Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 336

post #5026 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazzzup View Post
 

well my hpa8 blows my i phone away if thats a comparison, and yes within my music collection there is a wide array of recordings from compressed tunes to mind blowing expansive tunes. I just hope that apple keeps considering us audio folks in phone and i mac development.

Can't denied that Fostex capable of making a really awesome DAC~~

post #5027 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick530 View Post

I hope you can be more constructive than your limited vocabulary. I don't understand why people even bother to reply. Maybe they're just plain borerd. 
Limited vocabulary? I was just being succinct.
sorry if my opinion upsets you. I happen to believe that modern smartphones and ipods do just fine and test measurements appear to back that up.
Feel free to disagree but no need to get abusive. smily_headphones1.gif
post #5028 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviemcc View Post


Limited vocabulary? I was just being succinct.
sorry if my opinion upsets you. I happen to believe that modern smartphones and ipods do just fine and test measurements appear to back that up.
Feel free to disagree but no need to get abusive. smily_headphones1.gif

I think this is just nonsense.

post #5029 of 6138

Honestly, if people can't distinguish SQ difference between smartphones and high-end DAPs, they shouldn't even be here wasting our time. It's like praising picture quality of 480p videos (smartphones) on a 4K TV or display (SE 846).

post #5030 of 6138
You know what? The Note 3 actually has a great sound, to my ears. It works well with my 535s, my K10s, and my 846s. Does my dedicated DAC/amp sound a but better? Yes. Am I unhappy with the sound out of my Note 3? Not at all. Is it worth the hassle to connect my phone to a dedicated DAC/amp? Not for me, in most cases.

With V4A, the Note 3 is the best sounding smartphone I have heard. I think that even a few years ago, a DAP was a very real improvement on smartphone sound. My Galaxy S2, for example, really wasn't that great. However, technology improves and smartphone makers are definitely starting to put good components in their products. I don't have a need for a standalone DAP at this time. Personally, I would rather throw the money I would spend on a DAP at another set of CIEMs. But, that is just me.

Personally, with how I enjoy my music, a dedicated DAP just doesn't sound appealing. I am happy with what I have and I don't feel the need to update another link in the chain. I don't claim to be correct, but I am happy with my setup, and in the end that is all that matters. There may very well be a "night and day" difference between my phone and a nice DAP. But if I can't hear it, there is no point for me to chase something just because somebody else says that it is so. If you are happy with your setup, don't let anybody tell you that you are wrong.
post #5031 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq3rjick View Post

You know what? The Note 3 actually has a great sound, to my ears. It works well with my 535s, my K10s, and my 846s. Does my dedicated DAC/amp sound a but better? Yes. Am I unhappy with the sound out of my Note 3? Not at all. Is it worth the hassle to connect my phone to a dedicated DAC/amp? Not for me, in most cases.

With V4A, the Note 3 is the best sounding smartphone I have heard. I think that even a few years ago, a DAP was a very real improvement on smartphone sound. My Galaxy S2, for example, really wasn't that great. However, technology improves and smartphone makers are definitely starting to put good components in their products. I don't have a need for a standalone DAP at this time. Personally, I would rather throw the money I would spend on a DAP at another set of CIEMs. But, that is just me.

Personally, with how I enjoy my music, a dedicated DAP just doesn't sound appealing. I am happy with what I have and I don't feel the need to update another link in the chain. I don't claim to be correct, but I am happy with my setup, and in the end that is all that matters. There may very well be a "night and day" difference between my phone and a nice DAP. But if I can't hear it, there is no point for me to chase something just because somebody else says that it is so. If you are happy with your setup, don't let anybody tell you that you are wrong.

Currently I'm still using the S2 as a phone but If I'm not mistaken that the S2 is using Wolfson's WM8994 DAC with some sort of Yamaha hardware in it so IMO it's doesn't sound that bad LOL, but I wanted an upgrade so I bought the DX90 for it's price & sound and I satisfied on it.

post #5032 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick530 View Post

Honestly, if people can't distinguish SQ difference between smartphones and high-end DAPs, they shouldn't even be here wasting our time. It's like praising picture quality of 480p videos (smartphones) on a 4K TV or display (SE 846).

Personally, I would rather upgrade my headphones than upgrade my source (with the caveat that my source is "good enough"). You will see the most improvement by upgrading your headphones. I would rather spend the $1300 for a JH Roxanne than for a AK120mkii, as I feel like I would get much more improvement for my money.

I don't quite agree with your analogy. In my opinion, the differences don't matter when you are 3 inches from the screen. :-) I also do not agree that there is that much difference, or that the 846 is unusable on anything but a high end DAC or DAP. Shure designed these headphones to scale well, and they are designed to be driven out of smart phones (because Shure does market research and knows who buys their products).

As long as you enjoy something, you are not doing something wrong. Please do not tell other people that they are wrong because they don't share your opinions. That is why they are called opinions. Your way is good for you, but my way is good for me.

And just so we are clear, the 846 is my backup, gym headphone, so it is not like I couldn't afford a high end DAC or DAP if I felt it was justified. I just feel like, for me, it would be a waste of money when I am happy with what I currently have.
post #5033 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensenchua View Post

Currently I'm still using the S2 as a phone but If I'm not mistaken that the S2 is using Wolfson
's WM8994 DAC with some sort of Yamaha hardware in it so IMO it's doesn't sound that bad LOL, but I wanted an upgrade so I bought the DX90 for it's price & sound and I satisfied on it.

I was using the Epic 4G Touch variant, so no Wolfson chip for me.
post #5034 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq3rjick View Post


I was using the Epic 4G Touch variant, so no Wolfson chip for me.

Oooo I see, my bad~~ I never try the Note 3 yet, nowadays phones SQ getting better & better, my brother have this China brand phones VIVO X3 (Oppo subsidiary company) is using the ES9018 DAC, tested few time with FLAC files and is sounded not bad too~~

post #5035 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq3rjick View Post

You know what? The Note 3 actually has a great sound, to my ears. It works well with my 535s, my K10s, and my 846s. Does my dedicated DAC/amp sound a but better? Yes. Am I unhappy with the sound out of my Note 3? Not at all. Is it worth the hassle to connect my phone to a dedicated DAC/amp? Not for me, in most cases.
Yes this. I do indeed use Nexus 5 for listening duties the most with SE846 precisely as I always have it with me. Even though Nexus 5 terrible sounding compared to my other kit but equally am not 'unhappy' with it. I beg your A note 3 is better than the N5 tongue.gif Hopefully my next smartphone will have better stock sound though doubt it will match Nexus for value for money. Think I need to charge up the Sansa Clip Zip
post #5036 of 6138
I agree, my note 3 sound great with 846. Not bad for running around town with.
post #5037 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq3rjick View Post


Personally, I would rather upgrade my headphones than upgrade my source (with the caveat that my source is "good enough"). You will see the most improvement by upgrading your headphones. I would rather spend the $1300 for a JH Roxanne than for a AK120mkii, as I feel like I would get much more improvement for my money.

I don't quite agree with your analogy. In my opinion, the differences don't matter when you are 3 inches from the screen. :-) I also do not agree that there is that much difference, or that the 846 is unusable on anything but a high end DAC or DAP. Shure designed these headphones to scale well, and they are designed to be driven out of smart phones (because Shure does market research and knows who buys their products).

As long as you enjoy something, you are not doing something wrong. Please do not tell other people that they are wrong because they don't share your opinions. That is why they are called opinions. Your way is good for you, but my way is good for me.

And just so we are clear, the 846 is my backup, gym headphone, so it is not like I couldn't afford a high end DAC or DAP if I felt it was justified. I just feel like, for me, it would be a waste of money when I am happy with what I currently have.

I disagree and I still stand by the fact that source and phones are equally important in a setup. Highend phones like 846 and Roxannes are very sensitive on their own. If your source is somewhat "tainted", it should reflect very well on the SQ. In your case, since I'd never root my phone to try Viper4Android, I really can't make a comment on the SQ from that through the Note 3. But I just can't believe a software can magically turns a smartphone into something that it is not. It might improve the sound a bit, but will not be night and day. I used to listen through the S4 and current gen iPod Classic, which at that time I thought was great. Not long after trying out a friend's DX90 and Hifiman 901, the differences in SQ justify my purchase of the ZX-1 together with the pico slim. So it does matter to your contrary (at least to me).

 

I would also like to address that I never said the 846 is unusable on a smartphone or tablet, I only meant that it's overkill to use it with a mediocre source. If Shure phones are really aimed at smartphone users, they would have included a mic cable out of the box. There's a reason for phones like this to be called IEMs and **** cans call earphones. What works for you does not necessary work for others. I never said your way is wrong, I'm only offering an alternative route to drive out the sonic capabilities of a nice pair of IEM. Maybe you can't hear a difference, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't either. If you're happy with your setup, that's fine and I'm happy for you since you can save money for something else. But for those of us who are nit picky, minuscule difference to you might mean huge difference for us. 

 

FYI, I don't really care whether your 846 is your backup gym phone or your casual pimping showoff phone. Whether you could afford something or not does not factor or matter in this discussion.


Edited by slick530 - 8/8/14 at 12:41pm
post #5038 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick530 View Post

I disagree and I still stand by the fact that source and phones are equally important in a setup. Highend phones like 846 and Roxannes are very sensitive on their own. If your source is somewhat "tainted", it should reflect very well on the SQ. In your case, since I'd never root my phone to try Viper4Android, I really can't make a comment on the SQ from that through the Note 3. But I just can't believe a software can magically turns a smartphone into something that it is not. It might improve the sound a bit, but will not be night and day. I used to listen through the S4 and current gen iPod Classic, which at that time I thought was great. Not long after trying out a friend's DX90 and Hifiman 901, the differences in SQ justify my purchase of the ZX-1 together with the pico slim. So it does matter to your contrary (at least to me).

I would also like to address that I never said the 846 is unusable on a smartphone or tablet, I only meant that it's overkill to use it with a mediocre source. If Shure phones are really aimed at smartphone users, they would have included a mic cable out of the box. There's a reason for phones like this to be called IEMs and **** cans call earphones. What works for you does not necessary work for others. I never said your way is wrong, I'm only offering an alternative route to drive out the sonic capabilities of a nice pair of IEM. Maybe you can't hear a difference, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't either. If you're happy with your setup, that's fine and I'm happy for you since you can save money for something else. But for those of us who are nit picky, minuscule difference to you might mean marginal difference for us. 

FYI, I don't really care whether your 846 is your backup gym phone or your casual pimping showoff phone. Whether you could afford something or not does not factor or matter in this discussion.

We can agree to disagree. V4A isn't some magic. It just replaces the driver for the internal DAC with one that is implemented a bit better than the default driver. If the phone already has a good driver, it won't do anything. It only unlocks whatever the internal DAC is inherently capable of producing. The Note 3, for example, natively supports 24 bit / 192 kHz. That is good enough for me.

I only mentioned the fact that the 846 isn't my primary headphone because I think it is important to know where I am coming from. It isn't like I am saying a dedicated DAP isn't worth it because I haven't heard one or can't afford it. In fact, I very easily could afford it without any issue, if I saw a value in it for me. I probably don't use a fully portable setup as much as other people here. Phone use is limited for me, and I am mostly using at my desk at home and at work. Perhaps if I had a longer commute I might find a benefit in a portable DAP.

Anyways, I will agree that what is best is what makes you happy. I am happy that you found something that sounds good for you. I, however, am equally happy with how my setup sounds to me.
post #5039 of 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe View Post

I generally find most areas outside of IEMs to be incremental goodness...which is great.

The only two areas I can think of that make what I would consider big differences are:
1. The music file. Was it a good recording to begin with? Is it heavily compressed? And so on.
2. Balanced amp

That being said, I am always eager to find another couple of points of improvement wherever I can find it.

I would love that illusive tweak to turn my 846 into 1,000,000,846 smily_headphones1.gif

 

Did you say 1,000,000,846?

 

post #5040 of 6138

Yes, it was made as a result of the Alan Parson's Project.  Who would have known?

 

Since it is Friday and we are on the Austin Powers theme....  If the SE846 is number 1,  who does number 2 work for?

 

 


Edited by M Coupe - 8/8/14 at 4:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread