or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp - Page 46

post #676 of 688

Well, I finally had an opportunity to take the plunge and acquire a second 800r for the full dual mono setup. In fairness, I didn't honestly expect a remarkable difference. But given my love for the this amp, I felt that I had to have the opportunity to try it out. These are my very brief observation after spending a week with the dual setup...

 

*imaging and separation are notably improved, which I wasn't expecting.

 

*sub bass slams better.

 

*mids are more fleshed out and natural. 

 

*can now drive orthos to their true potential. 

 

*I expected "too much" and difficult to control volume. Not at all. I still have plenty of play with the pot. 

 

After using the dual mono setup for a week. It would be very difficult to go back. I just love the sound I'm getting from this setup. Before taking the plunge, I thought it was a little gimmicky and I was irritated with Questyle for not making this a balanced amp from the beginning. But now that I've experienced the effect of the design, I can truly appreciate their effort. Oh, and the bling factor ain't bad either. :biggrin:

post #677 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Well, I finally had an opportunity to take the plunge and acquire a second 800r for the full dual mono setup. In fairness, I didn't honestly expect a remarkable difference. But given my love for the this amp, I felt that I had to have the opportunity to try it out. These are my very brief observation after spending a week with the dual setup...

 

*imaging and separation are notably improved, which I wasn't expecting.

 

*sub bass slams better.

 

*mids are more fleshed out and natural. 

 

*can now drive orthos to their true potential. 

 

*I expected "too much" and difficult to control volume. Not at all. I still have plenty of play with the pot. 

 

After using the dual mono setup for a week. It would be very difficult to go back. I just love the sound I'm getting from this setup. Before taking the plunge, I thought it was a little gimmicky and I was irritated with Questyle for not making this a balanced amp from the beginning. But now that I've experienced the effect of the design, I can truly appreciate their effort. Oh, and the bling factor ain't bad either. :biggrin:


Good thing you kept the original one.  Can't remember, are you driving them with the CAS192?

post #678 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by UELong View Post
 


Good thing you kept the original one.  Can't remember, are you driving them with the CAS192?

 

Just sold my dac-19 and trying to work out the money for an yggy but may have to settle for the Gumby. :o

post #679 of 688

I picked up the new HD800S to try out about a week ago and dug my CMA800R out of the closet. This just may be a very very good match and I certainly feel it is better than my experience with the old HD800.

 

Seeing as the HD800S comes with a balanced cable I was looking to try it out, maybe on something like the Mjolnir 2. Have any Questyle owners tried the M2? Is it worth the time?

post #680 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun View Post
 

I picked up the new HD800S to try out about a week ago and dug my CMA800R out of the closet. This just may be a very very good match and I certainly feel it is better than my experience with the old HD800.

 

Seeing as the HD800S comes with a balanced cable I was looking to try it out, maybe on something like the Mjolnir 2. Have any Questyle owners tried the M2? Is it worth the time?

 

I have both amps...actually I have a pair of cma's and I'm using the mjo2 as a pre-amp. The dual cma's are for the full mono balanced. I wouldn't hesitate to say that it's the best setup that I've owned with the hd800s. 

post #681 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

I have both amps...actually I have a pair of cma's and I'm using the mjo2 as a pre-amp. The dual cma's are for the full mono balanced. I wouldn't hesitate to say that it's the best setup that I've owned with the hd800s. 


Thanks for the reply. How do you feel about the MJ2 balanced vs the CMA single ended?

post #682 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun View Post
 


Thanks for the reply. How do you feel about the MJ2 balanced vs the CMA single ended?

 

Well, even with very nice NOS tubes the dual cma setup outshines the mjo2 when using the hd800/s. The single cma against the mjo2 would be an interesting fight. Honestly, I have used a single cma in quite a while nor compared a single against the schiit amp. But I'll put it to the test and let you know. 

post #683 of 688

will it drive the he6?

post #684 of 688

^^ Some of the reviews say that it will but I can't verify it. Haven't tried it myself. 

post #685 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillzone21 View Post

will it drive the he6?

Yes. Love my HE6 with my CMA800R monoblocks. Revogamer also used the 6 with his, and Hansotek was blown away by the pairing.
post #686 of 688
Me too!
post #687 of 688

The dual mono Questyle stack is something special. When you've been in the hobby for a good while and owned lot's of gear, you tend to look for certain qualities between your favorite headphone and amp..."synergy" if you will. I've owned and reviewed lot's of amps but few have impressed me like the Questyle stack. It does so many things right. But it's real trick is how well it does those things with such a diversity of headphones.

 

Take hd800 and any planar magnetic headphone. Then try to find an amp that supports them both equally well. It's not an easy task. And it will usually be about compromises. I don't feel that I've compromised anything with the QS stack using either of those headphones.  

 

People often ask me why I like the QS stack so much and what it really offers over just a single cma800r. It comes down to two things. First is speaker-like imaging. That's probably the first thing that struck me when I went to two amps. And secondly, it's the tonality. I rarely hear this kind of beautifully rendered tone in a solid state amp. The tone of the mids sounds much more like a good tube amp than a solid state amp.  

 

If anyone wants to hear the QS stack, I'll be at the Atlanta meet with them a week from today.

post #688 of 688
Agree. I don't currently own an HD800, but did not long ago, and loved the pairing. In fact I've loved every headphone I've head from them. HE6, Ether and Ether C, LCD-4, ZMF gear, MHP1000, everything.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp