Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Who has an end game setup? Last post on 3/27/15 at 3:24pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Denon AH-D7000 , Fostex TH900, Senn HD800, or Audeze LCD 2 or 3 for gaming? Last post on 10/11/14 at 11:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- 2k budget Last post on 11/19/12 at 11:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD800 Pros vs Cons Last post on 8/21/12 at 1:03pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ears Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/760881/sennheiser-momentum-1-0-on-ears-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Sennheiser’s style range On...
I bought the headphones on 26 / january / 2015 this first thing that made me happy was the excellent comfort of the headphones and the ability to stay on my head even if was leaning my head these...
XBA-A2 The title says "Japanese import" and I had to an add and search just to do a review. I went on a mission...
I have a lot of closed headphones. These are as good as any other closed headphone at this price, in fact, I prefer these to the DT770, K550, UE6000. The DJ1 Pro have a bigger and airier sound...
Video review of the Fiio X3 Second Generation player.
Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp - Page 22
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #317 of 6133/5/14 at 5:34ampost #318 of 6133/5/14 at 1:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by igormsk
Please allow me an other question on DAC choosing for matching with single CMA800R & HD800 (stock cable). Leaving Auralic Vega & Questyle CAS192 out (too expensive for me at the moment) Now I'm choosing between DA8 & Firestone Tobby & Schiit Gungnir. They will be pluged directly into usb of a laptop and as I already noted I'm listening mainly to classical music, mostly elder (60-80) recordings not always of audiophile quality (most recording done prior to 1960 sound on my current system so bad that I skip them at all).
In the Tobby review you stated that you liked it a lot for classical music. But later on you have written that it's a bit on the bright/analytical side and not the best choise for not top quality recordings. Won't it sound bright/unforgiving for not top quality recordings on my system with CMA800R & HD800? Would DA8 be a better choise in this scenario?
In the DA8 review you also mentioned that DA8 sounded noticable better with Audiophilleo or Auraliti PK90 (that I don't have) than straight of the usb on a macbook, at the same time Tobby sounded best over usb even straight from the macbook.
The Tobby will cost me just 50-60% of what I would have to pay for DA8, so DA8 has to be definatly superior for my system to make up the extra expense.
It's sad but I have no other choise than buying them without auditioning first - that's why i'm asking so many questions.
In that case I would definitely lean towards the DA8. Tobby is brilliant with good recordings, but not very forgiving with poor material. DA8 is a lot more even handing, sounding good with most anything you play. DA8 is still very good via Macbook USB.... those other things improve it, but baseline performance is already quite good. I believe Tobby is more compromised on the other inputs - it's mainly a USB DAC, with legacy support, while the DA8 is roughly equal across all inputs. Which makes it more susceptible to expensive USB to SPDIF converters like the OR5 or AP1+PP.
At half price, Tobby is attractive, but I'm still not sure it's ideal due to your choice of music.Quote:
Makes sense - a single CMA800R is already brilliant with HD800 and has plenty of juice, so the extra power isn't needed so much. With planars, the increase is probably more welcome.post #319 of 6133/5/14 at 3:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by project86
In that case I would definitely lean towards the DA8. Tobby is brilliant with good recordings, but not very forgiving with poor material. DA8 is a lot more even handing, sounding good with most anything you play.
At half price, Tobby is attractive, but I'm still not sure it's ideal due to your choice of music.
As always - thank you very much for your reviews and answers on the forum!
Just ordered DA8 here in Russia locally and for a reasonable price, CMA800R has passed customs today, so I will be back next week with my initial impressions of my new setup: DA8 - CMA800R - HD800
Edited by igormsk - 3/7/14 at 4:23ampost #320 of 6133/6/14 at 1:34amQuote:
I think the same thing.
I never heard the HD800 better without any amp.
It's the firsto 10 on 10 score on my sitepost #321 of 6133/6/14 at 11:48ampost #322 of 6133/7/14 at 2:31pmQuote:
Not directly. I've heard the L2, love it, and if any amp out there can compete with CMA800R/HD800, the ECP might be it. But that's as far as I can say without direct comparisons.post #323 of 6133/7/14 at 3:13pmQuote:
From what i know, the L-2 is THE best of the best for HD800 ( check the review of Tyll for L-2/HD800 combo @Innerfidelity when comparing with the Abyss 1266). So, now, it seems the CMA800R is of the same league of the ECP...wow...i'm very impressed of this amp....:Dpost #324 of 6133/8/14 at 7:10amQuote:
In context, he does mention (bottom of the page) it being ideal for those who struggle with the HD800 being too sterile. I don't know if I'd use the same description regarding CMA800R. Then again, I don't recommend the L-2 as being overly syrupy or anything like that, so it would be a good comparison to have them both handy.post #325 of 6133/8/14 at 10:20amReally appreciate all the informative reviews. I received my Questyle this week and am blown away by the amazing quality of sound I'm getting with my HD800s played through my PerfectWaveII which is part of my main system. I'm a newbie to the headfi scene but I can see why it's such a fast-growing segment of the audio landscape. I just got my Hugo a few weeks ago and the Questyle even betters that great sounding rig.post #326 of 6133/10/14 at 5:54ampost #327 of 6133/10/14 at 5:57ampost #328 of 6133/10/14 at 5:58ampost #329 of 6133/10/14 at 5:58am
LOL! No, he must have tube amp/dac in background of photo.
Ah, never mind, I need more coffee...
Edited by Carlsan - 3/10/14 at 6:15ampost #330 of 6133/10/14 at 5:59am
- Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 2359glenn | studio 23 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 30 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Best IEM tips? 2 minutes ago
- › Turntable Advice 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 4 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 5 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by trane1992
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2