- 123 Posts. Joined 1/2002
- Location: Leelanau, Mi
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Who has an end game setup? Last post on 4/3/14 at 11:13pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Denon AH-D7000 , Fostex TH900, Senn HD800, or Audeze LCD 2 or 3 for gaming? Last post on 4/10/13 at 12:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- 2k budget Last post on 11/19/12 at 11:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD800 Pros vs Cons Last post on 8/21/12 at 1:03pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next? Last post on 1/12/13 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp - Page 26post #376 of 5863/24/14 at 6:35pmJohn, did you ever get to trying the Auralic Vega Dac with Questyle CMA800?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #377 of 5863/25/14 at 6:26amQuote:
No, most of my time with Vega has not been in my own system. I had one come through briefly but only had time to use it with the matching Taurus amp. I see no reason why it wouldn't make a great combo though - I go the other direction and use Questyle's CAS192 with the Taurus all the time, with excellent results.post #378 of 5863/25/14 at 6:45amQuote:Originally Posted by project86
No, most of my time with Vega has not been in my own system. I had one come through briefly but only had time to use it with the matching Taurus amp. I see no reason why it wouldn't make a great combo though - I go the other direction and use Questyle's CAS192 with the Taurus all the time, with excellent results.
Makes sense, the Vega would probably work fine with the CMA800. The CAS192 is likely voiced similar to the the Vega (not too tipped up) or it wouldn't work so well with the sometimes aggressive HD800s.post #379 of 5863/25/14 at 7:12amQuote:
Yep, CAS192 is very similar. Wish I had the Vega here longer for direct comparisons.post #380 of 5863/25/14 at 2:49pmpost #381 of 5863/25/14 at 2:51pmQuote:
CAS192 is the DAC, and CMA800R is the amp, both from Questyle. Not sure what comparisons could be done. Did you mean Taurus versus CMA800R?post #382 of 5863/25/14 at 2:54pmQuote:
Been gone for the last week and a half and my brain goes to mush. I mean the CMA800R vs the Q192.post #383 of 5863/26/14 at 11:21amQuote:
I sent you a PM regarding this question.. It would be fun if you shared in depth thoughts either by private or public message.
If not, I'll have to buy two CMA800R's AND a Taurus MKIIpost #384 of 5863/26/14 at 11:47ampost #385 of 5864/1/14 at 7:09pm
I've been reading up on the CMA800R to pair with my LCD-X and soon to arrive Chord Hugo.
I recently demo'd the GSX-MkII and Senn HDVA600 at the SoCal meet, and the Auralic Taurus MkII at Stereo Unlimited here in San Diego.
At $1,500, the CMA800R and the Senn amp are the cheapest of the bunch. The Master 9 is in that $ ballpark as well.
With my LCD-X the GSX sounded amazing, very full, and is just a beauty. It's very expensive, and the wait is just too long. The Taurus had massive balls, bass galore, and very musical.
I currently have the Senn amp at home, and it sounds quite good, musical, has great synergy with the LCD-X and of course Senn's HD800, but the Taurus has considerably more power and is able to punch with greater bass impact at equal volume. The bass is very strong, hits hard, hits fast and then fades instantly. It's worth the $500 premium to me, and so the Senn is likely going back.
I only listened to the Taurus in balanced mode, and regret not switching over to SE given what I've read about that output's distinct character.
I've been chatting with Mr. Alden Zhao of Questyle and he informed me today that the company will be exhibiting at the upcoming T.H.E. Show next month in Irvine, CA.
Hopefully the CMA800R will have that musical essence / character I'm looking for, with decent power. As Project86 cited in his review, one can always add another unit for greater dynamics. I'm really hoping Questyle will have that mono-balanced setup at THE Show.
Ah, such problems to ponder. Buy a single CMA800R now, and perhaps scale up in the future. Or pay a bit more for the Taurus...post #386 of 5864/2/14 at 10:39am
Yes, it's a tough choice..... just yesterday I was using the Hugo alternating between Taurus mkII and CMA800R, driving LCD-XC, TH900, HD800, Alpha Dogs.... wow, both amps are extremely impressive. Honestly I think it's a win for the buyer no matter which way they go.post #387 of 5864/2/14 at 12:10pmpost #388 of 5864/2/14 at 2:59pmQuote:
I suppose it depends on which headphone ends up being your favorite. If it's HD800 then I'd go CMA800R. If it's the Audeze, stick with Taurus. Not that each one will still perform at a very high level at all times..... So Questyle still does Audeze very well, and AURALiC still does marvelous with HD800.post #389 of 5864/2/14 at 5:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by project86
I suppose it depends on which headphone ends up being your favorite. If it's HD800 then I'd go CMA800R. If it's the Audeze, stick with Taurus. Not that each one will still perform at a very high level at all times..... So Questyle still does Audeze very well, and AURALiC still does marvelous with HD800.
The question is: in a score from 0 to 100...with Audezes, how much is better the Taurus than the CMA800R? With HD800, how much is better the CMA800R than the Taurus? That's the point if you have both Audezes and Senn.
Edited by kaesar94 - 4/2/14 at 5:52pmpost #390 of 5864/2/14 at 5:57pm
Dang, tough question! If I say my Stax Omega II is perfection, then I'd arbitrarily call HD800 on the CMA800R a 95/100. Taurus makes it a solid 90. LCD-XC on the Taurus is also a 95, and on the CMA800R it is a 90.
Of course these numbers are silly, because it really depends on a number of factors. For classical, I tend to choose the HD800 every time. For electronic music, the LCD-XC is a better choice. Poor recordings do better with the Audeze. Etc, etc. Plus there's the matter of source matching, which brings a whole new set of variables.
- Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 6 seconds ago
- › WTB: Sony XB-1000 [NA] 1 minute ago
- › ASTRO MIXAMP PRO 2011 version 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Brand new BLOX BE5, will ship worldwide 3 minutes ago
- › Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW FW. . link 1st page. . 4 minutes ago
- › Good portable DAP with FM tuner 4 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qped Thread 5 minutes ago
- › A portable headphone amp with 1/4" jack? 5 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)