Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 341

post #5101 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
 

Woohoo, AD upgrade city!  Dan, I just dropped my Mad Dogs at the Post Office, and you should have 'em on Friday.

 

I went for the XLR cable option since I'll eventually be using it with a Geek Pulse X... but in the meantime, I'll need to go make myself an XLR -> TRS adapter... and an XLR -> Banana Plugs (for the Mini-X I just got).

 

Since we're going to have the same setup I'm super curious how yours turns out. I'm either going to make my XLR -> TRS adapter with some of the stock cable from the HD650 or pick up some Mogami star quad and cover it in paracord. On a related note it would be wonderful if there was a MrSpeakers adapter made available on their webpage for those who don't DIY.

post #5102 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinHorn View Post

An FYI to any other HeadFiers who have been waiting on their Alpha Dogs - I ordered mine on Nov. 21st & inquired about them since as of this Thursday it will have been 8 weeks. I promptly heard back from Dan & here is what he said...

" our paint shop has been HIGHLY unreliable, we're moving to a new facility to do all our own painting, no more outsourccing. He's promised me a lot of parts this week so we should have your stuff really soon."

Any way, that was new info for me & I thought others in the cue would like to know that one possible delaying issue has been addressed. Dan is living up to his excellent reputation as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait to get these cans!


Dan is excellent for sure BUT, I dislike throwing 650$ at something and not hearing about it until 6-7 weeks later. This is why I hesitate between AD's and Denon D-5000's.


Edited by Drazalas - 1/15/14 at 1:02pm
post #5103 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

Since we're going to have the same setup I'm super curious how yours turns out.

 

Not sure if this matters, however...

 

When you get your AD's, they will be exactly the same as the AD's someone gets new. The only reason you get a break (outside of Dan being awesome), is he does not need to buy a new Fostex t50rp headphone and other parts. He can just use the exact same components he would use for a new pair out of yours.

 

So you should be able to ask anyone who already has AD's, who have a similar setup that you will have.

post #5104 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
 

 

Not sure if this matters, however...

 

When you get your AD's, they will be exactly the same as the AD's someone gets new. The only reason you get a break (outside of Dan being awesome), is he does not need to buy a new Fostex t50rp headphone and other parts. He can just use the exact same components he would use for a new pair out of yours.

 

So you should be able to ask anyone who already has AD's, who have a similar setup that you will have.

 

I was more curious about how Uzi's adapters turn out. The Geek Pulse that we've both ordered won't be available until the middle of the year. So we'll be waiting a while on that. And I'm aware that the upgrade program is the same as buying new since Dan has said so himself in this thread. So since Uzi will be using an adapter to use the balanced AD with a 1/4" amp I'm interested in seeing how it ends up. And of course any information on how running a balanced AD off a non-balanced source is also welcomed.

post #5105 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

Since we're going to have the same setup I'm super curious how yours turns out. I'm either going to make my XLR -> TRS adapter with some of the stock cable from the HD650 or pick up some Mogami star quad and cover it in paracord. On a related note it would be wonderful if there was a MrSpeakers adapter made available on their webpage for those who don't DIY.

Yeah,  I need to figure out what cable I'm gonna use... though Mogami star quad is on the list.  I have it in mind to go simple with some Neutrik connectors.  In the end, I'd like the flexibility to run the AD off the Burson Soloist (1/4"), Geek Pulse X (1/4" and 4-pin XLR) and Emotiva Mini-X (banana plugs)... hence the XLR cable choice and the mission to make adapter cables.

 

If any of you are particular good at this (and particularly have some cable suggestions to make), and don't mind answering a software guy's hardware questions, feel free to PM me.  Thanks!

post #5106 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
 

Yeah,  I need to figure out what cable I'm gonna use... though Mogami star quad is on the list.  I have it in mind to go simple with some Neutrik connectors.  In the end, I'd like the flexibility to run the AD off the Burson Soloist (1/4"), Geek Pulse X (1/4" and 4-pin XLR) and Emotiva Mini-X (banana plugs)... hence the XLR cable choice and the mission to make adapter cables.

 

If any of you are particular good at this (and particularly have some cable suggestions to make), and don't mind answering a software guy's hardware questions, feel free to PM me.  Thanks!

making cables is a good skill to learn...will save you a ton of money in the end, and it's not that hard, although it's a PITA, in my opinion. here is a good run-down on how to do one:

 

http://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm

 

one of my first DIY projects was re-configuring the akg k-501 to have separate wires going into each cup and terminating it with a balanced 4-pin connector. worked out really well and i loved that project. also made some balanced ICs, a balanced->1/4" adapter cable, and some mini->mini connectors. all this to say that i'm not a skilled guy to begin with, but found that making cables was quite rewarding. you should do it - you'll have a closer connection to your equipment.

 

like you, i have ADs on order, am also waiting for a geek pulse X, and am going to build some adapter cables while i wait. since i have a ton of mogami star quad laying around, i'll use that for myself...and i might actually make my balanced->1/4" adapter from the end of the grado hf-2 that i'm going to cut in order to re-terminate those to balanced. there's a ton of helpful guys on the DIY threads...post questions there if you get stuck making your cables. good luck.

post #5107 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

making cables is a good skill to learn...will save you a ton of money in the end, and it's not that hard, although it's a PITA, in my opinion. here is a good run-down on how to do one:

 

http://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm

 

one of my first DIY projects was re-configuring the akg k-501 to have separate wires going into each cup and terminating it with a balanced 4-pin connector. worked out really well and i loved that project. also made some balanced ICs, a balanced->1/4" adapter cable, and some mini->mini connectors. all this to say that i'm not a skilled guy to begin with, but found that making cables was quite rewarding. you should do it - you'll have a closer connection to your equipment.

Awesome, great link, thanks!  Yeah, I'm definitely drawn in by the rewarding nature of DIY and the money savings.

post #5108 of 8780

I might try and make some cables. I would like the AD connector to 3.5mm jack,

 

Dan, your website says you have SN-8-4(P) connectors for purchase, but I don't see how I can add them to a cart. Do I just call and order?

 

EDIT: never mind. I found them under accessories. I ordered 2 :)


Edited by JeremyR - 1/15/14 at 5:05pm
post #5109 of 8780

Hmm,an amateur on Head-Fi~

This  is my first post, so  no permission to insert images.

I'll use links to show images instead.

 

Original SE cable and there are four cords soldered on connector plug pins.

http://i.imgur.com/eVrzpDW.jpg

 

DIY Store Cable,with more detail、bass-depth、Microphonics(?) comparing with original one.

http://i.imgur.com/9ITDT5K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1GJH16k.jpg

 

My apparatus,Cubox-->Hiface EVO suit-->Pathos suit

http://i.imgur.com/Z0Acv3I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tRRRIqt.jpg

 

 

Finally, I want to say that I LOVE alpha dog which makes me enjoy MUSIC!!

post #5110 of 8780

I have to say that those cables are smokin' hot!! 

post #5111 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbvbv View Post
 

Hmm,an amateur on Head-Fi~

This  is my first post, so  no permission to insert images.

I'll use links to show images instead.

 

Original SE cable and there are four cords soldered on connector plug pins.

http://i.imgur.com/eVrzpDW.jpg

 

DIY Store Cable,with more detail、bass-depth、Microphonics(?) comparing with original one.

http://i.imgur.com/9ITDT5K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1GJH16k.jpg

 

My apparatus,Cubox-->Hiface EVO suit-->Pathos suit

http://i.imgur.com/Z0Acv3I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tRRRIqt.jpg

 

 

Finally, I want to say that I LOVE alpha dog which makes me enjoy MUSIC!!


What can of drink is that? really curious lol

post #5112 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime86 View Post
 


What can of drink is that? really curious lol

 

It's a Madoka Magica themed can of cider. It's made by Asahi and it's called Mitsuya Cider. Those particular cans were a limited release in Akihabara this past summer.

 

Source: I read the can and googled it. :p

post #5113 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbvbv View Post
 

Hmm,an amateur on Head-Fi~

This  is my first post, so  no permission to insert images.

I'll use links to show images instead.

 

Original SE cable and there are four cords soldered on connector plug pins.

http://i.imgur.com/eVrzpDW.jpg

 

DIY Store Cable,with more detail、bass-depth、Microphonics(?) comparing with original one.

http://i.imgur.com/9ITDT5K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1GJH16k.jpg

 

My apparatus,Cubox-->Hiface EVO suit-->Pathos suit

http://i.imgur.com/Z0Acv3I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tRRRIqt.jpg

 

 

Finally, I want to say that I LOVE alpha dog which makes me enjoy MUSIC!!

Wow nice! I'm actually looking to DIY some cables for the AD's myself. Did you make those yourself?

 

Also that Aurium looks so nice, very jealous.

post #5114 of 8780
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I have to say that those cables are smokin' hot!! 

 

:D

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primetime86 View Post
 


What can of drink is that? really curious lol

 

Mitsuya Cider soda. AxelCloris answered the question~

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

It's a Madoka Magica themed can of cider. It's made by Asahi and it's called Mitsuya Cider. Those particular cans were a limited release in Akihabara this past summer.

 

Source: I read the can and googled it. :p

 

Exactly!!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjapirate9901 View Post
 

Wow nice! I'm actually looking to DIY some cables for the AD's myself. Did you make those yourself?

 

Also that Aurium looks so nice, very jealous.

 

Nope. I paid the money to the cable store, and THEY make the cable. Just sent 2 connector plugs to them.:devil_face:

My craft is really BAD.:cool:

 

Music through Aurium with AD sounds very pleasing to the ear~ IMO. 

I also replaced tubes with NOS TFK.

post #5115 of 8780

Since I get multiple requests a day, this is pretty relevant information for everyone who asks "where is my tracking information..."  

 

I finally found out why some people get tracking and some don't.  When a purchase is made, if you use an email address registered with PayPal get a shipping notification (even if you pay with a credit card).  However, PayPal doesn't email shipping notices to email addresses that are NOT already registered to a PayPal account.  PayPal made it clear to me they won't change this and it is not a "bug."

 

So for what it is worth, when you create an account or make a purchase through our store, even if you are using a credit card, if you have an email address linked to a PayPal account please use that to ensure you get tracking info.

 

Thanks, PayPal.  :-(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones