Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 309

post #4621 of 8751

Alpha Dogs review... will post it in the review section later on... it's late.


 

Introduction


First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very in-depth, my first impressions still stand (mostly), and everything has been mentioned to death but I thought I at least should record it for posterity :p
 
Anyway I've been a fan of the Mad Dogs since I got them on June/July 2012 and I've definitely been very vocal about them. They just hit all the right buttons I was looking for on a closed-back headphone:

 

  • good comfort
  • isolation
  • no leakage
  • excellent mids and good bass response

 
I remember the first time I got the Mad Dogs, I put them up to test and noticed something was "off". Bass response and extension wasn't what I was expecting and indeed the headphones couldn't properly reproduce sound below 40Hz (as far as I remember). Dan noticed my post in the thread, contacted me, requested the headphones back, and after a few days I got the properly tuned headphone (all at his expense of course). So now, not only did I had an excellent sounding headphone in my arsenal, the best thing, it kept getting better with updates. Moved from the Shure pads to the Dog and Alpha's (but did not perform the final 3.2 tuning as I felt they were great as they were.) Then... big news, Jude introduced a video talking in length about these new 3D-printed headphones... MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs.
 
Now, I didn't have access to the video at work so I didn't even noticed Jude's enthusiasm until later but I went to the order page on the spot and just ordered blindly!

And I'm glad I did! ;-)

 

 

Pros: Professional looking, excellent sound (clear), good comfort and isolation, very good presentation and accessories, excellent customer support.
 
Cons: Heavier than Mad Dogs, cable is great but don't particularly like Y-cables (prefer one sided), bass impact, still needs ample amplification to sound its best.

 


Specs:
 

  • Frequency response (+/- 3dB): 16Hz to 18KHz
  • Efficiency: 90dB/mW
  • Weight (without cable): 440g
  • Cable: Dual entry

 
 
Package Contents:
 

  • Alpha Dog's black Box (very good looking actually).
  • Headphones
  • MrSpeakers Stand
  • Dual-entry cable
  • Black pouch
  • 3M Cleaning Cloth

 
 

Design, Comfort and Build:

Design-wise, the Alpha Dogs still look like the original T50RP. I guess this is due to the unchanged headband design (although MrSpeakers adds a leather strap just as he did with the Mad Dogs). The new 3d-Printed cups though are a treat. They seem well constructed, and they are definitely well painted. Overall, they look very professional and in fact shares a bit of similarity with Fostex TH900s regarding color choice and form. Just like the original T50RP, I think they could withdstand a bit of abuse but I'm not sure how prone to scratches or marks the paint job is (and I don't want to find out willingly! ;-)) nor how durable the plastic used for the cups is but they feel sturdy enough for usual and even portable use.
 
Comfort with the Mad Dogs has always been great and when the Alpha Pads were introduced, they were like pillows on your ears. I'm glad to say that this feeling was not lost with the Alpha Dogs. You can put the headphones on your head and the comfort is excellent BUT after a few hours you start noticing the weight the new cups and the cable is exerting, especially if you use lighter headphones as well.

 

 

I find the Mad Dogs more comfortable in the end due to the weight factor but if you like the MDs and don't mind the extra weight, then you should be good to go!
 
 
Sound:
 
Now the most important part. The sound.
As usual, the first time I put the Alpha Dogs over my ears I knew I had to give it a bit of time so my brain
could play "catch-up". For some reason, every time I use any dynamic headphone (be it the Momentum, Signature DJ, Dido D901, etc.) and jump to the Mad Dogs or Alpha Dogs I ALWAYS find the headphones underwhelming!!! I have mentioned this a few times before on the Mad Dog threads and I think this is very important because even though I've had the Mad Dogs for a year plus now, I still experience the same thing (this doesn't really happen when
I compare or use other headphones). So I don't think "quick 5 minute impressions" work well with these 2 cans. Anyway, first few times I used the Alpha Dogs the first impressions were:
 
1) "Oh, they sound very clear..." (i.e. the "warmth" of the Mad Dogs was not as present)
2) "Wait, where is the bass?"
3) Love my girl Sara Bareilles on this!
4) "Amber Rubarth. Are you singing to me?"
5) "but highs sound weird..."
 
