or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 253

post #3781 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

I have not, so I can't say anything about them in comparison to one another. What I can say though is that even eyes closed and focusing hard I can't figure out where anything sounds like it's been lost. Maybe if I heard the IE800s a few more details would pop out at the top that I didn't have before, but then I'd lose that bass and I'd rather not trade bass I can feel for treble detail I can't. But again, that's largely thanks to musical tastes, or possibly a touch of hearing loss at the tippity top end of the spectrum thanks to years of metal concerts.

 

I've said it before that I'd rather feel like I'm listening at the front row than the back of the hall, which is a big factor in my opinion of these things. They sound like I'm hugging the amplifiers and man I just ADORE it, though I've got a feeling if I was hunting for expansive and roomy I'd be left wanting. I know some people have said these have a big soundstage, but (and this could easily be my stupid ears) I don't think they sound particularly "big". They sound "full" and I can locate each instrument clearly (which is really "imagining" rather than soundstage), but they don't sound far apart. 

 

The se 846's i found when listening does bring you forward to the stage and i wouldn't say it is a bad sound overal (as we said down to taste), but for me they are not as musical as the ie 800's, I compared between both iem's for a good 30 mins to make any sort of judgement. I think it would be awesome if you can try a pair of ie 800's and report back with what you think. Its funny its as if my hearing was condensed/closed when i listened to the se 846 for soundstage, Going back to ie 800 was just airy and open, the Vintage switch on the Hifiman HM901 definitely contributes to this - sounds lovely, so which portable player your using will factor in aswell.

post #3782 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
 

 

Just make sure you don't ever listen to any Tralucent IEM like the 1plus2 or the new Ref.1 and you will be OK....if you do you will have decisions to make guaranteed.

haha will look into, thanks :P


Edited by monoboy - 6/27/14 at 7:58am
post #3783 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post

Speaking of Luxury. It must be nice to have 18 year old ears with their almost new out of the box sensitivity. FWIW try listening Flat with no EQ with the filters  and then EQ as needed. You MIGHT (maybe possibly ..who knows but maybe) find yourself changing filters less often.

I have mentioned to Shure that a few more Filters would be niche. For me a Pale Blue b/w Blue and White and my Prog Rock and Floyd would be "just right".

Happy Listening
Monty
OT If I could borrow your fresh eardrums for a week or so I promise to return them in good working order (best efforts)

I've been avoiding EQ all together. The bass is impressive as it is. And Im sticking with blacks for now as I crave the bass but don't want the piercing highs when I crank the volume.

At first as I was like WOW these are incredible. They handle uncompressed (as in referring to a compressor in audio mixing, not the air tool or audio files) music very well and can really hear all the tracks In the audio. As I got more comfortable I started to loose the wow factor. But Its coming back the more I listen..

I'm using my clip + and its good but I might consider upgrading my source eventually.

I'm telling you guys the key to avoiding hearing loss with age is to eliminate ears all together. Wire directly into brain!!
Edited by Mitchell4500 - 6/27/14 at 8:03am
post #3784 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoboy View Post
 

Hey everyone!

 

Would like to share my experience with the SE 846's, just come back home from testing them at a local shop which sells them, thanks to the nice friendly chaps at Custom Cable.

I had my Sennheiser ie 800's and Hifiman 901 for testing & comparison (hm901 with iem amp board, with Vintage setting which sounds fabulous & natural, HD setting is too bright). I miss the over ear design of the ie 80's i had previous and thought id see if the 846's would be better for me.

 

I swapped the standard SE 846 tips with the yellowfoam tips which gave me a very sturdy seal and fit nicely into my ear canal, my ie 800's with small oval tips also gives a nice fit (best size for me) but much prefer over ear 846 fit, which is a plus.

 

Booting up my hm901 with anticipation I decided to test the 846 (standard natural filter) with something mixed well (balance mode on hm 901), Michael Jackson's Thriller album lossless, also contemporary dubstep and trance. First impression, disappointed, and did not change after continued listening.

 

I am amazed with peoples recommendation for the 846's I have read through, really built up my anticipation thinking they would most likely sound better then the ie 800's (and then walk out the shop with them), however, after just testing them I find this isnt the case. The treble on the 846 does not extend as further and smoothly as the ie 800's, se 846 treble is also grainy in comparison which does not sound 'expensive', the mid range is very strong and more 'in your face', not as lush and wide as the ie 800's (individual preference). The bottom end is punchier on the se 846's, but not as natural and textured as the ie 800's which I also find extends deeper. Soundstage on ie 800's beats the se 846's hands down, aswell as instrument separation (se 846's is a tighter sound but not as musical). Everything just sounds natural and balanced through the ie 800's

 

The nice gentleman who helped me at Custom Cable prefers the se 846 and we discussed this a little, with that I am very happy I walked away without them and as a result am so much more in love with the ie 800's now, just wish they were over ear design instead. Seriously anyone thinking buying a new iem should go test these out and the ie 800's (or any other iem within the price range) which you need to find out what will suit you the best, its all down to individual taste, but I am convinced that Sennheiser has created the greatest iem I have heard up till now. 

 

Thank you for reading.

I like Dynamic drivers as the 800 and I also like BA Drivers as the 846. I will say the 846 is one of the best BA earphone and the 800 is one of the beat Dynamic driven earphones out there.

post #3785 of 16761
Areas the SE846 is better than SE535:
- Bass extension
- bass quality and impact
- clarity of midrange
- EXTENSION of treble
- soundstage

Get the subwoofer description as obvious area of the signature though still a matter of perception (as a TH900 owner do not think that is particularly accurate label on SE846)

But the extra detail and layering - particularly in treble - is for my ears quite obvious. That is not to say Spyro cannot not hear and the prev member spot on by advising to save $1000
post #3786 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoboy View Post

Hey everyone!

Would like to share my experience with the SE 846's, just come back home from testing them at a local shop which sells them, thanks to the nice friendly chaps at Custom Cable.
I had my Sennheiser ie 800's and Hifiman 901 for testing & comparison (hm901 with iem amp board, with Vintage setting which sounds fabulous & natural, HD setting is too bright). I miss the over ear design of the ie 80's i had previous and thought id see if the 846's would be better for me.

I swapped the standard SE 846 tips with the yellowfoam tips which gave me a very sturdy seal and fit nicely into my ear canal, my ie 800's with small oval tips also gives a nice fit (best size for me) but much prefer over ear 846 fit, which is a plus.

Booting up my hm901 with anticipation I decided to test the 846 (standard natural filter) with something mixed well (balance mode on hm 901), Michael Jackson's Thriller album lossless, also contemporary dubstep and trance. First impression, disappointed, and did not change after continued listening.

I am amazed with peoples recommendation for the 846's I have read through, really built up my anticipation thinking they would most likely sound better then the ie 800's (and then walk out the shop with them), however, after just testing them I find this isnt the case. The treble on the 846 does not extend as further and smoothly as the ie 800's, se 846 treble is also grainy in comparison which does not sound 'expensive', the mid range is very strong and more 'in your face', not as lush and wide as the ie 800's (individual preference). The bottom end is punchier on the se 846's, but not as natural and textured as the ie 800's which I also find extends deeper. Soundstage on ie 800's beats the se 846's hands down, aswell as instrument separation (se 846's is a tighter sound but not as musical). Everything just sounds natural and balanced through the ie 800's

The nice gentleman who helped me at Custom Cable prefers the se 846 and we discussed this a little, with that I am very happy I walked away without them and as a result am so much more in love with the ie 800's now, just wish they were over ear design instead. Seriously anyone thinking buying a new iem should go test these out and the ie 800's (or any other iem within the price range) which you need to find out what will suit you the best, its all down to individual taste, but I am convinced that Sennheiser has created the greatest iem I have heard up till now. 

Thank you for reading.

Notice the man at Custom Cable, who has access to all the ToTL universals he sells, prefers the SE846. Res ipsa loquitur.
post #3787 of 16761

/delete


Edited by monoboy - 6/27/14 at 12:11pm
post #3788 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

Notice the man at Custom Cable, who has access to all the ToTL universals he sells, prefers the SE846. 

 

Quite a limitation to his access wouldn't you say, since there are many, many brands of TOTL IEM's that doesn't sell...:rolleyes:

post #3789 of 16761

If you ever find yourself accusing anyone who disagrees with you of bias, you're conceding the argument and should just back away from that entire line of discussion. 

post #3790 of 16761

I'm back from a short trip to Hong Kong.  I was really hoping to pick one of these up while I was there but it seemed to be out of stock on all of the official retailers I've visited there.  I did get to audition a pair for about 2 minutes.  That bass extension does get in-your-face at the start but after my brain adjusted, I finally got to hear everything else.  It does sound leagues ahead of my SE425 in every way.

 

Oh well... Maybe on December when I fly to Singapore I'll be able to snag a pair.

post #3791 of 16761

It does take a moment to wrap your brain around the bass power here because instinctively you're going to go "ugh the bass, these things are all unbalanced". Then you start listening and it's like "oh wait, these are perfectly balanced, the bass has just been brought up so it sounds on equal footing with the rest". 

 

Said it before and I'll say it again, the ear doesn't "hear" bass as readily as other frequencies. A 100dB tone at 35Hz may be rumbling and quaking, but 100dB at 5000Hz is going to be AGONIZINGLY loud. What happens with these is the bass guitar just becomes as powerful as the lead guitar, which can be a little disorienting if your former definition of "good bass" was that if you closed your eyes and concentrated you could tell that there's bass going on down there.

 

So many headphones I've tried where people raved about the bass had me listening to music and hearing that the bass was simply "audible". Cymbals crashed like crystal and vocals soared over the heavens, but the bass was just "there". Just because you are AWARE that the bass is present and it's providing a subconscious "filling in" effect doesn't mean it's doing what it should be.

 

Fire up an album by Primus or Tool and you'll hear what's going on. Les Claypool's bass slaps and stomps along the way it should and "My Name is Mud" or "Mr Krinkle" have such more heft than I've heard before. Bass is like the bastard child of the frequency spectrum when audiophiles talk, like it's role is to be felt but not heard, that the star of the show is the mids or the highs, and those should be screaming above all else. I'm glad someone made a true flagship that doesn't agree.

post #3792 of 16761

"Full Shells" just arrived.  Impressions to follow. :ksc75smile:

post #3793 of 16761
Far out the bass never ceases to amaze...

I am the sort of person who weeps for those who regard olives (the kind that can be stuffed with anchovies, not the ones that go in your ears) as the devil's droppings, so imagine how I weep for those who do not find pleasure most immense from the 846' bass.
post #3794 of 16761

Someone mentioned “graininess” with the 846 and HM-901. I had the HM-802 for a month (which is the same device with different dual DAC chips). The sound from the HM-802 was grainy with all of my Shure earphones. Granted, I didn't have the IEM amp card, but now (by one person's account) the IEM card wouldn't have made a difference. So thanks for that. It's just a bad pairing and really says nothing about the 846.

 

Think of the 846 as a package of lemonade drink mix that will make two quarts. Think of the HiFiMAN DAP as one cup of water. If you mix the two, the result is too tart and too wrong. And, we all know two wrongs don't make a right (sound). Okay, that was lame, but you get the picture (or rather you won't get a pitcher of lemonade out of those two). We also know not to place too much stock in brief auditions.


Edited by truckdriver - 6/27/14 at 4:15pm
post #3795 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post
 

....you get the picture (or rather you won't get a pitcher of lemonade out of those two).

 

Ok, ok.....now I'm thirsty as a mofo, so here everybody:

 

 

              

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread