "no-name" dynamic drivers in the cups :eek: The bump on the back as a consequence of a kind of screw on the back of those ****ty drivers...Bias wire not plugged in, obviously.

 

Did you ever encounter such things ? The headphones are aesthetically perfect, it's quite unbelievable...

 

Ali


Edited by Ali-Pacha - 9/29/13 at 2:27pm
post #518 of 1374

^ tell us more!

Any idea what type of dynamic driver???? Hope he has time to give the seller crap and get his $ back. First time I have heard of this myself. Anyone else?

Boy he's lucky you checked it out or he'd be thinking they weren't that great for the rest of his time owning them.

Sorry to hear.

post #519 of 1374

No idea, there's no brand on them, it's really "no-name". And I've no xp enough to know where those things do come from. They are metal-protected, and are not HD6xx drivers (I do have a HD600 and once unmounted them).

I also have a SR-X mk3 with busted drivers (same as SR-5 Gold), probably used way too loud with energizer (drawback of no distorsion / clarity). I assume one of the previous owner had the same problem. But this tricky swap...

I'm very happy with my SR-5 right now, I can tell :L3000:

 

Ali

post #520 of 1374

Did they modify the transformer box too?  I'd think it would easily destroy the dynamic drivers.

post #521 of 1374

No, since it works on my SRD-7/SB. Does a classic driver work on stat amp/transformer when bias is unplugged ? Or are those electret drivers ? I've no picture of them...I can ask him, but now he's gone, and pretty angry about the seller, for sure.


Ali

post #522 of 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpoor View Post
 

 

 

The k601 were released at the same time as the k701 as a lower end offering, they are not an older or "more vintagey" model.

 

And you're welcome to your opinion that the k701 "sound like turd compared to the K501", but as a owner of k400, k500, k501, k601, k701, and several other AKG's I'll respectfully disagree. The k501 and k701 both have their strengths and weaknesses.

 

But I do prefer my stax and koss esp950 to the AKG models.

Sorry but we can agree to disagree, the K701 was a downright disappointment and still are. The only thing I can give credit for the K/Q701/2 is comfort and soundstage. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
 

I thought the K 701 were simply terrible both in sound and comfort. Even stuff AKG made in the '70s sound and wear better.

 

Not sure why spritzer seemingly dislikes the '80s DT 990 but finds the HD 600 commendable.

Indeed but comfort was not bad. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-Pacha View Post
 

No, since it works on my SRD-7/SB. Does a classic driver work on stat amp/transformer when bias is unplugged ? Or are those electret drivers ? I've no picture of them...I can ask him, but now he's gone, and pretty angry about the seller, for sure.


Ali

 

Holy schit!

 

Just wondering did your friend buy the Stax off the German ebay domain? Because I did see a seller selling SRD adaptor with SR-5Gold earspeaker with original boxes but listed as untested or something. 

post #523 of 1374

Thanks DefQon for the SR5+SRD7 Amp advice. I'll have to continue searching for a suitable one, for now my Audioengine N22 works, but I can feel the untapped potential in the SR-5.

Have you ever thought of swapping the earpads? IMO the stock ones are not that comfortable for extended listening.

I had an extra pair of Mr.Speakers Alpha Pads so I decided to swap them in.

They're extremely comfortable (like pillows), and improve the seal, and subsequently the sound IMO.

 

However, does anyone know if having a tight seal on these phones would create too much pressure on the thin diaphragm, and be damaging to them?

 

I already get that "crackle" sometimes with the stock pads, which i hear is common but I'd hate to ruin the phones at the expense of comfort. 

post #524 of 1374

What do you guys think is the best idea for a relatively budget stax setup?:
 

Get the 2170 vs get some vintage stax like the lambda pro and grab a used amp (323s?) vs get the Koss ESP-950

 

I thought the HD800 was a bit too bright, but the LCD-3 was too closed in and dark. The SR-007 Mk1 was a tad dark as well.

post #525 of 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyProduce View Post
 

What do you guys think is the best idea for a relatively budget stax setup?:
 

Get the 2170 vs get some vintage stax like the lambda pro and grab a used amp (323s?) vs get the Koss ESP-950

 

I thought the HD800 was a bit too bright, but the LCD-3 was too closed in and dark. The SR-007 Mk1 was a tad dark as well.

Dunno since the prices of vintage Stax really has inflated over the years... Still, if you can get a T1 tube amp or a srm-1 mk.2 and some vintage lambda at a good price. Seems like you want a balanced signature so... the Nova Signature maybe?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Entry Level Stax Thread