Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 279

post #4171 of 6814
This is a good way to sample the Westone tips:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967077-REG
post #4172 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskoenig View Post

This is a good way to sample the Westone tips:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967077-REG

Excellent suggestion. I bought the full assortment pack as well way back when to find the tip that fit my ears best.
post #4173 of 6814

In my opinion, the massive isolation and SQ of the trufit foam makes them the best option, however they have a few significant downsides:

 

1) When you squish the foam it pops back to full size VERY quickly. Unlike the Olives where you roll them in your fingers and then have a few seconds to get them into place, with the Westone tips you gotta put 'em in IMMEDIATELY or they'll be "re-inflated" and you have to start again.

 

2) They're not tapered, so they just don't feel like they sit as far in the ear as others. I frequently found myself wiggling them around trying to get them in further where they "should" sit.

 

3) The material is VERY grippy, which means you do any kind of pushing or turning you can aggravate your ear. I actually had scabs after my first day, but it's good now.

 

Looking at the three tips, each one has something going for it and a big problem.

 

- Westone Silicons fit great and are comfortable, but lack isolation which probably makes you "feel" like they don't sound as good.

 

- Westone foams sound great and isolate, but they're finicky getting into place and can hurt after 2 hours or so (I listen for LONG sessions)

 

- Shure Olives fit great and isolate, but I'm still not sure about that wax guard, I'm not convinced that doesn't have an effect on the sound. Unfortunately A/B'ing earphone tips is almost impossible.

post #4174 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

In my opinion, the massive isolation and SQ of the trufit foam makes them the best option, however they have a few significant downsides:

 

1) When you squish the foam it pops back to full size VERY quickly. Unlike the Olives where you roll them in your fingers and then have a few seconds to get them into place, with the Westone tips you gotta put 'em in IMMEDIATELY or they'll be "re-inflated" and you have to start again.

 

2) They're not tapered, so they just don't feel like they sit as far in the ear as others. I frequently found myself wiggling them around trying to get them in further where they "should" sit.

 

3) The material is VERY grippy, which means you do any kind of pushing or turning you can aggravate your ear. I actually had scabs after my first day, but it's good now.

 

Looking at the three tips, each one has something going for it and a big problem.

 

- Westone Silicons fit great and are comfortable, but lack isolation which probably makes you "feel" like they don't sound as good.

 

- Westone foams sound great and isolate, but they're finicky getting into place and can hurt after 2 hours or so (I listen for LONG sessions)

 

- Shure Olives fit great and isolate, but I'm still not sure about that wax guard, I'm not convinced that doesn't have an effect on the sound. Unfortunately A/B'ing earphone tips is almost impossible.

 

Agree on the Westone star  silicone. I found they provide the best combination of fit, comfort and seal with the 846. Shure olives sounded good to me but were constantly shifting every time I moved and sometimes even on their own. I also HATE trying to pry them off the nozzles. I haven't tried the Westone foams yet but will tonight - not good news about having to put them in immediately (I usually fiddle around a bit) compared to the Comply's which I really liked with my Sony H3's. Too bad everybody's ears weren't identical - think of how good some companies could make tips - we'd all have customs at no extra cost :) 


Edited by hockey_magnet - 7/12/14 at 11:35am
post #4175 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

In my opinion, the massive isolation and SQ of the trufit foam makes them the best option, however they have a few significant downsides:

 

1) When you squish the foam it pops back to full size VERY quickly. Unlike the Olives where you roll them in your fingers and then have a few seconds to get them into place, with the Westone tips you gotta put 'em in IMMEDIATELY or they'll be "re-inflated" and you have to start again.

 

2) They're not tapered, so they just don't feel like they sit as far in the ear as others. I frequently found myself wiggling them around trying to get them in further where they "should" sit.

 

3) The material is VERY grippy, which means you do any kind of pushing or turning you can aggravate your ear. I actually had scabs after my first day, but it's good now.

 

Looking at the three tips, each one has something going for it and a big problem.

 

- Westone Silicons fit great and are comfortable, but lack isolation which probably makes you "feel" like they don't sound as good.

 

- Westone foams sound great and isolate, but they're finicky getting into place and can hurt after 2 hours or so (I listen for LONG sessions)

 

- Shure Olives fit great and isolate, but I'm still not sure about that wax guard, I'm not convinced that doesn't have an effect on the sound. Unfortunately A/B'ing earphone tips is almost impossible.

 

I agree with your observations on the Westone tips.  It can be tough to get those foams in quickly enough before they expand again but I love their comfort and isolation.  But for quick insertion when isolation isn't as necessary (or not desired, as when I need to be aware in the office) I go with the silicon tips.

post #4176 of 6814

Just an observation.  While all foam tips will ensure a good fit, they will surely dampen the treble and sharpness to a large degree.  The Westone "STAR" tips are the only silicone tip I have come across that still retains nice bass and warmth with little to no siblance associated with so many other silicone tips.  IMHO they are one of the greatest inventions in audio in the past few years. So versatile with so many other brands too.

post #4177 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

Just an observation.  While all foam tips will ensure a good fit, they will surely dampen the treble and sharpness to a large degree.  The Westone "STAR" tips are the only silicone tip I have come across that still retains nice bass and warmth with little to no siblance associated with so many other silicone tips.  IMHO they are one of the greatest inventions in audio in the past few years. So versatile with so many other brands too.

 

I feel the same way about the Star tips.  I normally stay away from silicon tips for the reason you mention but these are certainly an exception.

post #4178 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

Just an observation.  While all foam tips will ensure a good fit, they will surely dampen the treble and sharpness to a large degree.  The Westone "STAR" tips are the only silicone tip I have come across that still retains nice bass and warmth with little to no siblance associated with so many other silicone tips.  IMHO they are one of the greatest inventions in audio in the past few years. So versatile with so many other brands too.

 

Not always. The Westone and Shure foams don't, but holy crap the Comply tips ruin these. I think it's because of the coating on the former two.

 

Honestly the only reason I'm not always using the STAR tips is the isolation. They really do sound fantastic. 

post #4179 of 6814

I love the Star tips because I don't feel like I give up any sound, get a great seal and they are comfortable for days...YMMV.

post #4180 of 6814

Some say they can only take the 846 for short periods while other earphones they are able to listen to them for Hours well some cant handle it and I understand that.download (6).jpg

post #4181 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

Some say they can only take the 846 for short periods while other earphones they are able to listen to them for Hours well some cant handle it and I understand that.download (6).jpg

 

I'm fairly new to the 846 and  I agree I wouldn't exactly call them "relaxing", I tend to lower the volume a bit at times to compensate - but the sound is phenomenal - You can certainly adjust the sound with the filters and different tips so it shouldn't be a problem.

post #4182 of 6814

I'm curious if anybody has tried the lowest impedance cable possible with the lowest output impedance DAP(close to 0) and hear any difference from those that are higher.  :popcorn: 

post #4183 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_magnet View Post
 

 

I'm fairly new to the 846 and  I agree I wouldn't exactly call them "relaxing", I tend to lower the volume a bit at times to compensate - but the sound is phenomenal - You can certainly adjust the sound with the filters and different tips so it shouldn't be a problem.

Nice to hear that you are enjoying the 846 and exactly I didnt get them to be relaxing I got them to pump me up. I enjoy the sounds coming from the 846 it is so musical and detailed depending what I am focusing on.

post #4184 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

Some say they can only take the 846 for short periods while other earphones they are able to listen to them for Hours well some cant handle it and I understand that.

 

                  

post #4185 of 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Not always. The Westone and Shure foams don't, but holy crap the Comply tips ruin these. I think it's because of the coating on the former two.

 

Honestly the only reason I'm not always using the STAR tips is the isolation. They really do sound fantastic. 


Tried the Westone True fit foam - The isolation is definitely better than the STAR's but the STARS fit better, easier to put in, more comfortable and slightly more musical - The True Fit's sound like the Black Olives to me and they fit about the same (fiddly). Difference is they are MUCH easier to remove than the Shure's which I doubt I will ever use again..


Edited by hockey_magnet - 7/13/14 at 10:46am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread