Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 402

post #6016 of 7683

Anyone tested the AlphaDog with the Astell & Kern AK240 ?  does this combo offer good synergy ? enough juice from the AK240 ?

post #6017 of 7683
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
 

 

I'll have the dots online later this week in "accessories."


Excellent, thank you for the reply.

 

- David

post #6018 of 7683
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

 
It is a really subtle but useful change.  It doesn't change the signature in the sense I think many of you are perhaps thinking.  If you listened to an original Alpha Dog production vs new, what you'd hear tonally is that the highs are simply better integrated, smoother and more balanced.  It is technically fairly close to reducing 4.3 and 8.6K by about 2 dB, but it does a bit more.

Pretty much this. I'll never know for sure how much that missing screw affected what I heard, but if you go back and read my initial impressions, I was quite fond of the AD after EQing down those peaks (not so much without). What I'm hearing the 2nd time around is not far off from that (i.e. not absolutely perfect, but easily recommended and would consider purchasing myself), so I'm genuinely excited to further dig into these tonight. Far from subtle to these ears, but YMMV.

I will say that I had a very hard time getting a good position, fit, and seal with these. Half the time I have to keep them in place with my hands. They seem to have stabilized after a while, though, so we'll see...often comes loose just as I thought I had it or shift a bit, ha. Most of the problem is that I don't want to mess with the headband to better shape my head, since this is just a loaner and not my own.
Position is key as I found. I rotate the pads such that the fat end's top corner is lined up with the headband. After that, I found that the best sound was when my ears were in the bottom corner of the fat end of the earpad. At least that's what it was like for my ears/head shape.
post #6019 of 7683
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
 

It is a really subtle but useful change.  It doesn't change the signature in the sense I think many of you are perhaps thinking.  If you listened to an original Alpha Dog production vs new, what you'd hear tonally is that the highs are simply better integrated, smoother and more balanced.  It is technically fairly close to reducing 4.3 and 8.6K by about 2 dB, but it does a bit more.

And this is why Dan said that there is some variation between individual headsets and some may need this and some may not.

 

I did the 4.3k and 8.6k -2db with an excellent digital parametric EQ inside Jriver MC19, and I prefer the overall sound quality without that reduction.  Some very nice micro-details get removed.

 

I also never had a sense that there were treble peaks in my Alpha Dogs, so I think I simply have an Alpha Dog made from Fostex T50RP that does not have the peaks.

 

This is why Dan mentioned that is you don't hear a problem with your Alpha Dogs, then there is likely no problem.

post #6020 of 7683

has anyone here made their own cables for their ADs? i'm making a lightweight travel cable and have most of it done, but haven't soldered the ends to the adapters (the parts that attach to the earpieces) because i can't figure out which terminals to connect. on the mrspeakers site he gives the wire configuration for L and R: https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Alpha-Dog-Headphone

 

but if i have two wires going to each cup and there are four pins in the connector part, which pins should i solder to? the pins are not numbered as far as i can tell...i feel like there's something simple that i'm missing.

 

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

post #6021 of 7683
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

has anyone here made their own cables for their ADs? i'm making a lightweight travel cable and have most of it done, but haven't soldered the ends to the adapters (the parts that attach to the earpieces) because i can't figure out which terminals to connect. on the mrspeakers site he gives the wire configuration for L and R: https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Alpha-Dog-Headphone

 

but if i have two wires going to each cup and there are four pins in the connector part, which pins should i solder to? the pins are not numbered as far as i can tell...i feel like there's something simple that i'm missing.

 

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Hopefully below pic should help you. You can solder any one pair or both together.

post #6022 of 7683
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

has anyone here made their own cables for their ADs? i'm making a lightweight travel cable and have most of it done, but haven't soldered the ends to the adapters (the parts that attach to the earpieces) because i can't figure out which terminals to connect. on the mrspeakers site he gives the wire configuration for L and R: https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Alpha-Dog-Headphone

 

but if i have two wires going to each cup and there are four pins in the connector part, which pins should i solder to? the pins are not numbered as far as i can tell...i feel like there's something simple that i'm missing.

 

any help would be appreciated. thanks.


If you get confused use the Ohm Meter Luke...   

Just ohm out the original cable and duplicate the connections on your new cable... 

after you solder the new cable make sure you check the connection of + and - to make sure you have not created a short circuit...

post #6023 of 7683
The pins are numbered on the back black plastic, they are small, and you may need a lens to be able to see them. But they are there.
post #6024 of 7683

I think what he is asking is which of the 4 pins in each of the mini xlr's are used if you have a cable with 4 conductors.  I.e. for the left channel, do you connect L+ and L- to pins 1 and 2 or to pins 3 and 4?

 

Measuring continuity is one way to piece it out, but the description makes this a little confusing.  

 

Quote:
 

Pinout For Custom Cables

The Alpha Dog use a dual-entry cable attachment.    The plug is available to cable manufacturers at www.evalucon.com, and the part number is SN-8-4(P).  We will have these available for purchase on our site begining October 9, 2013.  

Left:  

1 = L+

2 = L - (or ground for single ended cables)

3 = L+

4 = L- (or ground for single ended cables)

 

Right:

1 = R+

2 = R - (or ground for single ended cables)

3 = R+

4 = R- (or ground for single ended cables)


Edited by skeptic - 2/28/14 at 10:44am
post #6025 of 7683

Maybe Dan has them jumped inside the cup.   1 with 3 and 2 with 4.   That way you only need to use two of the pins.  

 

On my cable I jumped the pins anyway just in case of a poor connection or a pin failure.

post #6026 of 7683
Thanks for all the info guys. I think dan does indeed jumper the pins inside the cup or at the connector.

Another potentially stupid question: how do I disassemble the connector to get at the pins so I can solder the wires? The sleeve rotates but I can't disassemble it to do the soldering. Do I just pull hard? Maybe if I can get the thing open I can actually see the numbers that Dan says are there. Thanks.
post #6027 of 7683

The part the rubber boot covers unscrews.  You have to take out the set screw first.

post #6028 of 7683
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

Thanks for all the info guys. I think dan does indeed jumper the pins inside the cup or at the connector.

Another potentially stupid question: how do I disassemble the connector to get at the pins so I can solder the wires? The sleeve rotates but I can't disassemble it to do the soldering. Do I just pull hard? Maybe if I can get the thing open I can actually see the numbers that Dan says are there. Thanks.

Once the screws are loose, just plug it into the phone and gently rotate counter clockwise.  The plug is two sections, and this allows the outer sleeve to come off.  Without having the jack of the headphone handy that can be tricky.

post #6029 of 7683
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

Once the screws are loose, just plug it into the phone and gently rotate counter clockwise.  The plug is two sections, and this allows the outer sleeve to come off.  Without having the jack of the headphone handy that can be tricky.
This tip helped. Once I got it in the headphone, it was easy to screw off. Okay, time to do a little soldering.
post #6030 of 7683
This may not be a popular question....but in my search for a more everyday transportable hp...the alpha seemed to fit the bill best for quality to price ratio...which isn't a surprise! My dilemma is that I've been offered a great price on a beyerdynamic T5p and so I'm tempted....so far I've not encountered anyone who has heard them both. Anyone had the pleasure?
Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones