Great impressions UNIFi, how does DX1000 compare to Alpha Dog in terms of isolation, closer to th600 or Alpha Dog?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Alpha Dogs vs Open Cans? Last post on 12/7/14 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- CIEM vs Full Sized Last post on 12/11/14 at 10:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best recommendation for budget closed full size over the ear headphones under $25 Last post on 11/5/14 at 9:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs Vs. Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI Last post on 11/24/14 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread Last post on Today at 10:15 pm in Headphones (full-size)
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
This is gonna be a simple review BASS For a $7 in ear it is actually really good. A little overbearing at times but quite articulate considering the price. MIDS They are not airy and vocals by...
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able...
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 451
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Could you please tell me which or what DACs/AMPs you used to pair and wrote those impressions early post? Thanks.
So after days of listening to the AD and comparing to some of my other cans, colour me impressed. I mainly impressed with how great and detailed the mid range is. As far as it goes I've now tuned the bass screw 1 full turn and I'm enjoying the small amount of extra bass I've gained. I intend to experiment with the discs/dots when I can buy some in the future (cannot do that right now due to not being home soon).
As far as the all round sound quality goes, I'd put it on an equal standing to my DX1000, but a bit above the TH600 and Signature DJ.
- Most flat and complete mid range - better mid range detail and clarity
- highly detailed
- solid imaging/separation, but not the best out of these
- decent soundstage
- well extended bass - but the weakest in quantity of the three by some way
- sound is pretty quick and effortless
- treble slightly hard but discs fix that
- heaviest of these - but comfortable
- strong isolation and barely any leak
- hardest to drive
- very detailed for a closed can
- very good seperation/imaging - give it a slight nod over the AD
- deeply extended and very powerful bass - sub bass rumble is very real and can be felt - however bass can bleed a bit
- somewhat drier mid range, there is a dip in the bottom of the mids that can make it sound thin sometimes - mids are slightly receded
- big soundstage for a closed can
- treble is bright and can be overly harsh with the wrong recordings - definitely noticeably elevated
- not as fast as the AD in highly complex/fast music
- very light and comfortable - however a small pressure point on top of my head gets sore
- weak isolation and leaks a bit
- fairly easy to drive
- doesn't lack detail overall but not truly up there with the 2 above
- imaging is strong, but somewhat unusually 3d due to S-Logic - sounds can appear behind you
- bass is very impactful - not sub bass oriented like the TH600 - hardest hitting bass
- mids sound bottom weighted, upper midrange has a recession which affects vocals, guitars etc negatively quite often
- smaller soundstaging
- treble is slightly elevated highly detailed and amazingly not sibilant or harsh - which shocked me considering this is an ultrasone afterall. Infact they are smoother/softer up top than AD despite being a bit more elevated
- can also struggle with fast stuff like metal
- clamps fairly hard, comfortable to start with - after hours can get a bit sore - you will notice you are wearing them
- the best isolation of these and no leak at all
- portable and very easily driven
- not super detailed either, but not unclear or veiled at all
- imaging is the best of these from my experience
- very large soundstage - the biggest of the 4 however it lacks air like the TH600 has
- mids are a bit wonky, the sound smooth and very euphoric especially with acoustics, and female vocals but can sound distant and cavernous on some recordings
- bass is deeply extended and powerful - stronger than the AD but weaker than the TH600 and DJ in terms of rumble. Impact is a bit more than the TH600
- treble is smooth and somewhat weaker - I would not say that its too dark though - just slightly
- can sound slow on fast recordings, the biggest struggler of the 4
- very light and comfortable - next to no clamp at all
- solid isolation and only leaks a little bit
- extremely easy to drive, even out of DAPs
W1000X falls behind all of these.
You forget how bad the Th600 leaks, one reason why I dint get it. it might as well be an open back since it leak so much.
usually the two go hand in hand lol...if it leak bad then it doesn't isolate well. it's something around the ear cup that does that, even if you switch to alpha pads it still leak just not AS bad.
i love my d7000, but they leak a lot...probably similar to the th600, though i've never tried them. the ADs, on the other hand, isolate very very well. i loved this aspect of them. i wish i had loved them more - they're really good, just not as good as my d7000.
about the weight of the ADs. they're fairly heavy...and i also hated this about them. but i just got a pair of he-500 and man, these things make the ADs feel light.
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 seconds ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 35 seconds ago
- › Thinksound Rain2 to pour in ears soon: Impressions and Discussions... 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok. 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 7 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 7 minutes ago
- › The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! 8 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)