- 140 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: Hendersonville,TN
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headset 70% Gaming+30% Music! Last post on 7/27/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80 over ATH-M50? Last post on 6/22/14 at 12:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me buy headphone. Is ATH m50 overrated? Last post on 5/26/14 at 4:01pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- sennheiser hd 558 or momentum on ear or ath m50 for the same price? Last post on 1/8/14 at 10:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for suggestions for an amp/dac Last post on 12/30/13 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Best open headphones for around $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hi. I have some m50's but I'd also like some headphones for the house. I listen to electronic/dance. I like bass but sound quality comes first. I'd like some that would be better than my m50s on clarity. I'd like to hear EVERYTHING in the song, nothing covered up. Please don't tell me to look at closed headphones or ones with a lot of bass. Oh, and I'd also like them to be comfy and over ear. Been thinking about some sennheisers. I could send them to someone I know to get modded and could make them even better! Need some opinions!
At your price range, IEMs would be the only real direction to get serious increases in overall quality/clarity.
Otherwise, maybe save up more and enter the $300-range tier headphones. Bigger jumps there.
For around 100$, you can buy HD518 and remove outer plastic grill, or modify it like 598. I have tried lots of modifications on my HD558. (HD518/558/598 uses same driver, only outer grills on cups are different) I have compared side by side and owning HD558 (fully removed grill) and HD598. they are very close sounding phones -like 95%. (you can spot noticable difference only in large symphony works and some classical music)
However I figured out that some kind of damping material on back of the driver is optimal for them. So 518's inside construction is very similar to 598 that's why I see more modding opportunity in 518 then in 558. No soldering required. but if you can it will be usefull in case if you break wires.
If you are not fancy to modding, you can buy Sony MDR MA900, owning these also. Sometimes I think they are class upper headphones over HD598. (more bass less grainy) on ebay they can be found for 140$. I should note here that I am not happy with MA900 soundstage It is kind of a fake. Senn's have better.
You can consider also: (I have not tried them, I can not comment on them, just giving you idea)
AKG K612 pro
Philips fidelio X1
Hence choise is yours
Edited by Lumos - 8/12/13 at 10:27am
- Best open headphones for around $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Multi-IEM Review - 321 IEMs compared (NarMoo S1 added 09/04/14 p. 966) 3 seconds ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 22 seconds ago
- › London Head-Fi Meet Up - Summer 2014 59 seconds ago
- › Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum hurts my ears? 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 4 minutes ago
- › New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival... 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)