Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp - Page 41

post #601 of 614

Agreed. ATM there are 4 really good amps in (almost) the same price category. Hopefully, somebody would do a shootout: Schist Ragnarok, Auralic Taurus mike, Audio-gd Master 9 & Questyle CMA800. It seems John has heard most of these...

post #602 of 614
I'd love to but I'm soooooo backed up on stuff right now. Have gear coming out of my ears, and I hate making a manufacturer or PR person wait too long for my review to post or even for my email declining the review..... Sometimes it takes me over a month to even find time to listen, only to discover I dislike the thing and won't bother with coverage. Then I take a week or longer to find time to mail it back. Then I feel like a jerk.
post #603 of 614
No wonder many manufacturers trust you to review their products, you're doing a good job. I still think that it will be a great project to do a shootout of the 4 amps I mentioned. Many threads I have read are sort of asking how is this compared to this and these 4 amps are always being mentioned but I assume not many ppeople will have the chance to hear them. You are probably one of the few... 😉
post #604 of 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeap69 View Post
 

Agreed. ATM there are 4 really good amps in (almost) the same price category. Hopefully, somebody would do a shootout: Schist Ragnarok, Auralic Taurus mike, Audio-gd Master 9 & Questyle CMA800. It seems John has heard most of these...

 

For me Bakoon HPA-01 is far superior to Questyle CMA800R. I liked listening to CMA800R+HD800 but when i bought Bakoon i was completely blown away. So there are other amps there that worth of consideration too. :bigsmile_face:

post #605 of 614
I've heard good things about the Bakoon. If John can include it in his shootout, I have no objection. 😃
post #606 of 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeap69 View Post

I've heard good things about the Bakoon. If John can include it in his shootout, I have no objection. 😃

 

 

I was not blown away by the more expensive Bakoon, but there's always a chance I'd like the subsequent model. It's not unheard of for more expensive older models to be surpassed by the cheaper next-gen model.

 

That said, I seriously doubt I'll be attacking this amp shootout anytime soon. Sounds fun, but I've got so much on my plate right now that I don't think I can take anything new on for a while.

post #607 of 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post


I was not blown away by the more expensive Bakoon, but there's always a chance I'd like the subsequent model. It's not unheard of for more expensive older models to be surpassed by the cheaper next-gen model.

That said, I seriously doubt I'll be attacking this amp shootout anytime soon. Sounds fun, but I've got so much on my plate right now that I don't think I can take anything new on for a while.

No pressure John, we can wait. 😉
post #608 of 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdmortal View Post
 

 

For me Bakoon HPA-01 is far superior to Questyle CMA800R. I liked listening to CMA800R+HD800 but when i bought Bakoon i was completely blown away. So there are other amps there that worth of consideration too. :bigsmile_face:

 

 

I purchased the HPA-01 last August and I have been completely thrilled by it since then. It is in a class to itself and it sounds nothing like the CMA800R despite the current gain in the Questyle. 

 

The thing I find about the Bakoon current output is that it is pointless to use it with any dynamic phones as it changes the sound too much. I didn't like the HD800 through the Bakoon at all. 

 

However with planars such as LCD-X it is astonishing, near perfect top to bottom control and realism. If you are doing comparisons then the Bakoon will certainly give you something different and may make the other amps sound the same. After my time with the Bakoon I am finding that the conventional SS amps I have used have a grainy signature that I can now detect almost immediately.

post #609 of 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun View Post
 

 

 

I purchased the HPA-01 last August and I have been completely thrilled by it since then. It is in a class to itself and it sounds nothing like the CMA800R despite the current gain in the Questyle. 

 

The thing I find about the Bakoon current output is that it is pointless to use it with any dynamic phones as it changes the sound too much. I didn't like the HD800 through the Bakoon at all. 

 

However with planars such as LCD-X it is astonishing, near perfect top to bottom control and realism. If you are doing comparisons then the Bakoon will certainly give you something different and may make the other amps sound the same. After my time with the Bakoon I am finding that the conventional SS amps I have used have a grainy signature that I can now detect almost immediately.

 

Thank you. I agree with you that HPA-01 is unique product. Of course we all have different ears but i liked HD800 through current output very much. I absolutely agree that in this case HD800 becomes completely different headphone. It sounds smooth, even warm, very musical, with great amount of bass and it still sounds very detailed and clear. And that what I liked very much. I prefer to listen to HD800 this way. While other amps don`t provide me with such joy.    


Edited by 3rdmortal - 11/12/14 at 2:03am
post #610 of 614

Just picked up my second CMA800r and getting ready for some dual mono action. Only problem is that my headphones terminate in a single 4-pin XLR connector.  Does anyone know where I can pick up a reasonable 4-pin -> dual 3-pin adapter to make the whole thing go? 

post #611 of 614
I got mine from CablePro, but I'm sure any self-respecting cable maker can also whip one up for you. It's not really the sort of thing that will be on their menu but give them an email and I'm sure most would be willing to help.
post #612 of 614

I had mine built by Ted Allen at headphonelounge, Head-Fi member "teds headfood".

post #613 of 614

Hello

How do you use only one CMA800R with the balanced output (I believe 3 pin XLR) ?

Normally balanced cables terminate in 4 pin XLR , at least for those I saw regarding the HD 800

Sorry if this question has alreafy been posted

Thanks

post #614 of 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by maro73 View Post
 

Hello

How do you use only one CMA800R with the balanced output (I believe 3 pin XLR) ?

Normally balanced cables terminate in 4 pin XLR , at least for those I saw regarding the HD 800

Sorry if this question has alreafy been posted

Thanks

 

 

A CMA800R can only run single ended mode. The XLR is for pairing with another CMA800R - each unit can run one side of a headphone in balanced mode. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp