Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp - Page 12

post #166 of 427

Questyle sounds to good to be true, anyway think i will be cancelling my order on Auralic and get Questyle instead. 

After all my favourite headphone are HD800 and are on the way.   

post #167 of 427
John,

How does the CMA800R compare to the V200 on high sensitivity/low impedance headphones like the LA7000? I may pick up another closed headphone like the Alpha Dog or the LCD-XC in the future. Any experience which amp would be better? Thanks.
post #168 of 427

I'm not John, but since the CMA800 voltage output is supposedly optimized for high impedance headphones such as the HD 800, I'm not sure that the low impedance headphones would excel in this setup.  I've used TH900 at 25Ω with the CMA800 to good effect, but I don't think that those headphones are a good basis for comparison, since they have their own sound signature by far and away, altho they may be close enough via the Denon sound for a valid comparison with the LA7000.  I'm sure that John has audited a much larger scope of HPs vs. amps, anyway, so his response should be much more cogent.

 

My current CMA800 match fave is the LCD-2.2 at 65Ω.  They've never sounded so good, but that may be more about power than impedance matching. I've got a pair of T5p at 35Ω around, but somehow they've not managed to come out of their case of late, since I'm having so much success with the forementioned 3 headphones above with my current amp setups.  And concerning rattesp's T1 comments, I'm not sure if if they're ever gonna.


Edited by jacal01 - 1/6/14 at 1:24pm
post #169 of 427

I'll try it with the LCD-3's and the HE-6's after I setup the balanced mono block.

Just got the two in today but unfortunately have to be at work tonight until late.

 

Shame about the T-1's, wonder if they got balanced if that would make any difference.

post #170 of 427

The T1 are not horrible with the CMA800R. But they are not great either.  It's just that the HD800 sounds so much better. It's disturbing for me since I've always prefered the T1. I'll have to do a serious comparison with the T1/Soloist combo to be sure I'm not crazy !

post #171 of 427

Mine arrives today along with Senn HD650s. I also have Senn 598s.  Ill let you guys know what I think! My dac is a Yulong DA8.

post #172 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattesp View Post
 

The T1 are not horrible with the CMA800R. But they are not great either.  It's just that the HD800 sounds so much better. It's disturbing for me since I've always prefered the T1. I'll have to do a serious comparison with the T1/Soloist combo to be sure I'm not crazy !

 

The Soloist T1 combo is a killer.  T1 was my favorite headphone with the Soloist. 

Makes me regret selling off my Soloist

post #173 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM324 View Post

John,

How does the CMA800R compare to the V200 on high sensitivity/low impedance headphones like the LA7000? I may pick up another closed headphone like the Alpha Dog or the LCD-XC in the future. Any experience which amp would be better? Thanks.

 

It's close, but I think I prefer V200 in that case. Not that the Questyle is bad, but rather by virtue of the V200 being so damn good. Drop the pre-gain settings to -6dB or even -12dB and get ready for a black background and precise volume control. 

 

That said, CMA800(R) is still in the upper echelon for that type of headphone. There's not much else that beats it - V200, maybe AURALiC Taurus.... can't think of any others right now. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal01 View Post
 

I'm not John, but since the CMA800 voltage output is supposedly optimized for high impedance headphones such as the HD 800, I'm not sure that the low impedance headphones would excel in this setup.  I've used TH900 at 25Ω with the CMA800 to good effect, but I don't think that those headphones are a good basis for comparison, since they have their own sound signature by far and away, altho they may be close enough via the Denon sound for a valid comparison with the LA7000.  I'm sure that John has audited a much larger scope of HPs vs. amps, anyway, so his response should be much more cogent.

 

My current CMA800 match fave is the LCD-2.2 at 65Ω.  They've never sounded so good, but that may be more about power than impedance matching. I've got a pair of T5p at 35Ω around, but somehow they've not managed to come out of their case of late, since I'm having so much success with the forementioned 3 headphones above with my current amp setups.  And concerning rattesp's T1 comments, I'm not sure if if they're ever gonna.

 

What he said!

 

Seriously, Questyle does seem to have built this thing for higher impedance models. Again, not that low impedance performance is lacking, but HD800 is just sooooooo well done. The CMA800(R) has an output impedance below 1 ohm, plenty of power, etc, so it's got everything in place to do really well with most any headphone.

 

T5p would probably sound kinda thin and bright, which is seemingly what beyer had in mind when they voiced it. Or maybe they intended it for use with their own amps which have 100 ohm output impedance, thus giving T5p more warmth (but less control). 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post
 

I'll try it with the LCD-3's and the HE-6's after I setup the balanced mono block.

Just got the two in today but unfortunately have to be at work tonight until late.

 

Shame about the T-1's, wonder if they got balanced if that would make any difference.

 

Probably not. I really do think the T1 needs a colored amp to sound good. Maybe not massively colored, but at least to some small degree. The Questyle is just too honest. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcullinan View Post
 

Mine arrives today along with Senn HD650s. I also have Senn 598s.  Ill let you guys know what I think! My dac is a Yulong DA8.

 

Cool! Keep us updated. 

post #174 of 427

Got Q192 for tests, which is WM8740 DAC + current mode amplification combo, it's around 649$. I'm suprised how well this thing also sounds with HD 800. CMA800R is still better, but similarities in sound signature are significant. 

post #175 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

I see both sides - yes, spending a lot for that one function (volume control) seems kinda odd. And I suppose it is odd, if you already have a nice DAC and a single CMA800R. You add another CMA800R (which isn't exactly pocket change) and all of a sudden you need to spend big bucks on a simple volume control? Then again, we are talking end-game systems here, so I guess spending a decent amount is just par for the course.

 

It maybe helps that DACs are progressing so rapidly. So if you maybe own a DAC from a few years back, with no volume functionality, it might be a worthwhile upgrade anyway. Get something newer and better than your current DAC, and the volume control probably comes as a bonus.

 

As you know, the single CMA800 is already VERY good at showing the true colors of a source component. I can only imagine the dual monoblock setup taking it that much farther. So I guess spending big bucks on it doesn't seem so unreasonable. If one was determined to build the best HD800 rig they could, I'd think this was a very viable option. I'd think your Krell would be an ideal pairing if you ever pick up the monos. Definitely worth an email to Alden if you think it might be a road you want to try.

 

I wouldn't worry too much about the cable side of it though. You can do quite well for yourself without spending obscene amounts. There are plenty of options out there which won't break the bank - I can have any cables I want, yet I choose relatively affordable stuff from Cabledyne, Toxic Cables, Charleston Cable Co, CablePro, etc. These small firms have exceptional designs and customer service too, without needing a second mortgage. Give me those any day compared to Nordost or Shunyata etc.

 

I'm rethinking my dual CMA800R upgrade... does seems like so much excessive cost per diminishing returns for the rather dubious advantages of balanced mono vs. SE.  Every time I listen to my Krell I think, "What XLR?"  Likewise with my CMA800 and LCD-2s.  There are definitely 2 schools of thought out there about dedicated signal channel grounds, and I really don't feel it'd be worth the cost involved.  Can't get over the hump, at any rate, unless I hear/see some convincing argument besides 'du jour'.  You know?

 

Anyways, I'm very keen on your review of the dual monoblock CMA800R config update, if and when it happens, before I'd contemplate pulling the trigger, I think.  Or perhaps some others comparisons here, once they've had the dual CMA800R configuration in place awhile. 

 

Heh.  Nordost, check. Tara Labs, check. MIT Cables, check.  Voodoo Cables, check...  I do think my Double Helix Clone LCD-2.2 headphone cables are first rate, tho. 

post #176 of 427

Hi guys,

Is there any information or reviews on the CMR600 model.....how longs it been out?  I wonder how it sounds to the model you guys . Whats the difference in design and stuff,  I've looked online but no1 is selling it

Really interested in this

 

:)

post #177 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00lunar View Post
 

Got Q192 for tests, which is WM8740 DAC + current mode amplification combo, it's around 649$. I'm suprised how well this thing also sounds with HD 800. CMA800R is still better, but similarities in sound signature are significant. 

 

 

Yep, it's really something isn't it? I've got it on desktop duty, as DAC and preamp for some Adam Audio F5 monitors. It is very strong as a preamp - very neutral and linear. Even the knob feels premium as it moves. The amp section is surprisingly good too. I've been using it with HD800 a bit and it does a fine job, but I need to do some more listening on those. Works well with IEMs though - maybe better than CMA800(R) thanks to lower gain. Output impedance is .5 ohm or maybe less, so no problems there.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal01 View Post
 

 

I'm rethinking my dual CMA800R upgrade... does seems like so much excessive cost per diminishing returns for the rather dubious advantages of balanced mono vs. SE.  Every time I listen to my Krell I think, "What XLR?"  Likewise with my CMA800 and LCD-2s.  There are definitely 2 schools of thought out there about dedicated signal channel grounds, and I really don't feel it'd be worth the cost involved.  Can't get over the hump, at any rate, unless I hear/see some convincing argument besides 'du jour'.  You know?

 

Anyways, I'm very keen on your review of the dual monoblock CMA800R config update, if and when it happens, before I'd contemplate pulling the trigger, I think.  Or perhaps some others comparisons here, once they've had the dual CMA800R configuration in place awhile. 

 

Heh.  Nordost, check. Tara Labs, check. MIT Cables, check.  Voodoo Cables, check...  I do think my Double Helix Clone LCD-2.2 headphone cables are first rate, tho. 

 

I can see that. It's not cheap and it will require some serious benefits before I can comfortably recommend it. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost&confused View Post
 

Hi guys,

Is there any information or reviews on the CMR600 model.....how longs it been out?  I wonder how it sounds to the model you guys . Whats the difference in design and stuff,  I've looked online but no1 is selling it

Really interested in this

 

:)

 

 

Questyle told me they are focusing on the CMA800R, the CAS192 DAC, and the Q192 integrated unit. The CMA600 and CAS192 mini are kind of on the back burner for now. I guess it makes sense to focus on your affordable multi-purpose model, and then your flagship gear, rather than the middle of the road stuff.

post #178 of 427

Looks like there are a couple of new reviews happening. 

 

Get ready for the 6 Moons Review here and there is another review in Polish here. Some nice pictures on the last one.

 

 

post #179 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun View Post
 

Looks like there are a couple of new reviews happening. 

 

Get ready for the 6 Moons Review here and there is another review in Polish here. Some nice pictures on the last one.

 

 

 

Yeah it should be interesting to see what Srajan has to say. I predict a mellifluous convergence of imaging specificity and top-down fluidity, circumscribed by exuberant physicality.

 

 

 

Or something like that. 

post #180 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

Yeah it should be interesting to see what Srajan has to say. I predict a mellifluous convergence of imaging specificity and top-down fluidity, circumscribed by exuberant physicality.

 

 

 

Or something like that. 


He told me the same, exact thing when I told him about CMA800R :E

 

Though, he corrected, that HPA-21 has one current output, and CMA800R has only voltage ones, even though they both have current based amplifier circuits. So those devices aren't quite the same beasts.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp