+1 on the new kit. Sounds like a wonderful idea. Can't wait to hear the AD with this tweak. I appreciate Dan's effort to give his very best.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? Last post on Yesterday at 8:33 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for gym use Last post on 9/18/14 at 9:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable/Battery powered amps with 1/4 inch jack Last post on Yesterday at 12:07 am in Portable Headphone Amps
- I am looking for upper class gaming Headphones? Which one? I posted some ideas. Last post on Yesterday at 8:46 am in Video Games Discussion
- m4u 1 vs. a900x vs. t50rp Last post on 9/2/14 at 7:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 394
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No but seriously, even with just the dot installed, I felt that the treble was less problematic for me and more of what I would say sounds natural. With 1 felt disc installed, the effect was amplified and I felt pretty satisfied with it. With 2 felt discs installed, although the upper-midrange and treble start to become a bit blurred and veiled, I actually liked that sound signature the most since the treble peaks are pretty much eliminated; with 1 disc installed, there was still an odd treble peak to my ears. The songs I usually use to test brightness and treble sizzle are all much more enjoyable with both felt pieces installed. It seems that each felt piece dampens the treble a bit.
The awesome thing about these mods are that they are completely reversible and easy to install/uninstall. As mechgamer123 stated, I had them removed before letting anyone else give the Alpha Dog a listen in order to keep the mods a secret.
"Alpha Dog Obedience Kit" seems a bit of a mouthful to me though. I was thinking it would be something along the lines of a "Dog Biscuit" since the felt discs reminded me of biscuits for some reason, hahaha.
Anywho, great job to mrspeakers for incorporating some feedback into improving your products, and thank you to BlueMonkeyFlyer for the mod suggestions! I need to give a big thank you to mrspeakers again for letting me be in the second Alpha Dog tour and for letting me test out this neat modification kit.
I shipped the touring Alpha Dog to hans030390 with the dot and 1 felt disc installed in each earpiece (a second set of felt discs is in the Alpha Dog package too).
Edited by miceblue - 2/20/14 at 7:33pm
the treble with the original tuning is fine with me...what i find intriguing are nos. 2, 3, and 4 on the list - soundstage, bass punch, and black background. if those dots can do all that, then wow, what a mod it is and easily worth it. makes sense that it is shipped as the standard offering on the new AD orders because who wouldn't want these improvements? i guess if you'd rather have the peaky treble at the cost of the other three improvements...but why?
The overall package:
The felt discs are installed in the earpad:
The adhesive side of the "dot":
* you can see some of the 3D-printed parts in white; pretty neat I think
The "dot" installed on the Alpha Dog:
Edited by miceblue - 2/20/14 at 11:59pm
A little fine-tuning has been done on the Alphas.
A few owners found the treble to be a little peaky. While most owners and reviewers seemed very happy, I always listen to positive and negative feedback to try to do better. I started working on an ear-side adjustment to tame the treble, but I thought it might be both fun and productive to bring someone from the community to work on this as well.
With his deep roots in the T50 tuning, BlueMonkeyFlyer seemed a good fellow to contact, and he kindly agreed to take a look. Fortunately, he had done tests earlier on something directly related to our needs and had an insight to create a tuning square, which we'll call the BMD (BlueMonkeyDot). The BMD started shipping on Alphas shipped starting Feb 10. A big thanks to BMF for his support on this!
Many people like their Alpha Dogs as is, so it's important to remember that due to ear shape, hearing, music choice and equipment not everyone will feel the treble needs adjustment at all. But if you do own a set and want to smooth or step down the treble, we will have an "Alpha Dog Obedience Kit" up on our website for $14.99 plus shipping (this just covers our cost).
The kit will include 4 dots, allowing 1 or 2 to be applied to each side of the headphone. It will also include two felt tuning discs to insert under the Alpha Pads for those who prefer a slightly darker sound. The Obedience Kit will be available on our website at the end of next week. Sonically, you should expect:
1) Smoother treble
2) Somewhat larger soundstage
3) A bit more bass punch
4) Improved "black space"
It's a no-tools, 3 minute upgrade, and it's fully reversible if you don't prefer the sound. We'll post a YoutTube video to show how easy the tuning is early next week.
A big thanks to BMF!
P.S. MiceBlue got a preview set of the adjustments, and perhaps can share his experience.
how do i order this from the website? am going to purchase the alpha dog today..
I'll give them a go at the weekend and post
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 3 seconds ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 33 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 33 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 56 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 2 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)