Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp - Page 27

post #391 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

Dang, tough question! If I say my Stax Omega II is perfection, then I'd arbitrarily call HD800 on the CMA800R a 95/100. Taurus makes it a solid 90. LCD-XC on the Taurus is also a 95, and on the CMA800R it is a 90. 

 

Of course these numbers are silly, because it really depends on a number of factors. For classical, I tend to choose the HD800 every time. For electronic music, the LCD-XC is a better choice. Poor recordings do better with the Audeze. Etc, etc. Plus there's the matter of source matching, which brings a whole new set of variables. 

I wonder if you are comparing the SE to SE between the amps and headphones? If you were to do this comparison fully balanced (requiring 2 CMA800r) would your numbers change? I suspect they might.

post #392 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post
 

I wonder if you are comparing the SE to SE between the amps and headphones? If you were to do this comparison fully balanced (requiring 2 CMA800r) would your numbers change? I suspect they might.

Good question -- I believe project86 was commenting on the CMA800R used SE (i.e. one amp) since at the time of his original review of the CM800 (not R), he did not have 2 of them.   I am using just one Questyle with my HD800 and the SE sound quality is simply incredible.  I have used my HD800 balanced with other amps, including the MkI version of the GS-X as well as the direct balanced output from my Invicta DAC, and I can unequivocally say that the SE CMA800R is better than either one.  So to put this in perspective, I would say that the HD800 with 2 CMA800R would probably result in marginally better SQ improvement, considering that the SE is probably already about 95/100.   I might add that usually the situation is not so much that balanced is "better" but often just different - some may like this difference, others may not.   Having used various headphones in both balanced and SE configurations over the years, I must say that SE done "right" can sound at least as good as if not better than balanced.   Relative to the Taurus MkII vs CMA800R, I do not have the Auralic, but I believe project86 did mention that with the HD800, the balanced output from the Taurus sounded very similar to the SE Questyle.   I would imagine though the using 2 CMA800R with the LCD-XC would pretty much equal things out.  

post #393 of 596

love the idea of getting an amp specifically designed for the hd800.

 

has anyone heard both Questyle and  a Sennheiser HDVA 600 ?  they are priced the same and both designed with the hd800 in mind..

post #394 of 596

After a lot of hassle, I received a new CMA800R. There's still minor humming/buzzing that comes and goes. Atleast it's not the more highpitched BZZZZZZZZZ - I hope it stays this way..

post #395 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by eantala View Post
 

love the idea of getting an amp specifically designed for the hd800.

 

has anyone heard both Questyle and  a Sennheiser HDVA 600 ?  they are priced the same and both designed with the hd800 in mind..

After several comments on this and many other forums (also from people who has heard both), i've to think that Questyle has done a better job in the creation of a very specific amp for the HD800. IMHO.

post #396 of 596

I recently had the chance to try this amp with the HD800 and the NAD M51 and i was truly impressed by the overall dynamics and especially by the effortless treble reproduction/extension but i still find the HD800 a bit too cold for my taste on this setup. Has anyone spent enough time with the CMA800r comparing the HD800 to any Hifiman Planar magnetic headphone to tell if this amp is versatile enough to perform almost as well with these?

post #397 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoD6 View Post
 

I recently had the chance to try this amp with the HD800 and the NAD M51 and i was truly impressed by the overall dynamics and especially by the effortless treble reproduction/extension but i still find the HD800 a bit too cold for my taste on this setup. Has anyone spent enough time with the CMA800r comparing the HD800 to any Hifiman Planar magnetic headphone to tell if this amp is versatile enough to perform almost as well with these?

 

 

I have the HE-500 and they sound about as good as they can get on this setup. In fact I prefer them over the LCD-X on this amp as the Audeze is too sensitive for the CMA800R, and it's difficult to get the volume right.

 

To some extent I would say this amp is overkill for the HE-500 though, and those phones will never match its abilities. In my opinion it might be better served by LCD-2 or 3.

post #398 of 596
That's very good to know. I'm actually looking foward to pair this amp with the upcoming HE560
post #399 of 596
What about the synergy with the HE500 and CMA800r? I tried it once, but it was brief and the source was an iphone. From what i remember, it sounded bright. Maybe because it brought out the 10khz spike on the 500?
post #400 of 596
Just compared the CMA800R next to a SPL Phonitor, with a AudioGd REF5.32 DAC, and a pair of HD800. To my ears, the SPL is a better amp for this setup.
post #401 of 596

The setup
post #402 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoD6 View Post

What about the synergy with the HE500 and CMA800r? I tried it once, but it was brief and the source was an iphone. From what i remember, it sounded bright. Maybe because it brought out the 10khz spike on the 500?

 

I like the combo, but as you say, can be a little bright at times. That's just the HE-500 in general, no fault of the CMA800R. I'd say it's very enjoyable 90% of the time, and kind of annoying the remaining 10%. I might actually prefer the HE-400 with this particular amp, though with my Taurus mkII I prefer HE-500. Music choice plays a big role as well. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeissiez View Post

Just compared the CMA800R next to a SPL Phonitor, with a AudioGd REF5.32 DAC, and a pair of HD800. To my ears, the SPL is a better amp for this setup.

 

Interesting - I personally disliked the Phonitor and sold mine long ago. Are you using the various sound controls to contribute to the end result? I did like messing with those, but felt the amp itself was nowhere near as good as it should have been for the price. 

post #403 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

I like the combo, but as you say, can be a little bright at times. That's just the HE-500 in general, no fault of the CMA800R. I'd say it's very enjoyable 90% of the time, and kind of annoying the remaining 10%. I might actually prefer the HE-400 with this particular amp, though with my Taurus mkII I prefer HE-500. Music choice plays a big role as well. 

 

 

 

Interesting - I personally disliked the Phonitor and sold mine long ago. Are you using the various sound controls to contribute to the end result? I did like messing with those, but felt the amp itself was nowhere near as good as it should have been for the price. 

 

I was also surprise, because I expected the CMA800R, being specially designed for HD800 should be better. I found the Phonitor to have more air between the instruments, and sounded more articulated. Tonal balance, no big difference between the two. I have hoped that CMA800R to give a fuller, thicker tone to HD800, but not quite. Interestingly, the Questyle Q192 was pretty balance sounding than the other two amps, less bright, fuller, more weighty in the bottom relative to the top, although technically it's no where near the other two amps.

post #404 of 596
Maybe that dac has better synergy with Phonitor? Someone somewhere said that Audio Gd stuff makes HD800 sound more sterile than these cans should.
post #405 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priidik View Post

Maybe that dac has better synergy with Phonitor? Someone somewhere said that Audio Gd stuff makes HD800 sound more sterile than these cans should.

It sounds to me very much like a dac-amp synergy issue -- a number of users have commented on the excellent synergy of the CMA800R with a variety dacs other than the AudioGd.  I'm sure this is true to large degree with almost any dac-amp combo, and you also need to factor in personal preferences as well.   This is one advantage of using an external dac with an amp - you can experiment with what sounds best to your ears.   A "high transparency" amp such as the CMA800R has a particular advantage in this respect since it makes it a little easier to compare the SQ of different dacs.   

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp