or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 244

post #3646 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post
 

Quote:


Cool and brave ....but Can I ask a stupid question? Why did your Mod/cut the silicone yourself.? Why did you not just pop them back to Sensaphonics to do it for you ?

 

You have 30 days+ to have them make adjustments.  Especially as they have all those high-speed grinders, polishers and such for the job..

When I was having fit issues with mine Sensaphonics was quite prepared to make adjustments.Claudia explained about all of the  toys they have about for doing some and such things. Ultimately Claudia and decided upon making new ones in "Full Shell" which it is believed will resolve my issues.

 

I applaud you for your daring. I for one feel I deserve a tickertape parade in NYC on July 4th just for changing the filters So this is something I would never try myself. This for me seems a job best left for those who do this for a living 

 

I am just asking and pointing out the option of having the SCS maker do the work for you all  for the price of a stamp.

Really thanks for the info, I was not aware that they will do it for me.. I should have pop it back to them.. dang.. I was holding my breath when I cut it with a sissors and then trim the rough edges. It was a simple job that took 2 mins. But if I knew they would do it for me with their professional equipment, I would really sent it back and ask them for a shorter tube.

 

Thanks for the tip.

post #3647 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post
 

Really thanks for the info, I was not aware that they will do it for me.. I should have pop it back to them.. dang.. I was holding my breath when I cut it with a sissors and then trim the rough edges. It was a simple job that took 2 mins. But if I knew they would do it for me with their professional equipment, I would really sent it back and ask them for a shorter tube.

 

Thanks for the tip.


You are a brave man. Sensaphonics will also keep your molds for you for 2 years so if you lose your SCS or need shells for different IEM (or even their CIEM).

 

I too ALMOST went for Black or Red. But I got to say beyond the practical of being able to see inside the SCS when putting them on the nozzle. I kind of dig the "flesh" Clear. It has that melding of Organic and Inorganic feel. Sort of like the Cylon Resurrection Tanks on BSG. And A lot like Cronenberg's Vision of Naked Lunch

 

About those cables? :)

post #3648 of 16761

Even if you asked Shure, they may just state the policy not to honor the warranty for non-authorized dealer sales.  In practice, they might be nice and honor it, but not sure you'd get a solid answer by asking ahead of time.

post #3649 of 16761
PM'd the poster. 
 
Pretty sure Proaudiostar will beat that price. Try their online chat, offer $700, and I bet you get it under $800. And they'r an authorized dealer. 

Edited by imackler - 6/24/14 at 1:26pm
post #3650 of 16761

Is anyone able to comment on how the bass of the SE846 compares to that of the Sennheiser IE80? I've tried the IE800 and found myself liking the IE80's sound more...

post #3651 of 16761

Black/blue/clear is on its way to me. Or, I should say, on its way to Sensaphonics so they can make it and send it to me.

 

It's haaaaaaappeniiiiiiin'.

post #3652 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post
 

Ok, after owning this sleeves for a while, I have since modified the length of the tube so it is not as intruding into the ear canal, which means they are easier to take in and out (just like a normal ear tip), is more comfortable and brought some air back. I have to conclude they are really the best tips for your SE846 and I am a big fan of westone star tips and comply foam but the silicon blew them apart and here's why;

 

 

Notice that its way shorter now- easy in and out.

 

1) Before using these silicon, Comply and Weston star tips are about the best I can pull the sub bass out of SE846, now with this silicon thing, the sub bass becomes very obvious (at least +2 or more) and the mid bass (+2). The impact is so awesome, so good I can feel the vibration of the drums slamming into me.. u know that kind of impact when you stand next to a floor standing speaker, it felt like that.. I have turn the SE846 more into the TG334 bass qty but still maintain the lovely Sub woofer that we all came to love in the first place.

 

2) The treble is slightly reduce, but now with a shorter bore, the treble came back a little, I decided to cut away some tip after careful studying of other CIEM. The original one is too long, it stick deep into the canal and take too much effort to pop in and out. With a shorter bore, its more airier and pop in and out is as easy as using comply now. I can now chit chat with people without getting all frustrated. I have always stick to white filter, so for people who find it slightly treblely, the silicon completely cut off all sibilance yet still have more treble than blue filter. Its like in between white and blue. very very nicely balance on the treble. I suspect lot of people will love it.

 

3) With comply, its about the most comfortable tip I can find, now with this modified silicon tip, the comfort level goes beyond comfort, as one cannot feel the silicon anymore after 15mins. The silicon becomes your skin and your skin is the silicon, you can't distinguished them apart after a while. To bring the feeling back, I need to physically touch the tip. That is really really awesome..

 

4) The vocal which is already so lush and romantic, is now even more so with silicon. It feels even more body and intimate now. Male vocal sound more chesty and female is so intimate now. The effect can best be describe like this. Put on an ibud stock earphone (old version) and then push them deep into your ear canal, the vocal and bass start to get heavier and treble reduce slightly. The comply to Silicon felt exactly like that.. very nice. Dun try to push the 846 with comply deeper to experiment it, it wont work as there is not much diff, it needs to be a loose seal and a solid seal differences.

 

5) The Se846 with comply offer about the best isolation, I can still hear rubbing fingers next to my ears. With Silicon, I can't hear any rubbing fingers .. none. Its a very quiet world with silicon, I dun think you can hear baby cry in airplane at all even at low volume. Don't get me wrong, you can still hear people talking perfectly well when music stop, it just more quieter than comply foam.

 

 

 

6) With silicon, I have no fear of it wearing off like comply.. we all know comply dun last long, especially in hot weather, this little silicon withstand much daily wear and tear very well. Look at the above pic, its like new and all I did was to rinse it in the basin with water

 

7) I find that adding some hand moisturizer on the silicon facilitate easy in and out of my ear, there is less twisting up and down when putting on, with a shorter bore, I align the opening and twist it in once and then push inward alittle.. the seal is solid.

 

8) Sound stage becomes a bigger bubble overall. It feels a little taller (like church tall) but the width (left and right) remains unchanged. Experiment it yourself  with stock Ibud, push in with finger into your ear canal and the sound stage has more "music per sq inch"

 

9) The fit is perfect and seal will not break if you eat, walk, yawn, talk, smile. Super solid.

 

10) Bad thing now is it had a vacuum effect, pop in too fast, eardrum immediately felt the pressure.- NOt good.. 

 

Ok, I have list 10 reasons on the pros and cons. One caution note, I am not responsible for modifying the silicon if you over cut it and loose the seal. Its a risk in any DIY project and you may stand to loose the entire tip. Cut at your own risk.. for me, its worth the cut. I will not use it in its original form as it too much hassle to take in and out, and I dun like that feeling of having something so long pushing deep into the ear canal... never get used to it. So I cut it and it works perfectly now.

 

I will have to agree with Mr. Burns on this one as well.  I believe cutting the tips of the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves (I assume those are what you have) are not recommended.  You will void the warranty, and if you do not achieve the perfect seal with the snipped tips, you will instantly be out at least $200 (for me all expenses were over $300).  Claudia is great and she is having the company remake Mr. Burns' and my Sensaphonics Custom "Regular" Sleeves into new "Full Shells" for free.  The remakes will more than likely bode better for comfort and overall retention and fit.

 

I'm not sure if using hand moisturizer is recommended as well because the oils of certain (most) hand moisturizers will break down the silicone sleeves in a negative manner.  To moisturize the custom sleeve ear canal tips, please use your own saliva, or better yet, ear mold lubrication drops Oto-Ease, here's the link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Oto-Ease-Earmold-Lubricant/dp/B00GNIQV6U

 

Glad you are enjoying your custom sleeves though, I would have fainted cutting the sleeve tips.  I felt a little antsy when I cut the memory wire out of the stock Shure SE846 cable, but I used the shorter cable as a guinea pig, and if I did make a mistake, I was only out about $35 for a new one.

post #3653 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedawg140 View Post
 

 

I will have to agree with Mr. Burns on this one as well.  I believe cutting the tips of the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves (I assume those are what you have) are not recommended.  You will void the warranty, and if you do not achieve the perfect seal with the snipped tips, you will instantly be out at least $200 (for me all expenses were over $300).  Claudia is great and she is having the company remake Mr. Burns' and my Sensaphonics Custom "Regular" Sleeves into new "Full Shells" for free.  The remakes will more than likely bode better for comfort and overall retention and fit.

 

I'm not sure if using hand moisturizer is recommended as well because the oils of certain (most) hand moisturizers will break down the silicone sleeves in a negative manner.  To moisturize the custom sleeve ear canal tips, please use your own saliva, or better yet, ear mold lubrication drops Oto-Ease, here's the link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Oto-Ease-Earmold-Lubricant/dp/B00GNIQV6U

 

Glad you are enjoying your custom sleeves though, I would have fainted cutting the sleeve tips.  I felt a little antsy when I cut the memory wire out of the stock Shure SE846 cable, but I used the shorter cable as a guinea pig, and if I did make a mistake, I was only out about $35 for a new one.

 

wow.. I did not know there is a lub for custom sleeves and I have been using moisturizer.. great find. 

 

Also what is the diff between regular and full shell. Does it have shorter tube? you got me all interested about the full shell.

post #3654 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post
 

 

 

 

About those cables? :)

 

Moon Audio silver dragon..  

post #3655 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

Black/blue/clear is on its way to me. Or, I should say, on its way to Sensaphonics so they can make it and send it to me.

 

It's haaaaaaappeniiiiiiin'.

Nice color choice!  This is the color you are getting:

 

 

I was contemplating for a while whether I was going to get one of the swirls.  If I got one, I would have probably gotten red/white/blue (patriotic I suppose):

 

 

I wound up not getting the swirls because ultimately I didn't want people staring at my ears, trying to decipher "What the heck is in your ears?"  At least with the solid crystal colors, I can give them a better shot of knowing what's in my ears.  That said, the black/blue/clear is a very nice combination, and I bet will look really nice once it's seen in person.  Can't wait for pics!

post #3656 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post
 

 

wow.. I did not know there is a lub for custom sleeves and I have been using moisturizer.. great find. 

 

Also what is the diff between regular and full shell. Does it have shorter tube? you got me all interested about the full shell.

Mr. Burns found/received it first, gotta give credit where credit is due.  He received that when he received his custom sleeves, and I...just got the custom sleeves (we went through different audiologists).

 

Here's my review of the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves: http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846

 

This explains everything...but to answer your question, no, the custom sleeves, in regular and full have the exact same ear canal tube/tip, as both are made to go past the second bend of your ear canal for unrivaled seal and isolation.


Edited by moedawg140 - 6/24/14 at 2:16pm
post #3657 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post
 

 

Moon Audio silver dragon..  

And the slippery slope gets slipperier

post #3658 of 16761
Quote:

Originally Posted by moedawg140 View Post

 

Here's my review of the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves: http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846

 

The Shure wax guards fits over diameter of SE846 nozzle? Thought they were E2 model only as for that entry Shure used a wider nozzle (or something). Thanks

post #3659 of 16761

I wonder if I'm alone in being sort of "mentally unable" to use wax guards because even though I know damn well they don't affect anything I have this psychological barrier that says "NO, NOTHING BETWEEN ME AND THE SOUND".

post #3660 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post
 

 

The Shure wax guards fits over diameter of SE846 nozzle? Thought they were E2 model only as for that entry Shure used a wider nozzle (or something). Thanks

They are supposed to be for the E2 model only, but the the wax guards are larger diameter than the other Shure nozzles, so they fit in a way where the edges of the wax guards covered the sides of the nozzle.  I was desperate during that time because I did not want my earphones cutting out on me ever again.  The Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves are the best "wax guard" because the custom sleeve's nozzle bore is so long and is curved, that there is no way sweat/liquid can get into the Shure SE846's nozzle to interfere with the dampers (or without regarding the white filters).


Edited by moedawg140 - 6/25/14 at 1:46am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread