For the past month or so I've been planning to buy the Schiit Valhalla and the Bifrost. However, a friend informed me on how they didn't sound much different from the Magni and Modi, with the Mad Dogs. Is this really true? If not, which one is better?
Related Forum Threads
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Asked a lot but... LCD-2 Rev 2. vs HE-500 Last post on 2/7/14 at 3:09am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
Schiit amps for the Mad Dogs W/ Alpha Pads
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 88/9/13 at 4:45pmpost #3 of 88/9/13 at 4:51pmFrom the Schiit Website."Can Valhalla drive my orthodynamic headphones?Being polite: not a chance. Although Valhalla can deliver large voltages into high-impedance headphones, it cannot supply the current needed for low-efficiency, low-impedance orthodynamic headphones. If you have Audeze or HiFiMan headphones, look at Lyr. LCD-2s, HE-400s, and HE-500s are also efficient enough to be used with Asgard, if you’d like an all-solid-state option."
Edited by M3NTAL - 8/9/13 at 4:54pmpost #4 of 88/9/13 at 8:30pmThread Starterpost #5 of 810/20/13 at 3:09pm
I haven't tried the Mad Dogs with the Valhalla, but I have used the Mad Dogs with Magni, Asguard 2, and the Lyr (GE Tubes). I can say without question that the Mad Dogs sound better with the Lyrs than the other two. More impact an and sparkle. More intimate sound. You'll note the Lyr is specifically designed for Orthos. Based on my experience combined with the messaging on the Schiit site, I'd strongly recommend the Lyr to get the most of the Mad Dogs in this price range.post #6 of 810/20/13 at 8:18pmThread Starterpost #7 of 810/20/13 at 10:32pm
- Schiit amps for the Mad Dogs W/ Alpha Pads
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Design. Phase 2: Poll running and the micro iDSD... 6 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio WA3 or Schiit Valhalla? 9 seconds ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 9 seconds ago
- › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) 18 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 43 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 56 seconds ago
- › Finding the perfect pair of dedicated home cans 1 minute ago
- › CHORD HUGO preview report 1 minute ago
- › FS: Mr. Speakers Mad Dog w/ leather Alpha Pads 1 minute ago
- › The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club 1 minute ago
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob