- 123 Posts. Joined 1/2002
- Location: Leelanau, Mi
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Who has an end game setup? Last post on 4/3/14 at 11:13pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Denon AH-D7000 , Fostex TH900, Senn HD800, or Audeze LCD 2 or 3 for gaming? Last post on 4/10/13 at 12:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- 2k budget Last post on 11/19/12 at 11:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD800 Pros vs Cons Last post on 8/21/12 at 1:03pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next? Last post on 1/12/13 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp - Page 26post #376 of 5713/24/14 at 6:35pmJohn, did you ever get to trying the Auralic Vega Dac with Questyle CMA800?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #377 of 5713/25/14 at 6:26amQuote:
No, most of my time with Vega has not been in my own system. I had one come through briefly but only had time to use it with the matching Taurus amp. I see no reason why it wouldn't make a great combo though - I go the other direction and use Questyle's CAS192 with the Taurus all the time, with excellent results.post #378 of 5713/25/14 at 6:45amQuote:Originally Posted by project86
No, most of my time with Vega has not been in my own system. I had one come through briefly but only had time to use it with the matching Taurus amp. I see no reason why it wouldn't make a great combo though - I go the other direction and use Questyle's CAS192 with the Taurus all the time, with excellent results.
Makes sense, the Vega would probably work fine with the CMA800. The CAS192 is likely voiced similar to the the Vega (not too tipped up) or it wouldn't work so well with the sometimes aggressive HD800s.post #379 of 5713/25/14 at 7:12amQuote:
Yep, CAS192 is very similar. Wish I had the Vega here longer for direct comparisons.post #380 of 5713/25/14 at 2:49pmpost #381 of 5713/25/14 at 2:51pmQuote:
CAS192 is the DAC, and CMA800R is the amp, both from Questyle. Not sure what comparisons could be done. Did you mean Taurus versus CMA800R?post #382 of 5713/25/14 at 2:54pmQuote:
Been gone for the last week and a half and my brain goes to mush. I mean the CMA800R vs the Q192.post #383 of 5713/26/14 at 11:21amQuote:
I sent you a PM regarding this question.. It would be fun if you shared in depth thoughts either by private or public message.
If not, I'll have to buy two CMA800R's AND a Taurus MKIIpost #384 of 5713/26/14 at 11:47ampost #385 of 5714/1/14 at 7:09pm
I've been reading up on the CMA800R to pair with my LCD-X and soon to arrive Chord Hugo.
I recently demo'd the GSX-MkII and Senn HDVA600 at the SoCal meet, and the Auralic Taurus MkII at Stereo Unlimited here in San Diego.
At $1,500, the CMA800R and the Senn amp are the cheapest of the bunch. The Master 9 is in that $ ballpark as well.
With my LCD-X the GSX sounded amazing, very full, and is just a beauty. It's very expensive, and the wait is just too long. The Taurus had massive balls, bass galore, and very musical.
I currently have the Senn amp at home, and it sounds quite good, musical, has great synergy with the LCD-X and of course Senn's HD800, but the Taurus has considerably more power and is able to punch with greater bass impact at equal volume. The bass is very strong, hits hard, hits fast and then fades instantly. It's worth the $500 premium to me, and so the Senn is likely going back.
I only listened to the Taurus in balanced mode, and regret not switching over to SE given what I've read about that output's distinct character.
I've been chatting with Mr. Alden Zhao of Questyle and he informed me today that the company will be exhibiting at the upcoming T.H.E. Show next month in Irvine, CA.
Hopefully the CMA800R will have that musical essence / character I'm looking for, with decent power. As Project86 cited in his review, one can always add another unit for greater dynamics. I'm really hoping Questyle will have that mono-balanced setup at THE Show.
Ah, such problems to ponder. Buy a single CMA800R now, and perhaps scale up in the future. Or pay a bit more for the Taurus...post #386 of 5714/2/14 at 10:39am
Yes, it's a tough choice..... just yesterday I was using the Hugo alternating between Taurus mkII and CMA800R, driving LCD-XC, TH900, HD800, Alpha Dogs.... wow, both amps are extremely impressive. Honestly I think it's a win for the buyer no matter which way they go.post #387 of 5714/2/14 at 12:10pmpost #388 of 5714/2/14 at 2:59pmQuote:
I suppose it depends on which headphone ends up being your favorite. If it's HD800 then I'd go CMA800R. If it's the Audeze, stick with Taurus. Not that each one will still perform at a very high level at all times..... So Questyle still does Audeze very well, and AURALiC still does marvelous with HD800.post #389 of 5714/2/14 at 5:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by project86
I suppose it depends on which headphone ends up being your favorite. If it's HD800 then I'd go CMA800R. If it's the Audeze, stick with Taurus. Not that each one will still perform at a very high level at all times..... So Questyle still does Audeze very well, and AURALiC still does marvelous with HD800.
The question is: in a score from 0 to 100...with Audezes, how much is better the Taurus than the CMA800R? With HD800, how much is better the CMA800R than the Taurus? That's the point if you have both Audezes and Senn.
Edited by kaesar94 - 4/2/14 at 5:52pmpost #390 of 5714/2/14 at 5:57pm
Dang, tough question! If I say my Stax Omega II is perfection, then I'd arbitrarily call HD800 on the CMA800R a 95/100. Taurus makes it a solid 90. LCD-XC on the Taurus is also a 95, and on the CMA800R it is a 90.
Of course these numbers are silly, because it really depends on a number of factors. For classical, I tend to choose the HD800 every time. For electronic music, the LCD-XC is a better choice. Poor recordings do better with the Audeze. Etc, etc. Plus there's the matter of source matching, which brings a whole new set of variables.
- Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 19 seconds ago
- › Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900? 35 seconds ago
- › Ghentaudio Cables - Impressions & Opinions. (First impressions &... 40 seconds ago
- › [For Sale] iFi Aduio Nano iDSD 56 seconds ago
- › Am I Deaf or what? Comparing 192000hz vs 96000hz vs 48000 .... no... 1 minute ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 1 minute ago
- › Looking for full sized headphones 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 4 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)