Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 202

post #3016 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime86 View Post

I like your honesty, So many people just go with the hype these days and exaggerated. Due to the closed nature it's going to be impossible to get a closed phone to sound like an open phone. The best example of a soundstage is probably my DT770 they outdo my k702 in that regard but in terms of air I have not heard a comparison to the open backs.

+1

 

zowki - how would you say the soundstage compares to other closed back headphones?

post #3017 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyProduce View Post
 

+1

 

zowki - how would you say the soundstage compares to other closed back headphones?


The AD's soundstage is pretty good for a closed headphone but cannot be compared to an open headphone. The closed headphone I owned most recently before the AD is the Beyerdynamic DT250. The AD has marginally larger soundstage than the DT250.


Edited by zowki - 10/17/13 at 1:19am
post #3018 of 8576

Not sure why anyone would seriously expect a closed headphone to compete with open headphones for soundstage and open sound.... Not sure it is even possible... I have never used a closed headphone which sounds like open headphones anyway...


Edited by nicholars - 10/17/13 at 1:40am
post #3019 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

Not sure why anyone would seriously expect a closed headphone to compete with open headphones for soundstage and open sound.... Not sure it is even possible... I have never used a closed headphone which sounds as open as open headphones anyway...

Because people are hyping about it

post #3020 of 8576

Perhaps the amp Jude heard them with had something to do with his impression? Not sure, just a possibility. 

post #3021 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post
 

Perhaps the amp Jude heard them with had something to do with his impression? Not sure, just a possibility. 


Even Smyth Realiser can't make TH900 sound like HD800 - I tried. There's always that something missing. Just compare for what it is.

post #3022 of 8576
Anyone know how long the wait time is to be summoned for the MD to AD upgrade?
post #3023 of 8576

where can i buy the alpha dog? the mad dog site seems to be down or something 

post #3024 of 8576

Same site, but it seems to be down right now.  Hope Dan will get it fixed soon.

post #3025 of 8576

I think that the office is closed for a couple days. Not sure about the web site. 

post #3026 of 8576

Im thinking of selling my 650's to get the alpha, anyone have a specs sheet?

post #3027 of 8576
Zowki, that's what I thought too. The AD sounds fantastic, one of my favorite hp's in fact, but it doesn't sound open to me. However, I heard no congestion, which is a problem for many closed cans. The only "closed" phones I've heard that sound open are the TH600/900. But they don't isolate as well as the AD, and I agree with above that they'll never be HD800 open, but then neither is any other hp.
post #3028 of 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgunsphd View Post

Anyone know how long the wait time is to be summoned for the MD to AD upgrade?

 

The site indicated upgrades would begin after the initial rush new AD orders was fulfilled, and Dan has lots and lots new orders right now apparently.

post #3029 of 8576

What is soundstage?  The HD600 was my favorite for years but to my ears they sounded more wider in a airier sense.  OTOH my CD3000 and 7506 did not have that airiness but a more accurate image of the stage layout or mix.  So more of the time the two closed phones had a wider stage of instrument placement than the HD600.

post #3030 of 8576

Agreed.  I don't have the TH-600 anymore but they have excellent air and transparency.  It is one of my favorite closed headphones but the mids can't touch the AD.  I would say my own modded T50RP with the vents only slightly blocked sound more "open" than the AD.  However, the AD is a step up above my own modded version which is darker in tonality.  The AD's treble is clean and the bass tighter than my own mod.  Imaging is on point with this AD.  To my ears, the TH-600 is euphoric with it's U-shaped frequency response and the AD's neutrality makes the experience honest yet lively esp. with a good tube amp.  Will eventually getting around to trying the AD on a SS amp.  I could see there might be times I would prefer one headphone (AD, TH-600) over the other but money no object I might have both in the arsenal because their attributes complement each other.  With the Decware Taboo which tends to be a transparent amp there is no congestion that I can hear in the AD.  The AD doesn't scream treble energy which at times I may even mistake for transparency and air.  I don't have the LCD-2 anymore but I recall that planar as not having a huge soundstage even though it was an open headphone.  Like the LCD-2, the AD is an intimate experience and like many have mentioned we don't necessarily need to go super wide or deep in the acoustic presentation.  AD seems just right for my listening habits (jazz trios).  After a week with these ADs I am a happy planar camper.            

   

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

Zowki, that's what I thought too. The AD sounds fantastic, one of my favorite hp's in fact, but it doesn't sound open to me. However, I heard no congestion, which is a problem for many closed cans. The only "closed" phones I've heard that sound open are the TH600/900. But they don't isolate as well as the AD, and I agree with above that they'll never be HD800 open, but then neither is any other hp.

Edited by WNBC - 10/17/13 at 7:07am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones