- 140 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: Hendersonville,TN
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headset 70% Gaming+30% Music! Last post on 7/27/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- sennheiser hd 558 or momentum on ear or ath m50 for the same price? Last post on 1/8/14 at 10:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for suggestions for an amp/dac Last post on 12/30/13 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Audio Technica ATH - M50 vs Sennheiser HD558 Last post on 11/5/13 at 3:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 558 or Grado SR80i ? Last post on 11/2/13 at 9:07pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
There are many great headphones in this SUB-$150 category , I have a good amount of headphones in the range and have tried a good enough of them to know what to expect in this category The...
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
Best open headphones for around $100?post #1 of 68/6/13 at 4:16pmThread StarterHi. I have some m50's but I'd also like some headphones for the house. I listen to electronic/dance. I like bass but sound quality comes first. I'd like some that would be better than my m50s on clarity. I'd like to hear EVERYTHING in the song, nothing covered up. Please don't tell me to look at closed headphones or ones with a lot of bass. Oh, and I'd also like them to be comfy and over ear. Been thinking about some sennheisers. I could send them to someone I know to get modded and could make them even better! Need some opinions!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 68/6/13 at 5:52pmpost #3 of 68/6/13 at 5:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by coolkidsforlife
Hi. I have some m50's but I'd also like some headphones for the house. I listen to electronic/dance. I like bass but sound quality comes first. I'd like some that would be better than my m50s on clarity. I'd like to hear EVERYTHING in the song, nothing covered up. Please don't tell me to look at closed headphones or ones with a lot of bass. Oh, and I'd also like them to be comfy and over ear. Been thinking about some sennheisers. I could send them to someone I know to get modded and could make them even better! Need some opinions!
At your price range, IEMs would be the only real direction to get serious increases in overall quality/clarity.
Otherwise, maybe save up more and enter the $300-range tier headphones. Bigger jumps there.
Very best,post #4 of 68/6/13 at 6:02pmpost #5 of 68/6/13 at 6:39pmThread StarterQuote:post #6 of 68/12/13 at 10:06am
For around 100$, you can buy HD518 and remove outer plastic grill, or modify it like 598. I have tried lots of modifications on my HD558. (HD518/558/598 uses same driver, only outer grills on cups are different) I have compared side by side and owning HD558 (fully removed grill) and HD598. they are very close sounding phones -like 95%. (you can spot noticable difference only in large symphony works and some classical music)
However I figured out that some kind of damping material on back of the driver is optimal for them. So 518's inside construction is very similar to 598 that's why I see more modding opportunity in 518 then in 558. No soldering required. but if you can it will be usefull in case if you break wires.
If you are not fancy to modding, you can buy Sony MDR MA900, owning these also. Sometimes I think they are class upper headphones over HD598. (more bass less grainy) on ebay they can be found for 140$. I should note here that I am not happy with MA900 soundstage It is kind of a fake. Senn's have better.
You can consider also: (I have not tried them, I can not comment on them, just giving you idea)
AKG K612 pro
Philips fidelio X1
Hence choise is yours
Edited by Lumos - 8/12/13 at 10:27am
- Best open headphones for around $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Closed, Over ear, Great Isolation and Portability Sub $100 as gift,... 20 seconds ago
- › Dark Voice 339 33 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 1 minute ago
- › = HIFIMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread (pre-orders up!) = 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature... 2 minutes ago
- › Funny comments from the forums. 2 minutes ago
- › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude