Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp - Page 27

post #391 of 618

love the idea of getting an amp specifically designed for the hd800.

 

has anyone heard both Questyle and  a Sennheiser HDVA 600 ?  they are priced the same and both designed with the hd800 in mind..

post #392 of 618

After a lot of hassle, I received a new CMA800R. There's still minor humming/buzzing that comes and goes. Atleast it's not the more highpitched BZZZZZZZZZ - I hope it stays this way..

post #393 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by eantala View Post
 

love the idea of getting an amp specifically designed for the hd800.

 

has anyone heard both Questyle and  a Sennheiser HDVA 600 ?  they are priced the same and both designed with the hd800 in mind..

After several comments on this and many other forums (also from people who has heard both), i've to think that Questyle has done a better job in the creation of a very specific amp for the HD800. IMHO.

post #394 of 618

I recently had the chance to try this amp with the HD800 and the NAD M51 and i was truly impressed by the overall dynamics and especially by the effortless treble reproduction/extension but i still find the HD800 a bit too cold for my taste on this setup. Has anyone spent enough time with the CMA800r comparing the HD800 to any Hifiman Planar magnetic headphone to tell if this amp is versatile enough to perform almost as well with these?

post #395 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoD6 View Post
 

I recently had the chance to try this amp with the HD800 and the NAD M51 and i was truly impressed by the overall dynamics and especially by the effortless treble reproduction/extension but i still find the HD800 a bit too cold for my taste on this setup. Has anyone spent enough time with the CMA800r comparing the HD800 to any Hifiman Planar magnetic headphone to tell if this amp is versatile enough to perform almost as well with these?

 

 

I have the HE-500 and they sound about as good as they can get on this setup. In fact I prefer them over the LCD-X on this amp as the Audeze is too sensitive for the CMA800R, and it's difficult to get the volume right.

 

To some extent I would say this amp is overkill for the HE-500 though, and those phones will never match its abilities. In my opinion it might be better served by LCD-2 or 3.

post #396 of 618
That's very good to know. I'm actually looking foward to pair this amp with the upcoming HE560
post #397 of 618
What about the synergy with the HE500 and CMA800r? I tried it once, but it was brief and the source was an iphone. From what i remember, it sounded bright. Maybe because it brought out the 10khz spike on the 500?
post #398 of 618
Just compared the CMA800R next to a SPL Phonitor, with a AudioGd REF5.32 DAC, and a pair of HD800. To my ears, the SPL is a better amp for this setup.
post #399 of 618

The setup
post #400 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoD6 View Post

What about the synergy with the HE500 and CMA800r? I tried it once, but it was brief and the source was an iphone. From what i remember, it sounded bright. Maybe because it brought out the 10khz spike on the 500?

 

I like the combo, but as you say, can be a little bright at times. That's just the HE-500 in general, no fault of the CMA800R. I'd say it's very enjoyable 90% of the time, and kind of annoying the remaining 10%. I might actually prefer the HE-400 with this particular amp, though with my Taurus mkII I prefer HE-500. Music choice plays a big role as well. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeissiez View Post

Just compared the CMA800R next to a SPL Phonitor, with a AudioGd REF5.32 DAC, and a pair of HD800. To my ears, the SPL is a better amp for this setup.

 

Interesting - I personally disliked the Phonitor and sold mine long ago. Are you using the various sound controls to contribute to the end result? I did like messing with those, but felt the amp itself was nowhere near as good as it should have been for the price. 

post #401 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

I like the combo, but as you say, can be a little bright at times. That's just the HE-500 in general, no fault of the CMA800R. I'd say it's very enjoyable 90% of the time, and kind of annoying the remaining 10%. I might actually prefer the HE-400 with this particular amp, though with my Taurus mkII I prefer HE-500. Music choice plays a big role as well. 

 

 

 

Interesting - I personally disliked the Phonitor and sold mine long ago. Are you using the various sound controls to contribute to the end result? I did like messing with those, but felt the amp itself was nowhere near as good as it should have been for the price. 

 

I was also surprise, because I expected the CMA800R, being specially designed for HD800 should be better. I found the Phonitor to have more air between the instruments, and sounded more articulated. Tonal balance, no big difference between the two. I have hoped that CMA800R to give a fuller, thicker tone to HD800, but not quite. Interestingly, the Questyle Q192 was pretty balance sounding than the other two amps, less bright, fuller, more weighty in the bottom relative to the top, although technically it's no where near the other two amps.

post #402 of 618
Maybe that dac has better synergy with Phonitor? Someone somewhere said that Audio Gd stuff makes HD800 sound more sterile than these cans should.
post #403 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priidik View Post

Maybe that dac has better synergy with Phonitor? Someone somewhere said that Audio Gd stuff makes HD800 sound more sterile than these cans should.

It sounds to me very much like a dac-amp synergy issue -- a number of users have commented on the excellent synergy of the CMA800R with a variety dacs other than the AudioGd.  I'm sure this is true to large degree with almost any dac-amp combo, and you also need to factor in personal preferences as well.   This is one advantage of using an external dac with an amp - you can experiment with what sounds best to your ears.   A "high transparency" amp such as the CMA800R has a particular advantage in this respect since it makes it a little easier to compare the SQ of different dacs.   

post #404 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post
 

It sounds to me very much like a dac-amp synergy issue -- a number of users have commented on the excellent synergy of the CMA800R with a variety dacs other than the AudioGd.  I'm sure this is true to large degree with almost any dac-amp combo, and you also need to factor in personal preferences as well.   This is one advantage of using an external dac with an amp - you can experiment with what sounds best to your ears.   A "high transparency" amp such as the CMA800R has a particular advantage in this respect since it makes it a little easier to compare the SQ of different dacs.   

No idea, because I have only one DAC here.

post #405 of 618

This is really really nice, SE846+CMA800R.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp