Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 408

post #6106 of 8049
Quote:
But, I have gears that most can't compare with, see my profile!

Cute - Is this an intentional attempt at trolling? I'm seeing an unusually large array of after market cables but no flagship phones, amps or dacs to go with them, aside from your t1s.
Edited by skeptic - 3/7/14 at 9:43pm
post #6107 of 8049
http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/mrspeakers-alpha-dog/
Finally smily_headphones1.gif
post #6108 of 8049

It is hard to understand, look like some measurements are not steady flat and mismatch left and right channels :confused_face_2:. However, totally impressive for a headphone that does not have strange big curve. Really a reference headphone there.

post #6109 of 8049
Use Google Translate!
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpersonalaudio.ru%2Fraa%2Fotchety%2Fnaushniki%2Fmrspeakers-alpha-dog%2F


IMHO Alpha Dogs have really nice measurements. You need to compare with other headphones before you do any judgement:
http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/

smily_headphones1.gif
post #6110 of 8049

Yes, you are right, I should have compared to other high end headphones and funny is the Beat Pro has a really strange big curve :biggrin: so that is why most professional audio guys do not like that headphone.

post #6111 of 8049
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
 
Quote:
But, I have gears that most can't compare with, see my profile!

Cute - Is this an intentional attempt at trolling? I'm seeing an unusually large array of after market cables but no flagship phones, amps or dacs to go with them, aside from your t1s.

 

Great, an attorney accusing a 68 yr retired guy of trolling......you sniffed me out, LMFAO!

 

They are not aftermarket cables, they be DIY! 

post #6112 of 8049
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

Great, an attorney accusing a 68 yr retired guy of trolling......you sniffed me out, LMFAO!

They are not aftermarket cables, they be DIY! 

I didn't think your whole post was trolling, just the quoted sentence! Irrespective of age or profession, anyone who has been around these forums for a while, and who accepted your invitation to view your profile, is likely to react in a similar manner. After all, you made a rather self-aggrandizing statement about your gear and an appeal to authority that turns out to have been pretty dubious.

As a fellow diy fan, I do applaud the cables you built yourself, but to be fair, many of those listed in your profile are, in fact, commercial cables, per your own designations of what were diy. You've got the skills. Why not flip some of the excess cables and try your hand at a good diy amp or dac?
post #6113 of 8049
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post


Cute - Is this an intentional attempt at trolling? I'm seeing an unusually large array of after market cables but no flagship phones, amps or dacs to go with them, aside from your t1s.

Is this comment for real?  There is absolutely no basis for someone aptly named "skeptic" to accuse the poster of being a "troll", as if not having a "flagship" headphone is any criteria anyway.  That comment is way out of line.  And the strange thing is the original poster does in fact have a top of the line Beyer T1.  So how many "flagships" would satisfy skeptic -- two, three, five?

 

Of course, the real reason behind this strange comment is that skeptic does not want to believe the original posters' comments that an aftermarket premium cable has produced a significant improvement. 

 

I, and others I'm sure, look forward with interest to further comments about the positive effects of an aftermarket cable.  And, rest assured, those posters will not be accused of being a troll.

post #6114 of 8049

I don't quite think Skeptic was being rude or anything. Cute did allude to the AD w/DHC made cable or w/e being able

to compete with headphones three times its price, that is, without even hearing 'em. I'd take issue with that,

as so often blatant generalizations become facts per regurgitation. 

 

And if you do look at his list of cables they're listed by aftermarket vendors rather than just saying DIY w/DHC x cabling, etc. 


Edited by paradoxper - 3/8/14 at 11:38am
post #6115 of 8049
Thanks paradoxper. I greatly appreciate the impartial perspective and confirmation that my meaning wasn't lost among unbiased readers.

Sky - I sense you are still disgruntled about my back and forth with you a couple of days ago over cable measurements. Fair enough, but please don't mischaracterize my two posts above by suggesting some fictitious ulterior meaning. I've said my piece on the cable topic and let it go per Anak's request. To clarify the record, I actually acknowledged that cables may impact sonics. I have personally perceived as much, just not in the night and day way you and certain advertisers describe, which I called an oversimplification given presently available data. If you carefully read my two prior posts and the specific text I quoted you will see that the only thing I called into question as possible trolling, albeit in a very mild sense of the word, was Cute's exclamation suggesting that he has better gear than most of us. Thus the basis for my discussion of flagship gear. (Also, maybe you missed it, but In so doing I did expressly acknowledge his ownership of t1's.) Cute didn't actually attempt to contradict me on the issue because we can all see from his profile that the challenged assertion was, in fact, inaccurate. In any event, if there is anything further you want to get off your chest on the cable front, let's take it to pm's. I have not, at any point, lobbed any ad hominems your way and hope that you will return that courtesy moving forward.
Edited by skeptic - 3/8/14 at 2:20pm
post #6116 of 8049
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

Great, an attorney accusing a 68 yr retired guy of trolling......you sniffed me out, LMFAO!

They are not aftermarket cables, they be DIY! 

I didn't think your whole post was trolling, just the quoted sentence! Irrespective of age or profession, anyone who has been around these forums for a while, and who accepted your invitation to view your profile, is likely to react in a similar manner. After all, you made a rather self-aggrandizing statement about your gear and an appeal to authority that turns out to have been pretty dubious.

As a fellow diy fan, I do applaud the cables you built yourself, but to be fair, many of those listed in your profile are, in fact, commercial cables, per your own designations of what were diy. You've got the skills. Why not flip some of the excess cables and try your hand at a good diy amp or dac?

 

Since I found how to use speaker taps, and tried them with my HP's, I found that I have some very good amps sitting right in front of me.....two Denon AVR's, one with BB DAC, 8 channel, and another one Denon 4800 AVR (one of the best sounding that Denon has made, with AD DAC 8 channel.  I also have a very nice Tube amp with some very, very nice NOS Mullard CV4035's, and Mullard EL84 power tubes, valued at $1500 with the tubes and custom AC power cord.  My DAC us the Jolida FX Tube DAC, BB 1795 chip w/Brimar CV4035 NOS tubes, fed through my AVR's to any one of three amplifiers.......so, it actually took some DIY skill to setup the speaker taps, build power cords, etc.  So I have been busy DIY and modding.  The real key to my digital setup is Windows 8.1 running jRiver MC 18 and JPLAY, as well as the iFi Micro IUSB, IPurifier, and ILink in the chain with some very good cables.  No way am I going to change any of this for a very long time.  I am retired with fixed income, just trying to make the best of the resources that I have and can afford.  Found out about using the speaker taps from the Hifiman guys here on headfi.  And I found the Alpha Dog on Doublehelixcables Facebook page, where Peter planted the idea in my head about how the Alpha Dog HP scales up to near LCD 3 sound with an aftermarket cable.  I have been building cables for the past two years with the best materials I can find, some 4 wire, some 6 wire, some 8 wire, and combining two different materials in one cable...........all this is paying off for me.  A lot of headfiers purchased cables that I had built for myself, so that I could purchase more different wire to try the different combinations.  I have succeeded in persuading myself that cables do sound different from one another, mission accomplished in 2014.  Now I can focus on moving up the chain with headphones, can't wait for the new Hifiman's, but for now I am dealing with the Alpha Dog, which totally surprised me, blew my mind how good they can sound with a very good cable/cables.  I love a big, wide soundstage, open back HP.  I am getting that sound from a closed back phone that I consider a Flagship developed by a very capable entrepenuer!  Thanks Dan for all of your work!


Edited by cute - 3/8/14 at 3:02pm
post #6117 of 8049
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post
 

 

Since I found how to use speaker taps, and tried them with my HP's, I found that I have some very good amps sitting right in front of me.....two Denon AVR's, one with BB DAC, 8 channel, and another one Denon 4800 AVR (one of the best sounding that Denon has made, with AD DAC 8 channel.  I also have a very nice Tube amp with some very, very nice NOS Mullard CV4035's, and Mullard EL84 power tubes, valued at $1500 with the tubes and custom AC power cord.  My DAC us the Jolida FX Tube DAC, BB 1795 chip w/Brimar CV4035 NOS tubes, fed through my AVR's to any one of three amplifiers.......so, it actually took some DIY skill to setup the speaker taps, build power cords, etc.  So I have been busy DIY and modding.  The real key to my digital setup is Windows 8.1 running jRiver MC 18 and JPLAY, as well as the iFi Micro IUSB, IPurifier, and ILink in the chain with some very good cables.  No way am I going to change any of this for a very long time.  I am retired with fixed income, just trying to make the best of the resources that I have and can afford.  Found out about using the speaker taps from the Hifiman guys here on headfi.  And I found the Alpha Dog on Doublehelixcables Facebook page, where Peter planted the idea in my head about how the Alpha Dog HP scales up to near LCD 3 sound with an aftermarket cable.  I have been building cables for the past two years with the best materials I can find, some 4 wire, some 6 wire, some 8 wire, and combining two different materials in one cable...........all this is paying off for me.  A lot of headfiers purchased cables that I had built for myself, so that I could purchase more different wire to try the different combinations.  I have succeeded in persuading myself that cables do sound different from one another, mission accomplished in 2014.  Now I can focus on moving up the chain with headphones, can't wait for the new Hifiman's, but for now I am dealing with the Alpha Dog, which totally surprised me, blew my mind how good they can sound with a very good cable/cables.  I love a big, wide soundstage, open back HP.  I am getting that sound from a closed back phone that I consider a Flagship developed by a very capable entrepenuer!  Thanks Dan for all of your work!

i, too, have a couple of old tube monoblocks that i'm going to repurpose as a headphone amp. just need to make the adapter cables...it's nice to be able to experiment with this hobby, especially when you're able to make your own stuff. i actually don't need any more cables for my headphones, but i find myself building a few more...and ordering more parts on the web. sigh... :)

post #6118 of 8049

I hate to interrupt with an actual comment on the Alpha Dogs...

 

It seems I have a real deep-seated bias against closed cans.  Every one that I have tried over the years has been fairly miserable to listen to, especially with vocals.  Because of this bias, I am constantly amazed at the quality of the AD's, in every sense.   Most of my listening sessions begin with another headphone, usually my Grado's.  And I like them- a lot.  But then I try the same song with the Alpha Dog's, and I really have to question why I even bother with the other headphones that I have.

 

Now, I'm sure I will be buying the HD800's, maybe even a T1 at some point down the road.  But whenever I get an urge to buy something, one song with the AD's is enough to pull my finger off of the button. That $599 spent has saved me a lot of money so far  :biggrin:

post #6119 of 8049

^^ Just buy the hd800, sell everything else, and have the perfect complementary set of hp's. :D

post #6120 of 8049
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

I hate to interrupt with an actual comment on the Alpha Dogs...

 

It seems I have a real deep-seated bias against closed cans.  Every one that I have tried over the years has been fairly miserable to listen to, especially with vocals.  Because of this bias, I am constantly amazed at the quality of the AD's, in every sense.   Most of my listening sessions begin with another headphone, usually my Grado's.  And I like them- a lot.  But then I try the same song with the Alpha Dog's, and I really have to question why I even bother with the other headphones that I have.

 

Now, I'm sure I will be buying the HD800's, maybe even a T1 at some point down the road.  But whenever I get an urge to buy something, one song with the AD's is enough to pull my finger off of the button. That $599 spent has saved me a lot of money so far  :biggrin:

What amp & Dac are you using with the Alpha Dog ?  (besides the Burson Soloist )

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones