- 140 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: Hendersonville,TN
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headset 70% Gaming+30% Music! Last post on 7/27/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80 over ATH-M50? Last post on 6/22/14 at 12:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me buy headphone. Is ATH m50 overrated? Last post on 5/26/14 at 4:01pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- sennheiser hd 558 or momentum on ear or ath m50 for the same price? Last post on 1/8/14 at 10:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for suggestions for an amp/dac Last post on 12/30/13 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
What's In The Box? The cardboard box itself is a cute little deal, with the Noble logo and the Wizard's signature. On the top left, the model and serial number are handwritten (apparently I'm the...
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Have been listening to my new iCAN Micro for couple weeks now. Before that I use the headphone output directly out of my iDSD Micro. First of all i just want to say that iDSD Micro is great....
Best open headphones for around $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hi. I have some m50's but I'd also like some headphones for the house. I listen to electronic/dance. I like bass but sound quality comes first. I'd like some that would be better than my m50s on clarity. I'd like to hear EVERYTHING in the song, nothing covered up. Please don't tell me to look at closed headphones or ones with a lot of bass. Oh, and I'd also like them to be comfy and over ear. Been thinking about some sennheisers. I could send them to someone I know to get modded and could make them even better! Need some opinions!
At your price range, IEMs would be the only real direction to get serious increases in overall quality/clarity.
Otherwise, maybe save up more and enter the $300-range tier headphones. Bigger jumps there.
For around 100$, you can buy HD518 and remove outer plastic grill, or modify it like 598. I have tried lots of modifications on my HD558. (HD518/558/598 uses same driver, only outer grills on cups are different) I have compared side by side and owning HD558 (fully removed grill) and HD598. they are very close sounding phones -like 95%. (you can spot noticable difference only in large symphony works and some classical music)
However I figured out that some kind of damping material on back of the driver is optimal for them. So 518's inside construction is very similar to 598 that's why I see more modding opportunity in 518 then in 558. No soldering required. but if you can it will be usefull in case if you break wires.
If you are not fancy to modding, you can buy Sony MDR MA900, owning these also. Sometimes I think they are class upper headphones over HD598. (more bass less grainy) on ebay they can be found for 140$. I should note here that I am not happy with MA900 soundstage It is kind of a fake. Senn's have better.
You can consider also: (I have not tried them, I can not comment on them, just giving you idea)
AKG K612 pro
Philips fidelio X1
Hence choise is yours
Edited by Lumos - 8/12/13 at 10:27am
- Best open headphones for around $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FS/FT Sennheiser HD25-I-II Adidas (Canada) 18 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 2 minutes ago
- › I lost my SE535s... 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for noise isolating/cancelling IEMs for work 5 minutes ago
- › Need help in buying new headphone 6 minutes ago
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by De1taE1even
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2