Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp - Page 9

post #121 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post
 

Anyone compare this to the Bryston BHA-1?

 

Not directly. I had a Bryston here for a while, it's a nice amp for sure. Not absolute top class imho, but still very nice. Reminds me of their DAC - very nice, maybe not the best available but definitely enjoyable. Plus the crazy warranty and nice build quality are very welcome. 

 

Based on memory, the BHA-1 is not as transparent overall. The CMA800 digs out more detail and therefore seems more accurate. Bryston is good in that area but not among the best I've heard. 

post #122 of 586
Did you compare CMA800 with Soloist?
thanks
post #123 of 586

Not even close.

post #124 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joong View Post

Did you compare CMA800 with Soloist?
thanks

 

Sorry, no. I've heard the Soloist several times but not recently.

post #125 of 586

I'm on the fence about getting the CMA800, which I can get for a good price. I also have a Soloist and the BHA-1. If I follow through and buy it I'll try to make some observations.

 

I do wonder if the BHA-1 in balanced mode would still be better than the CMA800 in single ended headphone out for driving the LCD-3 or HE-6.

(Both served with a balanced connected Anedio D2)

 

Buying two CMA800's to make a balanced setup up is out of the question at this time. 

post #126 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post
 

I'm on the fence about getting the CMA800, which I can get for a good price. I also have a Soloist and the BHA-1. If I follow through and buy it I'll try to make some observations.

 

I do wonder if the BHA-1 in balanced mode would still be better than the CMA800 in single ended headphone out for driving the LCD-3 or HE-6.

(Both served with a balanced connected Anedio D2)

 

Buying two CMA800's to make a balanced setup up is out of the question at this time. 

 

Keep in mind that the BHA-1 is not really a "true" balanced design. It's basically a balanced input stage, followed by a stereo volume control (2 gang rather than 4), then a special inversion stage to make the quad (balanced) output signal. So essentially it's balanced to single ended back to balanced. 

 

This could be seen as bad, like they added complexity for no reason, or negated the benefits of a "true" balanced amp. Then again it also means the XLR or SE output jacks should sound virtually identical. 


Edited by project86 - 12/13/13 at 1:37pm
post #127 of 586

If one uses two CMA800's in balance mode, can one still use the single ended headphone output if needed?

Of do you need two separate inputs, one single ended, left and right, to one of the CMA800's, and the other input, the balanced right single CMA800 and the other left balanced single CMA800.

 

In other words, can one use the dual CMA800 setup both for the balanced output as well as a single ended in stereo (out of one unit)? Granted with a second pair of input feeding that unit, besides the single balanced.

post #128 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post
 

If one uses two CMA800's in balance mode, can one still use the single ended headphone output if needed?

Of do you need two separate inputs, one single ended, left and right, to one of the CMA800's, and the other input, the balanced right single CMA800 and the other left balanced single CMA800.

 

In other words, can one use the dual CMA800 setup both for the balanced output as well as a single ended in stereo (out of one unit)? Granted with a second pair of input feeding that unit, besides the single balanced.

 

 

I doubt it. There's a switch on front for selecting stereo or mono operation. I'm assuming the unselected output is then muted. 

post #129 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

 

I doubt it. There's a switch on front for selecting stereo or mono operation. I'm assuming the unselected output is then muted. 

 

You can't use both outputs at the same time but still that would work in being able to use either balanced or single ended outputs.

 

A pair of rca's or xlr's going into one unit, the balanced input xlr's going one into each unit. With those two sets of inputs, you should have the versatility of using one  unit with 1/4 inch headphone plugs when needed, when switched to stereo.
When balanced output is required then having both units switched mono would do it.

post #130 of 586

I get it. Good question.... seems like it maybe should work, but I'm not sure. I do have a pair of CMA800R on the way for review (and comparison to the single CMA800) so I'll give it a shot when I can. If any of the dual CMA800R users care to try if first, feel free.

post #131 of 586

I see that you can purchase the CMA800R through Amazon for $1,499. Does anyone know if Questyle allows for an audition period?

post #132 of 586

I'm in. Ordered tonight.


Edited by Sanlitun - 12/14/13 at 7:39pm
post #133 of 586

 Though I would like to upgrade to HD800's eventually, would this be overkill for HD650's that I am using right now? Right now I use an old cosmic amp I purchased years ago. 


Edited by pprice42 - 12/14/13 at 9:03pm
post #134 of 586

If you can get it a a price, it may help you with your future plans.

Not sure about the HD650, but my guess is that it would help bring out the full potential of the headphone.


Edited by Carlsan - 12/14/13 at 9:11pm
post #135 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

Keep in mind that the BHA-1 is not really a "true" balanced design. It's basically a balanced input stage, followed by a stereo volume control (2 gang rather than 4), then a special inversion stage to make the quad (balanced) output signal. So essentially it's balanced to single ended back to balanced.

 

This could be seen as bad, like they added complexity for no reason, or negated the benefits of a "true" balanced amp. Then again it also means the XLR or SE output jacks should sound virtually identical.

 

Still sounds better than the 'true balanced' Mjolnir from my experience, and most reports. Like everything though, it still always ends with subjective preferances. Keep in mind as well that the BHA-1's SE output is garbage compared to balanced. I'd think comparing the balanced Bryston against the SE CMA800 is a fair comparison though since they are in the same price bracket, and using their full design to boot. IMO.

 

-Daniel

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp