Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 455

post #6811 of 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeskR View Post
 


The Alpha Dogs are inherently harder to drive as they are an inefficient Planar Magnetic driver as opposed to the HD800s which use a Dynamic driver.

Planar magnetic drivers usually have low impedance but are inefficient, I think most people suggest you need at least ~600mW at 50 ohms where as I'm guessing the HD800 could be driven well off much less at 300 ohms.

 

Someone please correct me if any of this is wrong, relatively new too most of this business :beyersmile:

 

 

I thought so too, but Dan also tuned these T50rp for better performance, so i'm not sure which is easier to drive. Reason I ask this question is because I just bought an Alo audio RX (original) and some reviewer I found are with the HD800

post #6812 of 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law87 View Post
 

 

 

I thought so too, but Dan also tuned these T50rp for better performance, so i'm not sure which is easier to drive. Reason I ask this question is because I just bought an Alo audio RX (original) and some reviewer I found are with the HD800


Even still I would say they physically need more wattage going into them then the dynamic driver in the HD800.

 

edit: typo fix:meant to type more not less :blink:


Edited by TeskR - 4/29/14 at 11:47pm
post #6813 of 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeskR View Post


Even still I would say they physically need less wattage going into them then the dynamic driver in the HD800.

I wouldn't.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.
post #6814 of 8779

Just received my gloss black Alpha Dog, they are nothing less than amazing!

 

However I often listen to music loud and need to depending on the situation but with the arrow 3g it just doesn't quite cut it. I would like another portable, reasonably cheap amp that is very capable of driving these. My first thought was the E12 but would that be a big step up from the arrow?

 

If there are any other reasonably priced recommendations please let me know (up to $400).

post #6815 of 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by reminence View Post
 

Just received my gloss black Alpha Dog, they are nothing less than amazing!

 

However I often listen to music loud and need to depending on the situation but with the arrow 3g it just doesn't quite cut it. I would like another portable, reasonably cheap amp that is very capable of driving these. My first thought was the E12 but would that be a big step up from the arrow?

 

If there are any other reasonably priced recommendations please let me know (up to $400).

ifi iCan, either the micro or the nano.

post #6816 of 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

ifi iCan, either the micro or the nano.


+1!

post #6817 of 8779

I am not sure of the actual power that the arrow delivers so I am unsure of the amount of power I need by comparison. The Ican nano doesn't look appealing at all being 150mw into 32ohm where as the other ican does 400mw seams better but still isn't the 880mw of the E12. I know there is probably more at play here but I know the arrow is already no slouch not to mention the X-mini is an option at that price.


Edited by reminence - 4/29/14 at 1:15pm
post #6818 of 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by reminence View Post
 

I am not sure of the actual power that the arrow delivers so I am unsure of the amount of power I need by comparison. The Ican nano doesn't look appealing at all being 150mw into 32ohm where as the other ican does 400mw seams better but still isn't the 880mw of the E12. I know there is probably more at play here but I know the arrow is already no slouch not to mention the X-mini is an option at that price.

yeah, i actually think the nano will be underpowered. when i had the ADs, my nano iDSD couldn't drive them very well. i think the micro iCan should fare better...

post #6819 of 8779
My initial impressions compared with my he500 is that I find the ADs more resolving, the bass is not as thick. I can clearly hear the vocals without the background instruments mudding the foreground. It's surprising how open the ADs are. Sometimes I feel that they are as open as the he500s but it may be because the vocals are so clear. I do miss some of the bass. The HDVD800 drives them well. I do not have another amp to compare to. With my mbp volume to 100%, player at 100%, the hdvd800 knob is at around the 30-40%. I'll continue listening and give more impressions.

Edited by sobrietywarrior - 4/29/14 at 5:26pm
post #6820 of 8779
One thing I didn't mention was isolation. I'm using the dogs at work and people are constantly talking around me. Unfortunately outside noises are still very evident. With my music playing I'm not easily distracted but with softer music there's a good amount of noise that gets in. At least my music isn't getting out.
post #6821 of 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrietywarrior View Post

One thing I didn't mention was isolation. I'm using the dogs at work and people are constantly talking around me. Unfortunately outside noises are still very evident. With my music playing I'm not easily distracted but with softer music there's a good amount of noise that gets in. At least my music isn't getting out.
Hmmm, that's interesting. I found the ADs to isolate extremely well, on par with the senn hd280 and darth beyers of yesteryear.
post #6822 of 8779

^^ +2 I had great isolation from outside noise. I have quite a noisy household. 

post #6823 of 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrietywarrior View Post

One thing I didn't mention was isolation. I'm using the dogs at work and people are constantly talking around me. Unfortunately outside noises are still very evident. With my music playing I'm not easily distracted but with softer music there's a good amount of noise that gets in. At least my music isn't getting out.


are you comparing this to a bose QC15? cause your not going to get that level of noise isolation and cancellation.

post #6824 of 8779
Yah I'm quite surprised by that. I was hoping for almost a complete isolated listening experience but it may just depend on your listenig area. With the music I listen to the outside noise doesn't bother me much.
post #6825 of 8779
I wasn't comparing it to a noise canceling phone but I was expecting more isolation. I'll just tell everyone to tone their asses down. =)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones