or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 199

post #2971 of 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
 

Now that we're starting to catch up, here is the often requested frequency response.  This is not an average, it is not smoothed, and it's a single point measurement (vs an average of multiple passes for one phone) for our master reference headphone.  We tune our phones to be within +/-2dB of this curve.

 

As usual, the rolloff that starts at about 1.5K is characteristic of our headphone measurement system, and actually this represents linear.  What's going on in the plot above 5K is very random based on micro adjustments of the phone on the test fixture.  

 

I always hesitate to put plots out as many people expect headphone measurements to look like ruler flat speaker plots, but the reality is above 1.5K peaks and troughs are part of "flat" measurements.  

 

THAT'S JUST NOT FAIR. Good job on the Alphas… I guess I'll be ordering these soon enough. :eek: These could be the most linear headphones under $1000.

post #2972 of 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by maricius View Post
 

THAT'S JUST NOT FAIR. Good job on the Alphas… I guess I'll be ordering these soon enough. :eek: These could be the most linear headphones under $1000.

Just so I can save some time and not do the research myself, but what headphones are more linear than this?  I'm hoping experienced folk will weigh in on this.

 

Another quick update regarding the bass of the Alpha's vs. the HE-5LE.  Please excuse my metaphor here, but  the  5LE bass response reminds me of a quality sealed sub placed in a corner for room gain, whereas the AD's are more like the same sub placed in a neutral room position with plenty of room correction and bass traps.

 

Listening to Opeth 'Blackwater Park' was the test track.  I also gave the AD's a 3 dB boots @ 60 Hz, which brought it closer to the 5LE response.  This was my first genuine 'wow' moment with the AD's.

post #2973 of 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

Just so I can save some time and not do the research myself, but what headphones are more linear than this?  I'm hoping experienced folk will weigh in on this.

 

Another quick update regarding the bass of the Alpha's vs. the HE-5LE.  Please excuse my metaphor here, but  the  5LE bass response reminds me of a quality sealed sub placed in a corner for room gain, whereas the AD's are more like the same sub placed in a neutral room position with plenty of room correction and bass traps.

 

Listening to Opeth 'Blackwater Park' was the test track.  I also gave the AD's a 3 dB boots @ 60 Hz, which brought it closer to the 5LE response.  This was my first genuine 'wow' moment with the AD's.

That's the beauty of the screw in the Alphas :)

 

And +1 to wondering what headphones are more linear? Of course there's going to be all sorts of perceptual differences blah blah but just from a measurement sandpoint.


Edited by azteca x - 10/16/13 at 5:21am
post #2974 of 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

Just so I can save some time and not do the research myself, but what headphones are more linear than this?  I'm hoping experienced folk will weigh in on this.

 

Another quick update regarding the bass of the Alpha's vs. the HE-5LE.  Please excuse my metaphor here, but  the  5LE bass response reminds me of a quality sealed sub placed in a corner for room gain, whereas the AD's are more like the same sub placed in a neutral room position with plenty of room correction and bass traps.

 

Listening to Opeth 'Blackwater Park' was the test track.  I also gave the AD's a 3 dB boots @ 60 Hz, which brought it closer to the 5LE response.  This was my first genuine 'wow' moment with the AD's.

I don't know. I try not to look at anything above for money's sake. :D Have you tried playing with the bass screw?

post #2975 of 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by maricius View Post
 

I don't know. I try not to look at anything above for money's sake. :D Have you tried playing with the bass screw?

Nope.  At this point, I would rather add and subtract EQ.  Once I have time to fiddle with parametric, I can get down to some serious work.  But if I absolutely had to sell the AD's, I think there is more value to factory-set specs then me adjusting it.

 

for me, this is a head-to-head with the 5LE.  One goes, one stays.

post #2976 of 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

Just so I can save some time and not do the research myself, but what headphones are more linear than this?  I'm hoping experienced folk will weigh in on this.

 

Another quick update regarding the bass of the Alpha's vs. the HE-5LE.  Please excuse my metaphor here, but  the  5LE bass response reminds me of a quality sealed sub placed in a corner for room gain, whereas the AD's are more like the same sub placed in a neutral room position with plenty of room correction and bass traps.

 

Listening to Opeth 'Blackwater Park' was the test track.  I also gave the AD's a 3 dB boots @ 60 Hz, which brought it closer to the 5LE response.  This was my first genuine 'wow' moment with the AD's.

There is really no way to tell from measurements unless the same source measures a bunch of other headphones; or if another headphone measurer who already has a large archive of measurements, measures the AD.

post #2977 of 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

Nope.  At this point, I would rather add and subtract EQ.  Once I have time to fiddle with parametric, I can get down to some serious work.  But if I absolutely had to sell the AD's, I think there is more value to factory-set specs then me adjusting it.

 

for me, this is a head-to-head with the 5LE.  One goes, one stays.

 

:eek:

post #2978 of 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

Listening to Opeth 'Blackwater Park' was the test track.

 

Great song swspiers ;) 

post #2979 of 9033

Swspiers you listen to bot orthos at Fiio E10? I couldnt agree about subwoofer bass at 5LE, maybe some added body on higher bass-lower mids but in overall SQ its quiate subtle and nice matched.

 

Generally if I were you I would give both cans serious time before making final decision. Im also waiting for more impression from battlefield:)

post #2980 of 9033

oo my, my pair of AD finally landed in Canada, it is at the custom now,

hope they dont scratch it !!!!!!

hope i will have the AD by friday.

post #2981 of 9033
post #2982 of 9033

Tyll also measured the MD, actually.

 

MrSpeakers Mad Dog

(Edit: that was an old measurement, here's the new MD one Tyll measured: MrSpeakers Mad Dog New)

 

Certainly not the prettiest (300 Hz waves are commendable though), but Tyll's measurements have weird compensations so take the FRs especially with a grain of salt.


Edited by jerg - 10/16/13 at 4:57pm
post #2983 of 9033

I definitely look forward to Tyll's measurements and review of Alpha Dogs, which I assume he must be doing (perhaps Mr Speakers himself can answer that).

post #2984 of 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Tyll also measured the MD, actually.

 

MrSpeakers Mad Dog

 

Certainly not the prettiest (300 Hz waves are commendable though), but Tyll's measurements have weird compensations so take the FRs especially with a grain of salt.

 

That's an older measurement. I think from the version with 840 pads...? Tyll did updated measurements somewhere of the 3.0, I believe, but I don't think he put them up on his master list. You can find that here: link

 

I remember Dan commenting on the high THD and dip in the mids/treble as being a bit odd in that measurement. Or maybe it was just that Dan had the 3.2 revision in the pipeline and that it would improve on those problem areas. Something like that...


Edited by hans030390 - 10/16/13 at 1:34pm
post #2985 of 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post
 

 

That's an older measurement. I think from the version with 840 pads...? Tyll did updated measurements somewhere of the 3.0, I believe, but I don't think he put them up on his master list. You can find that here: link

 

I remember Dan commenting on the high THD and dip in the mids/treble as being a bit odd in that measurement. Or maybe it was just that Dan had the 3.2 revision in the pipeline and that it would improve on those problem areas. Something like that...

 

Wow, that FR and %THD+noise graphs look definitely a bit strange... But how come? Tyll measured TONS of headphones, he MUST have a very precise idea how to place them correctly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones