Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 507

post #7591 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatsare1 View Post

^^^Ableza, a big +1, your advice led me to the Alpha Dogs. I have had mine all of 4 hours now and I agree (though I have put a in one Dog Treat per side). I am fairly new to HeadFi, not to Audiophilia, but these AD's are the best I have ever heard. I really didn't understand when others referred to the HD650's as "grainy", now I know what they were referring too. With the Alpha Dogs the music rises out of a deep, silent "blackness". Sound staging and imaging are excellent, closed-back, no problem. With the Wyrd>Modi>Lyr 2, these baby's rock, it's early, but I don't see why anyone would want to mess with the bass adjustment.

MrSpeakers/Dan, well done, these are exceptional headphones, more to come after some serious listening.

 

As I told you in PM, the Alpha Dogs caused me to relegate my HD650's to a closet in storage.  :darthsmile:

post #7592 of 8576
^Happily a MrSpeaker Alpha Dog Fanbois 😜
post #7593 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgunsphd View Post

Is it possible to desolder the 1/4 trs and solder on a 4 pin xlr for the stock cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ableza View Post

Anything is possible... but why not just order a balanced cable from MrSpeakers?
They pop up on the FS forums frequently. I sold mine a month or so ago. A fellow head-fier built a cable with 1/4 and 4 pin adapters for me.
post #7594 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post



They pop up on the FS forums frequently. I sold mine a month or so ago. A fellow head-fier built a cable with 1/4 and 4 pin adapters for me.


If you are talking about building an adaptor to go from 1/4" to balanced, you have to understand this is not a true balanced connection as you have common grounds. Even though you will have separate ground pins on the balanced XLR connector, the grounds are tied together on the 1/4" plug. You have to be very careful to make sure the amp you are plugging the balanced connector into can have the grounds tied together. Amps such as the Schiit Mjolnir, Virtue, and T-amps using Tripath power cannot have the grounds connected together. The Mjolnir has a protection circuit which should shut the amp down, but the other amps may be shorted and blown. Even if you are safe to go from 1/4" to balanced, you are not getting the true benefit of a balanced circuit-isolation of the channels from each other.

 

If you go use an adaptor to go from balanced to 1/4", you will be safe. But you will lose the isolation of the balanced connector.

post #7595 of 8576
^^^ not what I was talking about. I have a new cable. Mini XLR on main cable. Mini XLR to 4 pin XLR balanced, mini XLR to 1/4" SE adapters. Sold my old balanced cable.
post #7596 of 8576

These cans would look amazing in MIDNIGHT BLUE. Are there more colors coming soon?

post #7597 of 8576

 Don't think so. ^^

 

Black won the secondary color contest. The only other color produced was an accidental one. 

post #7598 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ableza View Post

As I told you in PM, the Alpha Dogs caused me to relegate my HD650's to a closet in storage.  darthsmile.gif
yes now that I have the alpha dogs, I only use my beyerdynamic dt 880 600 ohm cans, for taking walks at night.
post #7599 of 8576

I saw that the MrSpeakers site gives the lead time as 4 days now, is that still accurate?

 

A lot of people must have the Alpha Dog by now but I haven't seen many impressions.

post #7600 of 8576
Reddog, I just got my AD's Saturday, tell me more about your experience with the Alpha Dogs, Lyr 2. What are you using as a source, what tubes in your Lyr, types of music, any recommendations on any music you have really enjoyed?
post #7601 of 8576

I just had a short, but interesting listen to the Alpha Dogs.  I was listening the "Lock Howl" off of the Storm Corrosion Blu-Ray on my main speaker system (Ohm Micro Walsh Talls with an Emotiva sub).  This is definitely an inexpensive but exquisite set-up that has amazing detail and soundstage.  Anyway, I was listening to the DTS-Master mix, and said to myself, "It's too bad my headphones can't sound this good."

 

I stopped the track, put the Alpha's on, and played it again.  I still under-estimate these headphones, even though I've had them since the first batch went out late last year.  True, they can't compete to the open, room-filling sound of omni directional speakers like the Ohm's, but then again, nothing can.

 

But it was all there- the soundstage, the detail, the sound of the pick on the strings of the guitar.  Even the imaging was spot-on (for a headphone).

 

Anyway, I am expecting the Grado GS1000 e's tomorrow, and I'm on the tour for the Hifiman HE-560's, which are due to me in about 3 weeks.  I'm going to put the Alpha's against both of these high-end cans, and write an review/comparison.  I notice there aren't very many reviews for these so far, and it's time I added my 2 cents.

 

Here's a link to the song, if anyone's interested:

 

 

post #7602 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatsare1 View Post

Reddog, I just got my AD's Saturday, tell me more about your experience with the Alpha Dogs, Lyr 2. WhHelat are you using as a source, what tubes in your Lyr, types of music, any recommendations on any music you have really enjoyed?
Hello I have had my AD's for about 3 weeks now. I figured d they are a superb headphone, the sound seems to effortlessly to project into your head. The sound is lush, vibrant. The level of detail is amazing and they seem pretty transparent to my ears. The treble is perfect, seems to compliment the sound. Furthermore the bass is great, it's there but not overwhelming. Overall the sound is neutral and that is what I desire out of a set of cans.
I am using stock tubes for now, and after 80 to 100 hours of burn in, the soundstage seemed to open up and the overall signature sound seemed more lush, the midrange seemed to open up. The highs seemed smoother, more pronounced. My course is a old Kenwood cd player, which goes into my pioneer Reciever/ dac 24 bit to 192 , then my lyr 2. I am hoping to get a better schiit audio dac ( either the Gungnir or the Uber Bifrost),but for now my system sounds great I have listened to Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Frank Zappa, Led Zepplin, Eric Clapton, Sex Pistols, Vangelis, Tomita, Moody Blues, Uriha Heep, Dave Brubeck, Thelonious Munk, John Coltrain, Charles Mingus, Pink Floyd, Negativeland, and bunch or pirate chants and stuff. I really enjoyed Chesky's The Ultimate Demonstration Disc.
P.s I plan on getting a computer to replace my o l d workhorse. Please have a goodnight and happy listening.
post #7603 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post


Hello I have had my AD's for about 3 weeks now. I figured d they are a superb headphone, the sound seems to effortlessly to project into your head. The sound is lush, vibrant. The level of detail is amazing and they seem pretty transparent to my ears. The treble is perfect, seems to compliment the sound. Furthermore the bass is great, it's there but not overwhelming. Overall the sound is neutral and that is what I desire out of a set of cans.
I am using stock tubes for now, and after 80 to 100 hours of burn in, the soundstage seemed to open up and the overall signature sound seemed more lush, the midrange seemed to open up. The highs seemed smoother, more pronounced. My course is a old Kenwood cd player, which goes into my pioneer Reciever/ dac 24 bit to 192 , then my lyr 2. I am hoping to get a better schiit audio dac ( either the Gungnir or the Uber Bifrost),but for now my system sounds great I have listened to Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Frank Zappa, Led Zepplin, Eric Clapton, Sex Pistols, Vangelis, Tomita, Moody Blues, Uriha Heep, Dave Brubeck, Thelonious Munk, John Coltrain, Charles Mingus, Pink Floyd, Negativeland, and bunch or pirate chants and stuff. I really enjoyed Chesky's The Ultimate Demonstration Disc.
P.s I plan on getting a computer to replace my o l d workhorse. Please have a goodnight and happy listening.


Tomita? Uriah Heep?

 

Dude, that's like my infinite playlist!

post #7604 of 8576

SWSPIERS, the comparison you mentioned -- the Alpha Dogs with the HD560 and the Grado -- would be very very interesting.  Of course, the HD560 and the Grados are open headphones and would likely have a more open sound, but it will be very interesting to see how they compare in other ways.  Look forward to your review.

post #7605 of 8576
I like the older stuff lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones