+1 on the new kit. Sounds like a wonderful idea. Can't wait to hear the AD with this tweak. I appreciate Dan's effort to give his very best.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Couple of questions about the T1's and HD800's Last post on 11/24/13 at 8:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help with injecting positional audio (Dolby 5.1) into my current PC audio setup without a soundcard Last post on 6/24/14 at 12:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Procs and Cons of each headphone at around $1000 price range? Last post on 5/9/14 at 8:53pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD800+$500 amp?Or HD600 + $1500 amp? Last post on 7/3/14 at 2:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HD600 + Extended Bass + Larger Soundstage = ? Last post on 3/16/14 at 4:56am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
I want to start by saying thanks to Brainwavz for making this near excellent phone and Selsera for sending me a sample unit . And about Brainwavz , its around for nearly 7-8 years and has...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 394
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No but seriously, even with just the dot installed, I felt that the treble was less problematic for me and more of what I would say sounds natural. With 1 felt disc installed, the effect was amplified and I felt pretty satisfied with it. With 2 felt discs installed, although the upper-midrange and treble start to become a bit blurred and veiled, I actually liked that sound signature the most since the treble peaks are pretty much eliminated; with 1 disc installed, there was still an odd treble peak to my ears. The songs I usually use to test brightness and treble sizzle are all much more enjoyable with both felt pieces installed. It seems that each felt piece dampens the treble a bit.
The awesome thing about these mods are that they are completely reversible and easy to install/uninstall. As mechgamer123 stated, I had them removed before letting anyone else give the Alpha Dog a listen in order to keep the mods a secret.
"Alpha Dog Obedience Kit" seems a bit of a mouthful to me though. I was thinking it would be something along the lines of a "Dog Biscuit" since the felt discs reminded me of biscuits for some reason, hahaha.
Anywho, great job to mrspeakers for incorporating some feedback into improving your products, and thank you to BlueMonkeyFlyer for the mod suggestions! I need to give a big thank you to mrspeakers again for letting me be in the second Alpha Dog tour and for letting me test out this neat modification kit.
I shipped the touring Alpha Dog to hans030390 with the dot and 1 felt disc installed in each earpiece (a second set of felt discs is in the Alpha Dog package too).
Edited by miceblue - 2/20/14 at 7:33pm
the treble with the original tuning is fine with me...what i find intriguing are nos. 2, 3, and 4 on the list - soundstage, bass punch, and black background. if those dots can do all that, then wow, what a mod it is and easily worth it. makes sense that it is shipped as the standard offering on the new AD orders because who wouldn't want these improvements? i guess if you'd rather have the peaky treble at the cost of the other three improvements...but why?
The overall package:
The felt discs are installed in the earpad:
The adhesive side of the "dot":
* you can see some of the 3D-printed parts in white; pretty neat I think
The "dot" installed on the Alpha Dog:
Edited by miceblue - 2/20/14 at 11:59pm
A little fine-tuning has been done on the Alphas.
A few owners found the treble to be a little peaky. While most owners and reviewers seemed very happy, I always listen to positive and negative feedback to try to do better. I started working on an ear-side adjustment to tame the treble, but I thought it might be both fun and productive to bring someone from the community to work on this as well.
With his deep roots in the T50 tuning, BlueMonkeyFlyer seemed a good fellow to contact, and he kindly agreed to take a look. Fortunately, he had done tests earlier on something directly related to our needs and had an insight to create a tuning square, which we'll call the BMD (BlueMonkeyDot). The BMD started shipping on Alphas shipped starting Feb 10. A big thanks to BMF for his support on this!
Many people like their Alpha Dogs as is, so it's important to remember that due to ear shape, hearing, music choice and equipment not everyone will feel the treble needs adjustment at all. But if you do own a set and want to smooth or step down the treble, we will have an "Alpha Dog Obedience Kit" up on our website for $14.99 plus shipping (this just covers our cost).
The kit will include 4 dots, allowing 1 or 2 to be applied to each side of the headphone. It will also include two felt tuning discs to insert under the Alpha Pads for those who prefer a slightly darker sound. The Obedience Kit will be available on our website at the end of next week. Sonically, you should expect:
1) Smoother treble
2) Somewhat larger soundstage
3) A bit more bass punch
4) Improved "black space"
It's a no-tools, 3 minute upgrade, and it's fully reversible if you don't prefer the sound. We'll post a YoutTube video to show how easy the tuning is early next week.
A big thanks to BMF!
P.S. MiceBlue got a preview set of the adjustments, and perhaps can share his experience.
how do i order this from the website? am going to purchase the alpha dog today..
I'll give them a go at the weekend and post
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › To Reshell Or Not To Reshell? 25 seconds ago
- › Plug Headphone directly to Soundcard broke 1 Headphone Channel 2 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 2 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 3 minutes ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Plug Headphone directly to Soundcard broke 1 Headphone channel 4 minutes ago
- › Opinion about Creative Hitz WP-380 or other wireless headphone? 5 minutes ago
- › The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games) 5 minutes ago
- › Plug Headphone directly to Soundcard broke 1 Headphone channel 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)