- 140 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: Hendersonville,TN
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headset 70% Gaming+30% Music! Last post on 7/27/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80 over ATH-M50? Last post on 6/22/14 at 12:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me buy headphone. Is ATH m50 overrated? Last post on 5/26/14 at 4:01pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- sennheiser hd 558 or momentum on ear or ath m50 for the same price? Last post on 1/8/14 at 10:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for suggestions for an amp/dac Last post on 12/30/13 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
Design and Comfort S5 is a new higher-end in-ear-monitor from Brainwavz retailing at about US$100. I’m glad Brainwavz has offerings at most price points below $200. It's great that companies such...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Best open headphones for around $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hi. I have some m50's but I'd also like some headphones for the house. I listen to electronic/dance. I like bass but sound quality comes first. I'd like some that would be better than my m50s on clarity. I'd like to hear EVERYTHING in the song, nothing covered up. Please don't tell me to look at closed headphones or ones with a lot of bass. Oh, and I'd also like them to be comfy and over ear. Been thinking about some sennheisers. I could send them to someone I know to get modded and could make them even better! Need some opinions!
At your price range, IEMs would be the only real direction to get serious increases in overall quality/clarity.
Otherwise, maybe save up more and enter the $300-range tier headphones. Bigger jumps there.
For around 100$, you can buy HD518 and remove outer plastic grill, or modify it like 598. I have tried lots of modifications on my HD558. (HD518/558/598 uses same driver, only outer grills on cups are different) I have compared side by side and owning HD558 (fully removed grill) and HD598. they are very close sounding phones -like 95%. (you can spot noticable difference only in large symphony works and some classical music)
However I figured out that some kind of damping material on back of the driver is optimal for them. So 518's inside construction is very similar to 598 that's why I see more modding opportunity in 518 then in 558. No soldering required. but if you can it will be usefull in case if you break wires.
If you are not fancy to modding, you can buy Sony MDR MA900, owning these also. Sometimes I think they are class upper headphones over HD598. (more bass less grainy) on ebay they can be found for 140$. I should note here that I am not happy with MA900 soundstage It is kind of a fake. Senn's have better.
You can consider also: (I have not tried them, I can not comment on them, just giving you idea)
AKG K612 pro
Philips fidelio X1
Hence choise is yours
Edited by Lumos - 8/12/13 at 10:27am
- Best open headphones for around $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 24 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 37 seconds ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 46 seconds ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 56 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica Announces SonicFuel Earbud/Canalphone Hybrids:... 57 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 3 minutes ago
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by kingpage
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)