Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 321

post #4801 of 6814

I suspect you might need to resend for a refit base on what you mention.

 

1) The fit for me is very tight and it will not move even if I head bang. It goes so deep that I actually chop off some as I felt its too deep into the canal.

2) The bass should increase  drastically, the mid bass being much pronounce.

3) It becomes very detail not because the sound becomes thinner but because the sound becomes more full and vocal more intimate like Diana whispering next to my ear feeling..

4) Vocal become more chesty

post #4802 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post
 

I suspect you might need to resend for a refit base on what you mention.

 

1) The fit for me is very tight and it will not move even if I head bang. It goes so deep that I actually chop off some as I felt its too deep into the canal.

2) The bass should increase  drastically, the mid bass being much pronounce.

3) It becomes very detail not because the sound becomes thinner but because the sound becomes more full and vocal more intimate like Diana whispering next to my ear feeling..

4) Vocal become more chesty

 

Yep, absolutely nothing like this happened for me. The fit is incredibly shallow and if I move my head it gets easily dislodged. Sound is considerably more distant. It's weird because the molds he took felt like they were lodged deep in my brain. They had the second curve and everything. The silicones don't have any of it. It's like Sensaphonics saw the molds and went "there's no way his ears are this big, let's make it smaller". 

 

I'll call them up tomorrow or whatever.

post #4803 of 6814

Damn sorry to hear.... After spending 200 + weeks, I would def get them remolded. Maybe go to a different audiologist? 

post #4804 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Yep, absolutely nothing like this happened for me. The fit is incredibly shallow and if I move my head it gets easily dislodged. Sound is considerably more distant. It's weird because the molds he took felt like they were lodged deep in my brain. They had the second curve and everything. The silicones don't have any of it. It's like Sensaphonics saw the molds and went "there's no way his ears are this big, let's make it smaller". 

 

I'll call them up tomorrow or whatever.


Dude that sucks. BUT the good news is Sensaphonics will redo them and your Audiologist will redo the molds if that is the issue. If Sensaphonics kept your molds/impressions (they have mine) They can I suppose choose which mold to work with.

 

My audiologist was great when mine went back to be turned into the now standard Full Shell. She even made a second impression "just in case" No extra charges no hassles.

 

Pictures will be taken of them sitting in your ears. etc Red pen,

 

Di you go for a fitting at your audiologist or were they sent straight to you?

 

In any event this is something that is easily solved (Unlike finding and killing Caesar) Sensaphonics IMO shines a CS.

 

This process would be easier if we loved in Chicago or better still were flown in to Chicago in a private jet.

 

Question are you applying some sort of lubricant to the SCS or you ear before insertion? They will plop into place that way (just in case you hadn't ignore that suggestion otherwise)

 

I feel your disappointment. Like my first pair that sounded and looked good but hurt me (not unlike a few women I have known over the years)

 

Call Claudia and your Audiologist. All will be good in the end.

 

(ctually in the "end" the universe will pull itself apart in a Big rip as expansion hits a point that gravity can no longer hold molecules together.in which the matter of the universe, from stars and galaxies to atoms and subatomic particles, is progressively torn apart by the expansion of the universe at a certain time in the future  

 

But that is months if not years away so still time for this to work out and end well

post #4805 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

So after spending the last two hours with my SCS, the result is a resounding... ehh?

 

First thing I notice is that they obviously don't sit as deeply into the ear, and the make of them is such that it's more like they rest in the crux of your ear and fill it, with the nozzle down the ear canal. If you're used to that really deep IEM feeling... these don't have it. Even when I could tell there was a seal, they didn't feel "solid".

 

Secondly, the fit is super finicky. Because they're molded to the ear with silicone, any slight variant in position means they're not sitting perfectly in the ear and bang. You got yourself a broken seal. When you put 'em in you gotta first insert, turn backwards, then turn HARD forwards. It sorta works.

 

As for the sound... I dunno. They wouldn't sit quite right to keep the sub-bass there, the things kept wanting to rotate backwards. I had to hold them in place. Once there, all I really noticed was that the bass was toned down. When people say these bring out the details, really what's happening is less bass, which means you can pick out subtleties higher up the frequency ladder. They also need more volume, which makes sense because they hold the drivers further away from the ear canal. In most of my listening, kick drums were gone. Like, that nice fat resonance was gone. Just the slap of the kick drum head. I'm not a bass head, but I kinda need the bass to be more than just "i'm aware that bass is in this song". If the guitars are going to scream and the vocals soar, the bass can't just sit quietly and hint at its presence.

 

All in all... I'm really underwhelmed. After $200 and five weeks, I have a pair of giant ear molds that sit awkwardly and don't sound significantly better. I suppose I could get the molds re-done and wait another month-plus and see if that's any better.

 

On the plus side, they look cool I guess.

 

 

 

 

Getting them in perfectly in order to get the correct sound is what people go through with their custom earphones. In my case sometimes it goes in the first try (hell yeah) but most of the time it takes many attempts before it goes in the right way. 

post #4806 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

Getting them in perfectly in order to get the correct sound is what people go through with their custom earphones. In my case sometimes it goes in the first try (hell yeah) but most of the time it takes many attempts before it goes in the right way. 

 

I'll give it a few days and really try to get them settled properly before making any final judgments. The last thing I want to do is return them, get new molds, and everything ending up being the exact same because I suck at insertion.

post #4807 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

I'll give it a few days and really try to get them settled properly before making any final judgments. The last thing I want to do is return them, get new molds, and everything ending up being the exact same because I suck at insertion.

 

Hey Dude, despite all the disappointment, you do look really cool with that blue custom... the blue mold just turn you into a chick magnet, its not all lost yet :)

post #4808 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

I'll give it a few days and really try to get them settled properly before making any final judgments. The last thing I want to do is return them, get new molds, and everything ending up being the exact same because I suck at insertion.

Never tell a girl that.  :D:p:eek:

post #4809 of 6814
As for suck at :Insertion, apply some lub, and they will plop into place.. See above Monty post.
post #4810 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post

As for suck at :Insertion, apply some lub, and they will plop into place.. See above Monty post.

roflmao....:deadhorse:

post #4811 of 6814

DAWWWWW SNAP U GUYZZZZ

 

Oh and I'm doing the hearing test dealie and as far as I can tell they're sealing just fine. It's just... odd. The bass IS weakened compared to the olives and Westone silicones, which wasn't what I was expecting. And they don't have that ridiculous vacuum seal feeling. I'm just not sure what's going on. I'll keep them for a little while longer. Part of me wonders if because I have bigass ear space Sensaphonics placed the drivers differently than they might have for others. 

 

Audiologist gave me a tube of the Westone ear-astroglide so I'll keep on a-fiddlin'.

post #4812 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

DAWWWWW SNAP U GUYZZZZ

 

Oh and I'm doing the hearing test dealie and as far as I can tell they're sealing just fine. It's just... odd. The bass IS weakened compared to the olives and Westone silicones, which wasn't what I was expecting. And they don't have that ridiculous vacuum seal feeling. I'm just not sure what's going on. I'll keep them for a little while longer. Part of me wonders if because I have bigass ear space Sensaphonics placed the drivers differently than they might have for others. 

 

Audiologist gave me a tube of the Westone ear-astroglide so I'll keep on a-fiddlin'.

 

I was so close to pulling the trigger on these, now you had to go and ruin it for me!..... Just kidding, keep us posted as I really want these things, just don't want to commit >$200 for impressions and sleeves

post #4813 of 6814
There is nothing wrong with the concept of custom sleeves but good, ney, perfect impressions are crucial

If you could not achieve a seal with universal tips there would be the same loss of output across the sound spectrum
post #4814 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

I'll give it a few days and really try to get them settled properly before making any final judgments. The last thing I want to do is return them, get new molds, and everything ending up being the exact same because I suck at insertion.


There's one video of how to insert them on youtube if that's any help, just to confirm you are doing it the right way,  Do a search for "sensaphonics custom sleeves" and it should come up.  Hope you get it sorted soon.

post #4815 of 6814

I saw the "AK100 II" today in a headphone shop in Toronto today ("The Headphone Shop" actually) near where I was picking up lunch close to my house. I digress. I didn't have the 8s with me so there was no point auditioning it. The price point is around that of the Sony ZX1 (not available  - yet in North America).

 

It does have some nice features (Balanced and normal jacks - A reason to upgrade my cable) 64GB built in with SD slot. bigger screen than my iPod (I just listen to music) and lots of other features.

 

It is not as ascetically pleasing as the ZX1 but.... it ain't ugly either and it is quite compact.

 

I thing he said it was 2ohms impedance....  At that point we are beyond my brains pay grade.

 

Any thoughts on how this would pair up with the 8s say vs an Fiio X5.

 

Thoughts are most appreciated. Graph while pretty mean nothing to me (Stock charts yes..Sciencey Charts not so much).

 


Edited by Monty Burns - 7/31/14 at 3:21pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread