Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 305

post #4561 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
 


I've gotten a few requests for longer cables.  We may offer a 10' option in the future, but for now we are barely able to keep up with cable production.  Your best bet is DIY or one of the cable vendors...

 

Yep no worries.. obviously not a priority until things settle down.

 

 

Has anyone tried pairing AD and schiit Mjolnir?? I'd be interested o hear any impressions on that combo

post #4562 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshark View Post
 

 

Yep no worries.. obviously not a priority until things settle down.

 

 

Has anyone tried pairing AD and schiit Mjolnir?? I'd be interested o hear any impressions on that combo

If you search this thread for "Mjolnir", you will find a few comments about it.

post #4563 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
 

If you search this thread for "Mjolnir", you will find a few comments about it.

 

I found a few passing comments but nothing in depth unfortunately..

 

Was hoping there might be a member or two out there with an early pair who could give us some impressions now the dust has settled

post #4564 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post
 

What you are missing is that is a circular argument.  How do you know that the test says a lot about the harmonic distortion that will be reproduced during music ?  Because you reason that it does.  You are your own validation.   It sounds like science because it has numbers and test devices, but in reality it is not scientific.

 

What you are missing is that you tend to make a lot of (il)logical leaps and assumptions when arguing with others. And though you did not state it explicitly, this quote right here is the equivalency of saying, "I don't understand basic principles of science or how to apply scientific results and analysis to the real world." (Consider this...music is sine waves. If ONE sine wave at any frequency produces HD, it logically and scientifically follows that a collection of multiple sine waves played at the same time will also produce HD, and likely even at a greater magnitude than one sine wave...multiple sine waves also bring in the topic of intermodulation distortion. This should not be difficult to accept considering you were quick to assume most people in the $120 Vali thread didn't listen to a wide variety of music based on even larger logical leaps.)

 

If you don't believe me or think I'm just pulling this all out of my a** to support what I'm saying, fine. I know I'm no expert despite all I've learned so far, but you have mentioned earlier (and unintentionally make it clear in your posts) that this topic is not one you're entirely up-to-speed on. If you are so unsure about these topics (you did ask "How do you know...?"), you really ought to research them more before trying to call others out. 

 

But, as such, the topics of T50RP driver limitations vs. larger, often more technically competent ortho (or not) drivers generally seen in more expensive headphones, whether or not this even matters based on the limits of human hearing, how this factors into pricing and value, etc. are getting OT and best served elsewhere.

 

I'm also a really big fan of the T50RP driver, FYI, and was part of the DIY community when the Paradox was just a whisper and the Mad Dog did not yet exist (I was much less of a modding contributor and more of a learner). Just because I recognize its technical limitations doesn't mean I don't also recognize how amazing it is. It's not quite a top-tier driver, but it's arguably one of the best value-to-performance propositions you can find in terms of drivers.

 

Apologies for being OT, but I hope what I've said about the T50RP driver does not make one enjoy the AD or any other T50RP product any less (because it shouldn't). :p I also want to make it clear that while I appreciate measurements and do use them as a tool, my current setup is using a NOS DAC. That should say something about my approach to all of this (if you don't know why or what a NOS DAC is, consult teh Googs).


Edited by hans030390 - 12/16/13 at 9:39pm
post #4565 of 8447

I won't say any more out of respect to others who have made it clear that they are not interested in the subject, and will take it to PM.   In this particular case it is largely on topic, BUT other members have a right to have a say in the direction of the thread, and they have spoken that they are not interested in this aspect.

post #4566 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post
 

However, enclosure design is a massive part of speaker design and speaker quality, and so it makes sense that it is also a major contributor to headphone quality.  The Mad Dog - along with the Paradox and Thunderpants - represents as far as one can go with the existing Fostex enclosure, yet my first hand experience - and those of others in this thread and in reviews - is that the Alpha Dog has significantly better detail and clarity than the Mad Dog.  So, the change in enclosure definitely makes a significant difference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post
 

Actually, I don't have any doubt that - if I could keep only one pair of headphones period, full stop, it would be the Mad Dogs.  It has "more genre bandwidth" or I think Mike Ting would say "more of an all-rounder".

 

 

Not sure how to reconcile those two statements from the same person. The first quote sounds like you're arguing that changing the enclosure to that of the AD has improved the output of the driver, however you state in the second quote that the original enclosure produces to your ears, and more enjoyable sound.

post #4567 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Not sure how to reconcile those two statements from the same person. The first quote sounds like you're arguing that changing the enclosure to that of the AD has improved the output of the driver, however you state in the second quote that the original enclosure produces to your ears, and more enjoyable sound.

Since you ask, detail and clarity were the parameters in the first quote, and genre bandwidth in the second quote.

 

For example, if you are listening to Skrillex, the detail and clarity are less of a factor, and so the greater bass quantity of the Mad Dog makes it more enjoyable for that particular artist/genre.

 

Again, take anything further to PM please, out of respect to other members' wishes.

post #4568 of 8447

@kstuart The last time I checked the Thunderpants don't have the T50RP stock enclosure.

post #4569 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
 

@kstuart The last time I checked the Thunderpants don't have the T50RP stock enclosure.

Yes, you're right, I misspoke.

 

And in fact, until recently, they were regarded in an almost mystical light, in terms of their improvement over the other T50RP mods - see:  http://www.headfonia.com/standing-ovation-smeggys-thunderpants/

 

Just to take one quote from that review:

Quote:
 One word is that it has a crystal clear and clean sound, and in that aspect even better than the LCD-2 and the Hifiman HE-400/500 perhaps only rivalled but the HE-6.

Which is very similar to what I had mentioned about the Alpha Dog, and which was what the argument was really about, that a T50RP mod could not be that good.

post #4570 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post
 

Which is very similar to what I had mentioned about the Alpha Dog, and which was what the argument was really about, that a T50RP mod could not be that good.

 

Ah, I see my point was missed entirely, then. Explains a lot...you were arguing about something I was not. I do apologize if I am hard to follow at times.


Edited by hans030390 - 12/17/13 at 12:46am
post #4571 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post
 

Which is very similar to what I had mentioned about the Alpha Dog, and which was what the argument was really about, that a T50RP mod could not be that good.

 

Ah, I see my point was missed entirely, then. Explains a lot...you were arguing about something I was not. I do apologize if I am hard to follow at times.

I am certainly hard to follow a lot of the time !

 

Often, technical people are not the best at communicating.

 

Actually, given that now anyone on Earth can (in theory), post in these threads, I am amazed that there is mostly good communications.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C.S. View Post
 

[...] It's very irritating to try to find information in this thread when this keeps happening.

 

A thread is a long line of posts in chronological order.  So one thread is a terrible format for "information" and a perfect format for discussion ("arguing").

 

If someone wanted to make it easy to find information, then each headphone should have its own sub-Forum, and every time that someone received their headphones and had "impressions" to post, they would start a new thread "Joe's Impressions" and "Fred's Impressions".  (If someone has a question with Joe's use of the word "transparency" then that would occur in the thread about "Joe's Impressions".  Then if the MOT (headphone maker) was posting, they would have an "Announcements" thread where they would say " We are now shipping October 30 " and " Connectors are now available on the web site ".  Just looking at the sub-Forum thread list would instantly tell you whether there was anything really new.

post #4572 of 8447

I gave the Alpha Dog a Writers Choice Award at Positive Feedback!

Man I love these cans

Check out my Awards HERE

just scroll down to my section to see the award for @mrspeakers!!

post #4573 of 8447

Nice, more power to the AD club!

post #4574 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post
 

If someone wanted to make it easy to find information, then each headphone should have its own sub-Forum, and every time that someone received their headphones and had "impressions" to post, they would start a new thread "Joe's Impressions" and "Fred's Impressions".  (If someone has a question with Joe's use of the word "transparency" then that would occur in the thread about "Joe's Impressions".  Then if the MOT (headphone maker) was posting, they would have an "Announcements" thread where they would say " We are now shipping October 30 " and " Connectors are now available on the web site ".  Just looking at the sub-Forum thread list would instantly tell you whether there was anything really new.

 

Or we could stay generally on topic. That makes it a lot easier to deal with. Nothing stops us from starting a new thread when we want to argue about something (and linking it here), and leave this thread so when people want to learn about AD headphones, they can.

 

Case in point, the last 9 posts in this thread (including this one), has no valuable information about AD's. I know if I look at a thread with 305 pages in it, and the last page is a bunch of bickering, I tend to think that the last 50 pages are most likely off topic crap, and I go look for information elsewhere.

post #4575 of 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

I gave the Alpha Dog a Writers Choice Award at Positive Feedback!

Man I love these cans

Check out my Awards HERE

just scroll down to my section to see the award for @mrspeakers!!

Awesome!!! :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones