Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 26

post #376 of 4812
I'm not sure. It's possible, but I have only tried the white and blue so far.

Dopaminer, welcome to the flaunting your wealth club just because we like to show how rich we are. (I'm not rich)
post #377 of 4812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

I noticed over at HeadRoom the measurements for them show that the black filter lowers the bass to make the overall sound signature closer to flat. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to change the filters to try this, but I wonder if that would have an equally good effect in some respects. 

 

3_filter_FR_graph.png

I hate to say it but it looks more like they lost seal in the measurement. That's Etymotic type bass and no one has reported that with any filter choice.

 

Remarkably similar to an hf2, isn't it?


Edited by goodvibes - 11/9/13 at 6:20am
post #378 of 4812
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

I hate to say it but it looks more like they lost seal in the measurement. That's Etymotic type bass and no one has reported that with any filter choice.

Remarkably similar to an hf2, isn't it?


I don't know, I believe someone did report that is how they sound. Plus in the other 846 thread someone said their 846 demo had less bass than the 846, but they don't know what filters they tried. I could always test them later.
post #379 of 4812

If they lost seal, wouldn't the rest of the FR graph be off too? Regardless, while I am the last person to ask about value, I do find them to be very good-sounding for an IEM and exceptionally well-made. They sound a touch more cohesive than my FitEar Parterres and I'd be keen to compare them to a pair of universal Roxannes actually. 

post #380 of 4812
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

I hate to say it but it looks more like they lost seal in the measurement. That's Etymotic type bass and no one has reported that with any filter choice.

 

Remarkably similar to an hf2, isn't it?

 

 

The Ety HF series is actually very bassy at the reference plane, with more impact than you'd expect from a BA based phone.

post #381 of 4812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalithian View Post


Dopaminer, welcome to the flaunting your wealth club just because we like to show how rich we are. (I'm not rich)

 

 

Ha !  I`m not rich either, and I`m even more not rich after today.  .    .   

post #382 of 4812
No, you're richer for having traded a useless abstraction for a new life experience. wink.gif
post #383 of 4812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperears View Post

No, you're richer for having traded a useless abstraction for a new life experience. wink.gif

 

 

Damn, I love Head-fi.

post #384 of 4812

Zalithian - great comparisons on the SE846.     In comparing W3 to it, would it be fair to say the bass qty and impact is similar but the SE846 is more linear (no mid bass spike)?   Does it have the same crispness and clarity of W3?

 

Not a big fan of W3 with any silicone tips (including star) but with P-series complys and a touch of treble eq I find it the best universal I have ever heard in my long list.....and I think the complys help make the mids more present but not so forward like the Shure.

 

Lastly, are the SE846 mids just as forward as SE535 which I find a bit too forward?   Thanks

post #385 of 4812

I would say you are accurate in regards to your bass comment but I'm not sure about the clarity. The clarity is definitely there but I'm thinking the treble is not quite as sparkly as on the W3 with the blue filters. With the white filters it's probably more similar in presentation with the W3 in regards to treble presentation. The mids are still forward but with the white filters they seem a tiny bit further back than on the 535's. Unfortunately I can't A/B anything you asked about since I sent the 535 LTD's back and I don't have the W3 now, just the UM Pro 30 (UM3X?). I think Flavio posted his comparison between the UM3X and 846 though, so it should give you some additional perspective if you haven't read it yet.

 

Actually, when I first heard the 846's I thought of you because of the bass. It did tone down a little but I imagine you'd quite like them with the blue or white filters. Hope you get a chance to demo them!

post #386 of 4812
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post
 

 

 

The Ety HF series is actually very bassy at the reference plane, with more impact than you'd expect from a BA based phone.

I've heard them. I wouldn't call them bassy in any range and quite like them. The filters in question shouldn't be able to affect the bass end but I obviously can't be Shure :wink_face:.

 

As for seal, it only takes a little to lose the bass and shouldn't affect the top much if at all like that. I'm sure we could find a graph where somebody has closed the front vent in a dynamic to show greater bass and little change elsewhere.

 

Found one. http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/11/sony-mdr-7550.html


Edited by goodvibes - 11/9/13 at 7:44pm
post #387 of 4812
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

I've heard them. I wouldn't call them bassy in any range and quite like them. The filters in question shouldn't be able to affect the bass end but I obviously can't be Shure :wink_face:. As for seal, it only takes a little to lose the bass and shouldn't affect the top much if at all like that. 

 

In terms of raw impact, I never once found them lacking...not even next to my ASG-2. Quantity and bloom is another story, but impact is great ...at the reference plane. That's when the bottom flange on the triples is barely visible.

post #388 of 4812

OK? We're talking bass quantity here and bassy is a quantitative description, not qualitative. I never said a hf 5 didn't have good bass quality and have only complimented them. Reference plane? Whose? Do you mean they sound better when you push them in further, LOL. I agree about the triples but don't enjoy wearing them. Don't really understand your point. Mine was that the bass should look the same on all 3 filters and the bass 'quantity' shouldn't be similar to an Ety. I haven't yet heard the Shure but suspect I'd find it a bit bass heavy.


Edited by goodvibes - 11/10/13 at 3:38am
post #389 of 4812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

If they lost seal, wouldn't the rest of the FR graph be off too? Regardless, while I am the last person to ask about value, I do find them to be very good-sounding for an IEM and exceptionally well-made. They sound a touch more cohesive than my FitEar Parterres and I'd be keen to compare them to a pair of universal Roxannes actually. 
Any comparisons between the 846 and parterre? Still deciding between this two.. Thanks for any help! : )
post #390 of 4812

If you're in Taiwan and wish to try them, now's the moment:

 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=519720271454847

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread