or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 344

post #5146 of 12241
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedawg140 View Post
 

 

 

I knew y'all could do it!  :wink_face:

 

Teamwork! 

 

I remember all the fuss between the UE18 and JH13 at the time...

post #5147 of 12241
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

Interesting new graph of the JH Roxanne and the usual SE846




Is a treble roll off at 7k vs 10k and recessed mids the secret to the large sound stage and clarity on the Roxanne? If it is, no thank you.

 

That Roxanne graph seems a little off, that much of a valley and spike at the upper mids and treble is unusual. There's a better one posted in the Roxanne thread. 

 

The 846 graph agrees with my ears though. 

post #5148 of 12241
I had no idea Jerry Zharvey was at the helm of UE... Ya lesrn something every day.

My brother's first foray into IEMs was back in 07 with the UE ZTriple Fis; me the Atrio M5.

The Westone tips are not quite as comfy as the stock Shure olives (yet), but wow! The more I listen with them, the more I love them.
post #5149 of 12241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepito View Post
 

 

Teamwork! 

 

I remember all the fuss between the UE18 and JH13 at the time...

 

I think the UE 18 Pro is relevant, even today.  Once more IEM companies show up at the southern California meet-ups my mind may change regarding which IEM I think sounds great...but until then, the UE 18 Pro is pretty darn good.

post #5150 of 12241
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedawg140 View Post
 

 

I think the UE 18 Pro is relevant, even today.  Once more IEM companies show up at the southern California meet-ups my mind may change regarding which IEM I think sounds great...but until then, the UE 18 Pro is pretty darn good.

There was a member who tried a K10, 846, Roxanne and UE18. He decided to go for the UE18. It's a very good IEM, but it's old and has lost its FOTM status around head-fi. 

post #5151 of 12241
post #5152 of 12241

great thanks

post #5153 of 12241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepito View Post

There was a member who tried a K10, 846, Roxanne and UE18. He decided to go for the UE18. It's a very good IEM, but it's old and has lost its FOTM status around head-fi. 

Yep, I'm aware. I tried those and a lot more IEMs out (check my review on the LA Head-Fi Meet impressions thread).
Edited by moedawg140 - 8/11/14 at 7:00pm
post #5154 of 12241
I was of the assumption that the 18 Pro was intended for production rather than portable use?
post #5155 of 12241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post

I was of the assumption that the 18 Pro was intended for production rather than portable use?

I would say the UE UERM was a lot more reference-based. I thought the UE 18 Pro would be fine to take around IF I had to choose a CIEM based on what I heard at the meet and could not purchase the SE846 with SCS and a HL/Beat Audio silver cable.
Edited by moedawg140 - 8/11/14 at 7:14pm
post #5156 of 12241

I heard the 18, and went back to the UERM.  Too colored for my taste, but we all have preferences.

post #5157 of 12241
Most definitely, as I thought the UERM was way too flat sounding for my taste, with no bass (as I do love quality, deep bass). Glad there are all sorts of IEMs to cater to all sorts of preferences.
post #5158 of 12241
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedawg140 View Post

Most definitely, as I thought the UERM was way too flat sounding for my taste, with no bass (as I do love quality, deep bass). Glad there are all sorts of IEMs to cater to all sorts of preferences.

Yeah, it is flat, and I thought because of it's flat response, the sound was clear and very clean(this of course depends on the how clean the source is but the demo provided the AK240 which is a very transparent source).  I sensed muddiness to the 18's sound.  Some people like the extra boosts to certain frequencies to liven things up.  I personally like to let the mastering output the way the sound was intended.  I prefer flat phones and transparent soureces.  There are phones that claim to be neutral, but they are not as they do not output the mastering with integrity.  The real transparent setup I've heard will output dynamics when it's there. The problem with this setup is not all music sounds exciting because it's transparent and it's outputting the mastering quality.  I have noticed this through AK240.  Initially I was not impressed with the player because some music didn't sound very good.  Certain type of pop music. Then I tried other genres, and I come to find out it's outputting the mastering quality.  The player doesn't seem to be colored like majority that are out there so that compressed music sounds decent, and everything else sound in that level. With a transparent setup, the distinction of the quality of the mastering is very obvious.  This requires lowest amount of color in the path as possible.


Edited by SilverEars - 8/11/14 at 7:41pm
post #5159 of 12241
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post



Was the UE 18pro made before or after Jerry Harvey left Ultimate Ears?

Before 

post #5160 of 12241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

I heard the 18, and went back to the UERM.  Too colored for my taste, but we all have preferences.

I like a painting with color.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread