Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best open headphones for around $100?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best open headphones for around $100?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hi. I have some m50's but I'd also like some headphones for the house. I listen to electronic/dance. I like bass but sound quality comes first. I'd like some that would be better than my m50s on clarity. I'd like to hear EVERYTHING in the song, nothing covered up. Please don't tell me to look at closed headphones or ones with a lot of bass. Oh, and I'd also like them to be comfy and over ear. Been thinking about some sennheisers. I could send them to someone I know to get modded and could make them even better! Need some opinions!
post #2 of 6
There are no upgrades to the m50 at $100. It depends on whether or not you can deal with that quiet airy bass you get from the sr80i, and hd558.
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidsforlife View Post

Hi. I have some m50's but I'd also like some headphones for the house. I listen to electronic/dance. I like bass but sound quality comes first. I'd like some that would be better than my m50s on clarity. I'd like to hear EVERYTHING in the song, nothing covered up. Please don't tell me to look at closed headphones or ones with a lot of bass. Oh, and I'd also like them to be comfy and over ear. Been thinking about some sennheisers. I could send them to someone I know to get modded and could make them even better! Need some opinions!

 

Heya,

 

At your price range, IEMs would be the only real direction to get serious increases in overall quality/clarity.


Otherwise, maybe save up more and enter the $300-range tier headphones. Bigger jumps there.

 

Very best,

post #4 of 6

Well if you want open headphones in that range you are talking about AD700/AD700X, or SR60/80i 

 

Based on comfort I would suggest AD700

post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post

Well if you want open headphones in that range you are talking about AD700/AD700X, or SR60/80i 

Based on comfort I would suggest AD700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

At your price range, IEMs would be the only real direction to get serious increases in overall quality/clarity.


Otherwise, maybe save up more and enter the $300-range tier headphones. Bigger jumps there.

Very best,
Are the sennheiser 598's a good choice?
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidsforlife View Post



Are the sennheiser 598's a good choice?


Hello

 

For around 100$, you can buy HD518 and remove outer plastic grill, or modify it like 598. I have tried lots of modifications on my HD558. (HD518/558/598 uses same driver, only outer grills on cups are different) I have compared side by side and owning HD558 (fully removed grill) and HD598. they are very close sounding phones -like 95%. (you can spot noticable difference only in large symphony works and some classical music)

 

However I figured out that some kind of damping material on back of the driver is optimal for them. So 518's inside construction is very similar to 598 that's why I see more modding opportunity in 518 then in 558. No soldering required. but if you can it will be usefull in case if you break wires.

 

see this: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609634/hd-518-teardown-with-a-shocking-twist

 

If you are not fancy to modding, you can buy Sony MDR MA900, owning these also. Sometimes I think they are class upper headphones over HD598. (more bass less grainy) on ebay they can be found for 140$. I should note here that I am not happy with MA900 soundstage It is kind of a fake. Senn's have better.

 

You can consider also:  (I have not tried them, I can not comment on them, just giving you idea)

 

AKG K612 pro

Philips fidelio X1

 

Hence choise is yours

cheers 

Lumos


Edited by Lumos - 8/12/13 at 10:27am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best open headphones for around $100?