Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Who has an end game setup? Last post on 4/17/15 at 4:47am in High-end Audio Forum
- Denon AH-D7000 , Fostex TH900, Senn HD800, or Audeze LCD 2 or 3 for gaming? Last post on 10/11/14 at 11:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- 2k budget Last post on 11/19/12 at 11:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD800 Pros vs Cons Last post on 8/21/12 at 1:03pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
The housing has a rounder shape then the vsd3/5 and i much prefer it this way. While the shape and looks is simple, it does not feel very cheap. The diamond cut shape on the vsd3/5 seems a little...
This review is for Master & Dynamic MH30 over the ear. My name is Adam I am a 38 years old headphone and iem collector. I don't consider myself an audiophile but have been into music and audio...
This little player can take a beating. I am not careful with this device and I've dropped it many times on all types of surfaces and it keeps going. I have had my player for nearly 3 years now and...
I've always looked into "budget-fi" since I've got more interested in proper headphones thus making me get the CALs, Takstar Pro 80s and now the Somic MH463. I will be doing some direct comparisons...
I have been looking for a desktop amp/dac for a while now as I have not had one for the last few years (last desktop amp was a Naim headline 2 with NPSC power supply which was okay but nothing...
Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp - Page 22
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #317 of 6183/5/14 at 5:34ampost #318 of 6183/5/14 at 1:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by igormsk
Please allow me an other question on DAC choosing for matching with single CMA800R & HD800 (stock cable). Leaving Auralic Vega & Questyle CAS192 out (too expensive for me at the moment) Now I'm choosing between DA8 & Firestone Tobby & Schiit Gungnir. They will be pluged directly into usb of a laptop and as I already noted I'm listening mainly to classical music, mostly elder (60-80) recordings not always of audiophile quality (most recording done prior to 1960 sound on my current system so bad that I skip them at all).
In the Tobby review you stated that you liked it a lot for classical music. But later on you have written that it's a bit on the bright/analytical side and not the best choise for not top quality recordings. Won't it sound bright/unforgiving for not top quality recordings on my system with CMA800R & HD800? Would DA8 be a better choise in this scenario?
In the DA8 review you also mentioned that DA8 sounded noticable better with Audiophilleo or Auraliti PK90 (that I don't have) than straight of the usb on a macbook, at the same time Tobby sounded best over usb even straight from the macbook.
The Tobby will cost me just 50-60% of what I would have to pay for DA8, so DA8 has to be definatly superior for my system to make up the extra expense.
It's sad but I have no other choise than buying them without auditioning first - that's why i'm asking so many questions.
In that case I would definitely lean towards the DA8. Tobby is brilliant with good recordings, but not very forgiving with poor material. DA8 is a lot more even handing, sounding good with most anything you play. DA8 is still very good via Macbook USB.... those other things improve it, but baseline performance is already quite good. I believe Tobby is more compromised on the other inputs - it's mainly a USB DAC, with legacy support, while the DA8 is roughly equal across all inputs. Which makes it more susceptible to expensive USB to SPDIF converters like the OR5 or AP1+PP.
At half price, Tobby is attractive, but I'm still not sure it's ideal due to your choice of music.Quote:
Makes sense - a single CMA800R is already brilliant with HD800 and has plenty of juice, so the extra power isn't needed so much. With planars, the increase is probably more welcome.post #319 of 6183/5/14 at 3:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by project86
In that case I would definitely lean towards the DA8. Tobby is brilliant with good recordings, but not very forgiving with poor material. DA8 is a lot more even handing, sounding good with most anything you play.
At half price, Tobby is attractive, but I'm still not sure it's ideal due to your choice of music.
As always - thank you very much for your reviews and answers on the forum!
Just ordered DA8 here in Russia locally and for a reasonable price, CMA800R has passed customs today, so I will be back next week with my initial impressions of my new setup: DA8 - CMA800R - HD800
Edited by igormsk - 3/7/14 at 4:23ampost #320 of 6183/6/14 at 1:34amQuote:
I think the same thing.
I never heard the HD800 better without any amp.
It's the firsto 10 on 10 score on my sitepost #321 of 6183/6/14 at 11:48ampost #322 of 6183/7/14 at 2:31pmQuote:
Not directly. I've heard the L2, love it, and if any amp out there can compete with CMA800R/HD800, the ECP might be it. But that's as far as I can say without direct comparisons.post #323 of 6183/7/14 at 3:13pmQuote:
From what i know, the L-2 is THE best of the best for HD800 ( check the review of Tyll for L-2/HD800 combo @Innerfidelity when comparing with the Abyss 1266). So, now, it seems the CMA800R is of the same league of the ECP...wow...i'm very impressed of this amp....:Dpost #324 of 6183/8/14 at 7:10amQuote:
In context, he does mention (bottom of the page) it being ideal for those who struggle with the HD800 being too sterile. I don't know if I'd use the same description regarding CMA800R. Then again, I don't recommend the L-2 as being overly syrupy or anything like that, so it would be a good comparison to have them both handy.post #325 of 6183/8/14 at 10:20amReally appreciate all the informative reviews. I received my Questyle this week and am blown away by the amazing quality of sound I'm getting with my HD800s played through my PerfectWaveII which is part of my main system. I'm a newbie to the headfi scene but I can see why it's such a fast-growing segment of the audio landscape. I just got my Hugo a few weeks ago and the Questyle even betters that great sounding rig.post #326 of 6183/10/14 at 5:54ampost #327 of 6183/10/14 at 5:57ampost #328 of 6183/10/14 at 5:58ampost #329 of 6183/10/14 at 5:58am
LOL! No, he must have tube amp/dac in background of photo.
Ah, never mind, I need more coffee...
Edited by Carlsan - 3/10/14 at 6:15ampost #330 of 6183/10/14 at 5:59am
- Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 13 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 46 seconds ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 1 minute ago
- › FS: Cosmic Ears CE6P 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 2 minutes ago
- › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware) 3 minutes ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 5 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by weirdek
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Bravo Audio S1 Class A Deluxe Headphone Amplifier with Op-amp by YoYo JoKeR
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › PSB M4U 1 by squee116
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm by goropeza
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2