Then I remembered, "let's spend at least 20 minutes with these..." and there it was... Non ear-piercing clear highs, sibilance on bad recordings was not "enhanced" (i.e. like happens on some of my "Studio" headphones), vocals were shining through (male and female), guitar crunch was splendid on some of the metal I listen to, basically the mids were mostly left untouched as-in it is still fairly "neutral", but that added "air", that "clean-up" did make most genres more enjoyable and in fact most instruments sound more "natural" to me. Listening to something like "Basin Street Blues" is a total treat on these. Changing gears, I went through my usual playlist consisting of:
 
Thrice - Under a Killing Moon
Miguel Bose - Este Mundo Va
Kaskade - Fire in your Shoes
Blink 182 - Kaleidoscope
Jon Cleary - When you Get back
Mima - Oigo Voces
Esperanza Spalding - What a Friend
Sara Bareilles - Vegas
Killswitch Engage - Fixation on the Darkness
Juancho - Pillala
Boston - More than a Feeling
J-King y Maximan - Ella me Pide Something
Calvin Harris - Feel so Close
Three Six Mafia - Late Night Tip
Orquesta Macabeo - Me Repito

 

 

Just like the Mad Dogs before it, the Alpha Dogs can play most of these genres without breaking a sweat. But again I noticed something missing. So let's get into a head-to-head comparison.

How do the Alpha Dogs compare to the Mad Dogs? As mentioned their sound is different and it is actually quite surprising how the drivers can behave with different enclosure and/or tuning. The Alpha Dogs added that something the Mad Dogs really lacked and that's a bit more treble energy, a bit more "air" in the upper-mids and highs. Not only that, but the Bass bump of the Mad Dogs was tamed a bit and it is more refined and faster. What this does is give the illusion that there is less bass presence and elevated mids/highs. And this is basically my main "nitpick". For genres that rely on bass SLAM and presence (sub-bass), the clean sound of the Alpha Dogs and tamed lower-end is not the best match (my preference though). So while the bass indeed goes low, the lack of impact extracts a bit of the "fun" factor in songs like Kaskade's "Fire in your New Shoes"/"One Heart"/
"Room for Happiness" or even Jon Cleary's "When You get Back". On the other hand, all of these sound very good 
with their forward mids and controlled highs (something a couple of headphones cannot do either!). Oh my! ...

 

Soundstage is actually one of those topics that were discussed a few months ago in detail and quite frankly I don't find it as a huge upgrade to the Mad Dogs, but again, the "clearer" sound make it sound like it is a bit wider. Imaging though is actually improved and it's probably one of the upgrades I like the most! This is what I liked the most from the open-back Shure SRH1840s and now I can get it on a closed-back headphone! Yay! In the months that followed, I acquired a few other headphones and, what the heck, decided to compare them as well. 

 

First the Shure SRH1540s. I've been a fan of Shure for a few years now and have had in my posession the 440s, 840s, 940s, 1840s and now 1540s. I was surprised at their departure for their sound on this new flagship. Surprisingly these are almost borderline basshead. After coming from the 940s (bright, boosted highs, cold-ish sounding) and the 1840s (warm, laid back mids and highs with good bass presence, similar to HD600s by Sennheiser) these sound weird, but in a good way. Compared directly to the Alpha Dogs, 1540s offer more bass, a bit boomy, mids not as forward but clear and good sounding, non-offensive highs, excellent imaging (similar to the 1840s and ADs), wider sounding. These Shure actually leak a bit of sound though and they are more comfortable (lighter as well) than the ADs.

 

 

Also got some Beyerdynamic T5p with Blue Dragon cables, bought used. The only other Beyer I had was the DT770 Pro 80s which are basshead preferred and they don't sound anything alike. Anyway, I have to say that the T5p's are "Ok". Their highlight is definitely their mids, very clear, forward and just excellent. Soundstage and imaging are very good as well but their highs are a bit too much sometimes (maybe too revealing to my tastes or maybe they are too peaky?). Bass is actually quite anemic (surprising since the DT770s were so powerful) but what it shows it's 

good quality. These are very comfortable as well, good isolation and no leakage.

 

Comparison summary, 

 

Bass quantity: SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Bass quality: Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Mids presentation: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540
Soundstage/imaging: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs == SRH1540
Highs: Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p
Sound Isolation/Leakage: Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Fun Factor: SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Price: Alpha Dogs == SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p

 

Finally, just wanted to mention that I tested these guys with my usual setup:

 

Cowon C2 --> Schiit Magni
FiiO X3 --> Schiit Magni
PC --> NuForce Icon HDP --> Lehman BCL
Straight from the FiiO X3 (and yes, the Alpha Dogs sound good from the X3)

 

 

Summary:
 
So, if I were to choose a favorite from these three overall, I would pick the Alpha Dogs based on their excellent
mids, good imaging, Ok bass presence, excellent isolation and leakage control, and very good price/performance.
Let's not forget about Dan's customer service as well. Now, does this automatically says the other two are bad?

Not at all. I've had fun every time I listen ot the Shure's and actually enjoy some Radiohead and acoustic 
performances on the T5p's but I don't feel these two particularly blast away the ADs.

 

I also would like to mention, I wouldn't spend $1300 on the Beyer's. ;-)

 

 


Conclusion:

 

So after writing all of this and taking my sweet time I can finally say that I'm definitely a fan of the Alpha Dogs.
Sadly I haven't compared it to other orthodynamics or flagships, but I'm only limited to closed-back headphones since I mostly use them in my workplace. Now, are the Alpha Dogs the BEST closed-back headphone I have ever tried soundwise? No, I actually prefer Ultrasone Signature DJs/Pros over them... ;-) but let's re-phrase the question.
Are the Alpha Dogs one of the most comfortable, very good sounding closed-back headphone I've tried? As of today, yes they are. Couple that with excellent customer support, excellent perks (removable pads, cables, etc.) and excellent price and you definitely have a winner!!

 

So all in all, unless you are a basshead or just want more slam, the Alpha Dogs are an EXCELLENT buy. Just be sure of what you really want and make your selection based on your tastes and gear.

 

 

Thanks.

post #4622 of 8751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
 

You're welcome.  Honestly, if I'd known how many orders were going to come in I'd have waited to announce.  I didn't mean to keep people waiting for upgrades for so long!  We'll get there, so thanks for the patience.

I don't mind the wait, knowing that the option will be there.  I'm happy you did things the way you did.  Besides, it's not like I'm suffering with my Mad Dog.

post #4623 of 8751
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

Alpha Dogs review... will post it in the review section later on... it's late.


 

Introduction


First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very in-depth, my first impressions still stand (mostly), and everything has been mentioned to death but I thought I at least should record it for posterity :p
 
Anyway I've been a fan of the Mad Dogs since I got them on June/July 2012 and I've definitely been very vocal about them. They just hit all the right buttons I was looking for on a closed-back headphone:

 

  • good comfort
  • isolation
  • no leakage
  • excellent mids and good bass response

 
I remember the first time I got the Mad Dogs, I put them up to test and noticed something was "off". Bass response and extension wasn't what I was expecting and indeed the headphones couldn't properly reproduce sound below 40Hz (as far as I remember). Dan noticed my post in the thread, contacted me, requested the headphones back, and after a few days I got the properly tuned headphone (all at his expense of course). So now, not only did I had an excellent sounding headphone in my arsenal, the best thing, it kept getting better with updates. Moved from the Shure pads to the Dog and Alpha's (but did not perform the final 3.2 tuning as I felt they were great as they were.) Then... big news, Jude introduced a video talking in length about these new 3D-printed headphones... MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs.
 
Now, I didn't have access to the video at work so I didn't even noticed Jude's enthusiasm until later but I went to the order page on the spot and just ordered blindly!

And I'm glad I did! ;-)

 

 

Pros: Professional looking, excellent sound (clear), good comfort and isolation, very good presentation and accessories, excellent customer support.
 
Cons: Heavier than Mad Dogs, cable is great but don't particularly like Y-cables (prefer one sided), bass impact, still needs ample amplification to sound its best.

 


Specs:
 

  • Frequency response (+/- 3dB): 16Hz to 18KHz
  • Efficiency: 90dB/mW
  • Weight (without cable): 440g
  • Cable: Dual entry

 
 
Package Contents:
 

  • Alpha Dog's black Box (very good looking actually).
  • Headphones
  • MrSpeakers Stand
  • Dual-entry cable
  • Black pouch
  • 3M Cleaning Cloth

 
 

Design, Comfort and Build:

Design-wise, the Alpha Dogs still look like the original T50RP. I guess this is due to the unchanged headband design (although MrSpeakers adds a leather strap just as he did with the Mad Dogs). The new 3d-Printed cups though are a treat. They seem well constructed, and they are definitely well painted. Overall, they look very professional and in fact shares a bit of similarity with Fostex TH900s regarding color choice and form. Just like the original T50RP, I think they could withdstand a bit of abuse but I'm not sure how prone to scratches or marks the paint job is (and I don't want to find out willingly! ;-)) nor how durable the plastic used for the cups is but they feel sturdy enough for usual and even portable use.
 
Comfort with the Mad Dogs has always been great and when the Alpha Pads were introduced, they were like pillows on your ears. I'm glad to say that this feeling was not lost with the Alpha Dogs. You can put the headphones on your head and the comfort is excellent BUT after a few hours you start noticing the weight the new cups and the cable is exerting, especially if you use lighter headphones as well.

 

 

I find the Mad Dogs more comfortable in the end due to the weight factor but if you like the MDs and don't mind the extra weight, then you should be good to go!
 
 
Sound:
 
Now the most important part. The sound.
As usual, the first time I put the Alpha Dogs over my ears I knew I had to give it a bit of time so my brain
could play "catch-up". For some reason, every time I use any dynamic headphone (be it the Momentum, Signature DJ, Dido D901, etc.) and jump to the Mad Dogs or Alpha Dogs I ALWAYS find the headphones underwhelming!!! I have mentioned this a few times before on the Mad Dog threads and I think this is very important because even though I've had the Mad Dogs for a year plus now, I still experience the same thing (this doesn't really happen when
I compare or use other headphones). So I don't think "quick 5 minute impressions" work well with these 2 cans. Anyway, first few times I used the Alpha Dogs the first impressions were:
 
1) "Oh, they sound very clear..." (i.e. the "warmth" of the Mad Dogs was not as present)
2) "Wait, where is the bass?"
3) Love my girl Sara Bareilles on this!
4) "Amber Rubarth. Are you singing to me?"
5) "but highs sound weird..."
 
Then I remembered, "let's spend at least 20 minutes with these..." and there it was... Non ear-piercing clear highs, sibilance on bad recordings was not "enhanced" (i.e. like happens on some of my "Studio" headphones), vocals were shining through (male and female), guitar crunch was splendid on some of the metal I listen to, basically the mids were mostly left untouched as-in it is still fairly "neutral", but that added "air", that "clean-up" did make most genres more enjoyable and in fact most instruments sound more "natural" to me. Listening to something like "Basin Street Blues" is a total treat on these. Changing gears, I went through my usual playlist consisting of:
 
Thrice - Under a Killing Moon
Miguel Bose - Este Mundo Va
Kaskade - Fire in your Shoes
Blink 182 - Kaleidoscope
Jon Cleary - When you Get back
Mima - Oigo Voces
Esperanza Spalding - What a Friend
Sara Bareilles - Vegas
Killswitch Engage - Fixation on the Darkness
Juancho - Pillala
Boston - More than a Feeling
J-King y Maximan - Ella me Pide Something
Calvin Harris - Feel so Close
Three Six Mafia - Late Night Tip
Orquesta Macabeo - Me Repito

 

 

Just like the Mad Dogs before it, the Alpha Dogs can play most of these genres without breaking a sweat. But again I noticed something missing. So let's get into a head-to-head comparison.

How do the Alpha Dogs compare to the Mad Dogs? As mentioned their sound is different and it is actually quite surprising how the drivers can behave with different enclosure and/or tuning. The Alpha Dogs added that something the Mad Dogs really lacked and that's a bit more treble energy, a bit more "air" in the upper-mids and highs. Not only that, but the Bass bump of the Mad Dogs was tamed a bit and it is more refined and faster. What this does is give the illusion that there is less bass presence and elevated mids/highs. And this is basically my main "nitpick". For genres that rely on bass SLAM and presence (sub-bass), the clean sound of the Alpha Dogs and tamed lower-end is not the best match (my preference though). So while the bass indeed goes low, the lack of impact extracts a bit of the "fun" factor in songs like Kaskade's "Fire in your New Shoes"/"One Heart"/
"Room for Happiness" or even Jon Cleary's "When You get Back". On the other hand, all of these sound very good 
with their forward mids and controlled highs (something a couple of headphones cannot do either!). Oh my! ...

 

Soundstage is actually one of those topics that were discussed a few months ago in detail and quite frankly I don't find it as a huge upgrade to the Mad Dogs, but again, the "clearer" sound make it sound like it is a bit wider. Imaging though is actually improved and it's probably one of the upgrades I like the most! This is what I liked the most from the open-back Shure SRH1840s and now I can get it on a closed-back headphone! Yay! In the months that followed, I acquired a few other headphones and, what the heck, decided to compare them as well. 

 

First the Shure SRH1540s. I've been a fan of Shure for a few years now and have had in my posession the 440s, 840s, 940s, 1840s and now 1540s. I was surprised at their departure for their sound on this new flagship. Surprisingly these are almost borderline basshead. After coming from the 940s (bright, boosted highs, cold-ish sounding) and the 1840s (warm, laid back mids and highs with good bass presence, similar to HD600s by Sennheiser) these sound weird, but in a good way. Compared directly to the Alpha Dogs, 1540s offer more bass, a bit boomy, mids not as forward but clear and good sounding, non-offensive highs, excellent imaging (similar to the 1840s and ADs), wider sounding. These Shure actually leak a bit of sound though and they are more comfortable (lighter as well) than the ADs.

 

 

Also got some Beyerdynamic T5p with Blue Dragon cables, bought used. The only other Beyer I had was the DT770 Pro 80s which are basshead preferred and they don't sound anything alike. Anyway, I have to say that the T5p's are "Ok". Their highlight is definitely their mids, very clear, forward and just excellent. Soundstage and imaging are very good as well but their highs are a bit too much sometimes (maybe too revealing to my tastes or maybe they are too peaky?). Bass is actually quite anemic (surprising since the DT770s were so powerful) but what it shows it's 

good quality. These are very comfortable as well, good isolation and no leakage.

 

Comparison summary, 

 

Bass quantity: SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Bass quality: Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Mids presentation: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540
Soundstage/imaging: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs == SRH1540
Highs: Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p
Sound Isolation/Leakage: Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Fun Factor: SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Price: Alpha Dogs == SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p

 

Finally, just wanted to mention that I tested these guys with my usual setup:

 

Cowon C2 --> Schiit Magni
FiiO X3 --> Schiit Magni
PC --> NuForce Icon HDP --> Lehman BCL
Straight from the FiiO X3 (and yes, the Alpha Dogs sound good from the X3)

 

 

Summary:
 
So, if I were to choose a favorite from these three overall, I would pick the Alpha Dogs based on their excellent
mids, good imaging, Ok bass presence, excellent isolation and leakage control, and very good price/performance.
Let's not forget about Dan's customer service as well. Now, does this automatically says the other two are bad?

Not at all. I've had fun every time I listen ot the Shure's and actually enjoy some Radiohead and acoustic 
performances on the T5p's but I don't feel these two particularly blast away the ADs.

 

I also would like to mention, I wouldn't spend $1300 on the Beyer's. ;-)

 

 


Conclusion:

 

So after writing all of this and taking my sweet time I can finally say that I'm definitely a fan of the Alpha Dogs.
Sadly I haven't compared it to other orthodynamics or flagships, but I'm only limited to closed-back headphones since I mostly use them in my workplace. Now, are the Alpha Dogs the BEST closed-back headphone I have ever tried soundwise? No, I actually prefer Ultrasone Signature DJs/Pros over them... ;-) but let's re-phrase the question.
Are the Alpha Dogs one of the most comfortable, very good sounding closed-back headphone I've tried? As of today, yes they are. Couple that with excellent customer support, excellent perks (removable pads, cables, etc.) and excellent price and you definitely have a winner!!

 

So all in all, unless you are a basshead or just want more slam, the Alpha Dogs are an EXCELLENT buy. Just be sure of what you really want and make your selection based on your tastes and gear.

 

 

Thanks.

 

 

Thanks for taking time to compare the AD with Shure 1540…  I was very close to pulling the trigger in purchasing the 1540's…  But the AD is more of my taste per your review.

 

However, the carbon fiber on the 1540 looks wayyy cool…  But you know what???….  "all headphones looks the same with you're wearing them…" :wink_face:

 

AWESOME!


Edited by dyang - 12/19/13 at 1:11am
post #4624 of 8751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
 

 

No numbers yet, there are about 100 people on the list.  We'll be sending out the first 10 upgrade emails in the first week of Jan.

Sweet, I hope I am in the top 10. I think I signed up within 2 min of when you posted on headfi, so I think my chances are decent. I have been super excited to hear alpha dogs.

post #4625 of 8751

@gelocks - Sounds like your Beyers are either defective or have not been burned in properly.  Mine have both stronger and tighter bass presence then the ADs.  ADs sound excellent as well but their weight is a bit over the top for me and the headband comfort is also an issue.  I really hope v2 improves upon those aspects even if the sound stays the same I would be interested in just the comfort improvements.

post #4626 of 8751
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post
 

@gelocks - Sounds like your Beyers are either defective or have not been burned in properly.  Mine have both stronger and tighter bass presence then the ADs.  ADs sound excellent as well but their weight is a bit over the top for me and the headband comfort is also an issue.  I really hope v2 improves upon those aspects even if the sound stays the same I would be interested in just the comfort improvements.

 

What do you mean of v2?

post #4627 of 8751

V2.  Omega Dogs.

 

post #4628 of 8751
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post
 

@gelocks - Sounds like your Beyers are either defective or have not been burned in properly.  Mine have both stronger and tighter bass presence then the ADs.  ADs sound excellent as well but their weight is a bit over the top for me and the headband comfort is also an issue.  I really hope v2 improves upon those aspects even if the sound stays the same I would be interested in just the comfort improvements.

 

Well, I only believe in brain burn-in, and I've already had the Beyers for at least 1 month (probably more) AND they were "used" so they should be "charred" already... ... ...

It doesn't matter which source, I can play the same song on them and the ADs and I FEEL more bass presence on the Alpha's. Just listening to Bomba Estereo - "Rocas" right now and the effect is completely pronounced. No, I don't mean the Beyer DOESN'T have bass, but it's anemic! (even less impact than the Alpha's). And if you play that track, you'll notice that mid-bass is used throughout while sub-bass use is minimal. On the AD's you "feel" the sub-bass presence. Not as strongly on the Beyer's. Using my Sig DJs, heck, no question about the "feel"...

 

Can you point me to a track in your collection where you believe the T5p's provide MORE impact, more slam and more presence (sub-bass) than the Alpha Dogs?

Heck, just playing Three Six Mafia's - "Late Night Tip" which is mostly ALL sub-bass, the Beyers are just "meh"... (you can probably look for that track on YouTube).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

 

What do you mean of v2?

 

He means of a FUTURE tuning for the Alpha Dogs. It probably WONT happen but IF there's one available next year or so, Dan will let us know.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunneebear View Post
 

V2.  Omega Dogs.

 

 

Cute...  lol!  :p

post #4629 of 8751

Yeah all of Dan's focus went into the weight and comfort for the V2.  Nothing else.

post #4630 of 8751
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunneebear View Post
 

V2.  Omega Dogs.

 

 

They look deer to me!

post #4631 of 8751
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

 

They look deer to me!

lol, had to look at your location. Could not tell if you meant the animal, or the price.

post #4632 of 8751

Mine took a significant burn in, meaning I have had them over a year and put them through 100 hours white/pink/brown noise upfront and they are still getting better.  Pretty much every song I throw at them has more bass impact then the ADs.  Could it be your custom cabling?  Perhaps some damage during the re-cable?  They clearly do not need re-cabled so I am wondering if perhaps the previous owner had a problem and thought that the cable was the issue.  A second thing to consider is I noticed the T5p actually originally came in 2 or more different revisions.  Mine came from Australia and not sure what the differences are No.5476.  I suspect either defective or damaged or not burned in well.

 

One advantage of the AD is they don't really need a burn-in but that is not at all true for the Beyers.  The drivers and diaphragms are pretty significant and take time to loosen up.  Put some good power pumping bass into them for a few dozen hours and try again otherwise I am convinced they are defective.

 

Anyway this is off topic for this thread just concerned you might have gotten a bad set that gave you the wrong impression.


Edited by groovyd - 12/19/13 at 1:54pm
post #4633 of 8751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
 

lol, had to look at your location. Could not tell if you meant the animal, or the price.

I meant this                                        Dog vs. Deer

     


Edited by pdrm360 - 12/19/13 at 2:08pm
post #4634 of 8751

Chihuahua.

 

Also available in pug, poodle, terrier, wolf, beagle, bull and mutt.  For all those whining about the V1's red.

post #4635 of 8751

Alpha Dog Tip:

 

I did some experimenting recently with the position of the Alpha Dogs on my head, while listening.

The User Manual suggests turning the pads 10 degrees, and for me, that would match the angle between the vertical line of my ears versus the vertical line of my head.

However, I tried a larger angle and found that a larger angle was able to seal better at the point behind my ears, where my jaw meets my skull.

When I did that, the existing slight emphasis to upper mid and treble vanished, and now the overall balance is more like the Mad Dog (not identical but less of a difference in frequency balance than I found at first).

 

Flat, neutral headphones seems to be very dependent on having them placed just right on your head - because if you have something wrong, then the bass response will be too low (and you will think "these headphones suck").  Whereas with "fun" headphones that have boosted bass, if you have them placed wrong, you just lose most of the boost, but it still sounds pretty good.

 

(I am also finding that if you have a good EQ like on Jriver MediaCenter, you can also get some of the same "fun but not flat" sound on the Alpha Dog (that you get on the Mad Dog) by boosting the bass by a few db - somewhere like 100hz or 150hz.)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones