or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 92

post #1366 of 9040

Perhaps a unicorn with Claret on its horn?

post #1367 of 9040

All things being equal I would definitely rather have "too much" power than just enough. This design philosophy was fleshed out years and years ago. Music is dynamic and requires huge swings in power to deliver this dynamic. Of course this is all just my opinion. ;)

post #1368 of 9040
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post
 

 

 

You have a rather silly way of arguing. It's funny because it fits the stereotypical strawman argument to a T.

 

The HE-6 is incredibly inefficient as a result of the tracings of its driver. current does not move through easily unless there is plenty of force behind it, ie. more power. The amount of electricity delivered to the actual diaphragm is not much higher than any other headphone.

 

I've heard the GSX, and spoke to its creator in person. If you think he designed it with just power in mind, then you're wrong. If you think your HE-500 is actually getting 8 watts and is still breathing, you're also wrong. I'd love to see you use speaker amps with your headphones without the attenuators, then try adjusting the knob past 3%

 

The GSX is a good match because of its tuning and the control it exerts over the HD800. You shouldn't mention gear you haven't heard. Isn't that a rule somewhere?

 

I will purposely not respond to this. Temptation resisted!

:evil:

post #1369 of 9040
I'm almost sure all that excess power is there in case you DO need it, like again, say owning an HE-6. In no way is there any likelyhood that the x00 Hifimans or the LCD2 need anywhere NEAR that much power to reach their peak performance. But hey, head-fi loves to throw the argument that headphones need a substantial amount of power, even when they certainly don't. Just read ANY headphone thread with headphones that are highly praised. There will always be some people saying that headphone A needs at least xxx amount of power, even when headphone A is incredibly sensitive and won't ever begin to touch a mere fraction of whatever amp they're attempting to sway people into buying.

I believe at that point, it's more about sound signature matching between a headphone and the amp, amongst other factors, not an amp's maximum power.

Yes, more power is certainly nice to have, in case you ever do come across a radically insensitive headphone like the single digit Hifimans or something with radical impedance spikes.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/11/13 at 11:12pm
post #1370 of 9040
Can we move on from power unless it is specific to the Alpha Dog? This is really OT at this point and should be in Sound Science.
post #1371 of 9040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I'm almost sure all that excess power is there in case you DO need it, like again, say owning an HE-6. In no way is there any likelyhood that the x00 Hifimans or the LCD2 need anywhere NEAR that much power to reach their peak performance. But hey, head-fi loves to throw the argument that headphones need a substantial amount of power, even when they certainly don't. Just read ANY headphone thread with headphones that are highly praised. There will always be some people saying that headphone A needs at least xxx amount of power, even when headphone A is incredibly sensitive and won't ever begin to touch a mere fraction of whatever amp they're attempting to sway people into buying.

I believe at that point, it's more about sound signature matching between a headphone and the amp, amongst other factors, not an amp's maximum power.

Yes, more power is certainly nice to have, in case you ever do come across a radically insensitive headphone like the single digit Hifimans.

 

I honestly have nothing to disagree here. I'm fully aware of how little power headphones use on a average. Not sure why people keep trying to educate me on basic facts I've read dozens of times on the many threads here. I'm thinking near inifinite headroom helps amps operate super linear across the entire frequency response, from extreme to extreme. I think if the amp barely has to flex to drive something it's better than if it was using most of its power.

 

All this started because I told one guy he should consider using the Soloist some time in the future to see if his evaluation of the HE-500 vs. Mad Dog changes.

 

Dan actually uses the Conductor to showcase the Mad Dog/Alpha Dog. I think this opinion/request I expressed is quite reasonable.


Edited by M-13 - 9/11/13 at 11:18pm
post #1372 of 9040
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

I honestly have nothing to disagree here. I'm fully aware of how little power headphones use on a average. Not sure why people keep trying to educate me on basic facts I've read dozens of times on the many threads here. I'm thinking near inifinite headroom helps amps operate super linear across the entire frequency response, from extreme to extreme. I think if the amp barely has to flex to drive something it's better than if it was using most of its power.

All this started because I told one guy he should consider using the Soloist some time in the future to see if his evaluation of the HE-500 vs. Mad Dog changes.

Dan actually uses the Conductor to showcase the Mad Dog/Alpha Dog. I think this opinion/request I expressed is quite reasonable.
Yeeeeesss. Give in to the arguments! Tell them how it is! smily_headphones1.gif
post #1373 of 9040

Can't we just drop all of this? It's getting little to do with anything right now. I'm sure neither parties are being malicious and this is merely a clash of egos anyways. But let's not make it into something malicious.

 

Forgive me for my impatience on a product yet to be released, but I just really want to talk about the Dan Clark Unicorns - Friendship is Magic figurines.

post #1374 of 9040
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

Can we move on from power unless it is specific to the Alpha Dog? This is really OT at this point and should be in Sound Science.

 

+1 Tired of seeing updates just to see more OT content. 

 

:beerchug:

post #1375 of 9040

Yes I think officially the unicorn will be white but the horn will be claret. That sounds glorious! :beerchug:

post #1376 of 9040
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

Yes I think officially the unicorn will be white but the horn will be claret. That sounds glorious! :beerchug:

Maybe the horn can be adjustable like the bass screws and it'll change its colours. That way, everyone is happy about it. :)

post #1377 of 9040

I still say they should have pink horns and beige bodies by default. The adjustable colors option just seems wishy-washy. I'm willing to irrationally complain about this to no end. Possibly for 92 pages.

post #1378 of 9040

Any more guesses/predictions on the hush-hush cosmetic additions Dan has mentioned? I'm thinking that maybe he has a new logo...I do like the new understated font he uses for the 3.2s, though.

post #1379 of 9040
Amp power is soooo OT! Now get back to unicorns! rolleyes.gif
post #1380 of 9040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I'm almost sure all that excess power is there in case you DO need it, like again, say owning an HE-6. In no way is there any likelyhood that the x00 Hifimans or the LCD2 need anywhere NEAR that much power to reach their peak performance. But hey, head-fi loves to throw the argument that headphones need a substantial amount of power, even when they certainly don't. Just read ANY headphone thread with headphones that are highly praised. There will always be some people saying that headphone A needs at least xxx amount of power, even when headphone A is incredibly sensitive and won't ever begin to touch a mere fraction of whatever amp they're attempting to sway people into buying.

I believe at that point, it's more about sound signature matching between a headphone and the amp, amongst other factors, not an amp's maximum power.

Yes, more power is certainly nice to have, in case you ever do come across a radically insensitive headphone like the single digit Hifimans or something with radical impedance spikes.

 

Agreed. The D2000 fit this perfectly. They are quite efficient and don't really need an external amp, but with quality amps these can sound very, very good. I enjoyed the LCD-3's and D2000 almost equally from the BHA-1.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones