Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 231

post #3451 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

LOL is it weird that I'm proud that I got front-paged? I feel like it's my first moment of being like, a legit audiophile in terms of my opinions being at least somewhat coherent. 

I thought the same about headphones vs IEMs. Even when, years ago, I stuck with cheaper IEMs (Etymotic MC5, Shure SE215, Klipsch S4), I recognized that they weren't as capable as their big siblings, but liked the convenience. When I started buying "real" headphones, a journey that started with the Audio Technica A700 and ended with the Pandora Hope VI, my belief in that was only solidified. 

I haven't dabbled with much by way of dubstep/trance, but what I have heard (and I get my EDM from a British friend who's huge into the scene so I don't mean Skrillex) sounds crazy. I mean like, standing in a rave hall crazy. I still put on hip hop and when I get the songs that make the subs in my car slam, these do the same. Then when it's time for the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, any hint of bass elevation is gone. That's the magic of the quad driver.

My music of choice is metal, as I've said before. These IEMs are as close to being at a live show as I can imagine an IEM being. I started laughing listening to a few tracks because it didn't even make sense how powerful the bass was while still sounding wholly separate from the other instruments. 

Fiio e17? Dude I play these straight out of a Macbook Pro and a Nexus 5. The N5 needs a volume boost but it's got a really quiet sound card. The volume never goes up to 50% on the MB. That e17 will do wonders. 

The main catch is, well, they're IEM's. They just will not have that "head-hugging" sound of big cans. If you can't get the fit right you have to mess with the pieces until you get it. If your skin is sensitive the foams are gonna hurt. You'll find yourself tapping and fiddling with the earpieces every so often just to make sure they're sitting right in case you hear any imbalances. All the normal little niggling problems with IEMs. The cable's also not my favorite, I'd really, REALLY prefer a nice light braided one that didn't try to have a "memory" aspect. Sonically there are no drawbacks to my ear. None. The only drawbacks to these are the inherent drawbacks of being an IEM.

10 bitcoins? Sure deal! biggrin.gif  

Hey, I'm proud for you hitting the head-fi home page - it backs up what I've said before - you got intelligent debate, and now you got intelligent and meaningful impressions of a product it's clear you love (and been pimping hard - lol biggrin.gif)

I was kinda hoping you'd say these IEM's would be crud on the genres I mentioned - mainly to save my wallet, which is now in a cold sweat and reaching for the whiskey eek.gif

Thanks bro, keep up the good work smily_headphones1.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
imagejpg1-44.jpg

Edited by cb3723 - 6/19/14 at 9:01pm
post #3452 of 5566

What I mean by tamed the bass I mean made all three more even  more neutral but the bass is strong and if the track requires the bass to take over it does.

post #3453 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

LOL is it weird that I'm proud that I got front-paged? I feel like it's my first moment of being like, a legit audiophile in terms of my opinions being at least somewhat coherent. 

 

I thought the same about headphones vs IEMs. Even when, years ago, I stuck with cheaper IEMs (Etymotic MC5, Shure SE215, Klipsch S4), I recognized that they weren't as capable as their big siblings, but liked the convenience. When I started buying "real" headphones, a journey that started with the Audio Technica A700 and ended with the Pandora Hope VI, my belief in that was only solidified. 

 

I haven't dabbled with much by way of dubstep/trance, but what I have heard (and I get my EDM from a British friend who's huge into the scene so I don't mean Skrillex) sounds crazy. I mean like, standing in a rave hall crazy. I still put on hip hop and when I get the songs that make the subs in my car slam, these do the same. Then when it's time for the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, any hint of bass elevation is gone. That's the magic of the quad driver.

 

My music of choice is metal, as I've said before. These IEMs are as close to being at a live show as I can imagine an IEM being. I started laughing listening to a few tracks because it didn't even make sense how powerful the bass was while still sounding wholly separate from the other instruments. 

 

Fiio e17? Dude I play these straight out of a Macbook Pro and a Nexus 5. The N5 needs a volume boost but it's got a really quiet sound card. The volume never goes up to 50% on the MB. That e17 will do wonders. 

 

The main catch is, well, they're IEM's. They just will not have that "head-hugging" sound of big cans. If you can't get the fit right you have to mess with the pieces until you get it. If your skin is sensitive the foams are gonna hurt. You'll find yourself tapping and fiddling with the earpieces every so often just to make sure they're sitting right in case you hear any imbalances. All the normal little niggling problems with IEMs. The cable's also not my favorite, I'd really, REALLY prefer a nice light braided one that didn't try to have a "memory" aspect. Sonically there are no drawbacks to my ear. None. The only drawbacks to these are the inherent drawbacks of being an IEM.

 

10 bitcoins? Sure deal! :D 

Hey SomeGuyDude,

 

The Shure SE846 may have fit and skin-sensitivity issues, but all of that is alleviated with the use of the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves.  Please check out my review for them if you haven't read it yet.  The review also has a way to take care of that memory wire that can be a pain/annoying to deal with.  And everything you have described (quite eloquently, I may say) regarding the musicality of the Shure SE846 will be heightened to a new level if you choose to invest in the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves.  Here's the link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846

post #3454 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

LOL is it weird that I'm proud that I got front-paged? I feel like it's my first moment of being like, a legit audiophile in terms of my opinions being at least somewhat coherent. 

 

Congrats, my friend.  You are now head-fi royality.  Good job.

post #3455 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

What Year did Ultimate ears start? 1995 thats after 1980s. Maybe Ultimate ears was one that put multiple drivers while Future Sonics used 1 Dynamic driver in the 80s.

 

Future Sonics was established 1991, was Ear Monitors before that and Crystal Sound before that.

Future Sonics Trivia: they actually made the drivers for the Sennheiser IE3, circa 2002.

 

Ultimate Ears started in 1995 by Alex Van Halen's sound engineer.

 

Shure...remember Shure, the audio company that makes an IEM called SE846, was established in 1925.

 

There will be a quiz on Monday.

post #3456 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
 

 

Future Sonics was established 1991, was Ear Monitors before that and Crystal Sound before that.

Future Sonics Trivia: they actually made the drivers for the Sennheiser IE3, circa 2002.

 

Ultimate Ears started in 1995 by Alex Van Halen's sound engineer.

 

Shure...remember Shure, the audio company that makes an IEM called SE846, was established in 1925.

 

There will be a quiz on Monday.

Nice and again I am all for Shure but Shure makes many things so ok 1925 Shure started making what? I am talking about in ear monitors.

post #3457 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedawg140 View Post
 

Hey SomeGuyDude,

 

The Shure SE846 may have fit and skin-sensitivity issues, but all of that is alleviated with the use of the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves.  Please check out my review for them if you haven't read it yet.  The review also has a way to take care of that memory wire that can be a pain/annoying to deal with.  And everything you have described (quite eloquently, I may say) regarding the musicality of the Shure SE846 will be heightened to a new level if you choose to invest in the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves.  Here's the link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846

 

Nice! I'm liking the look of those. Think that might be my next stop...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post


Hey, I'm proud for you hitting the head-fi home page - it backs up what I've said before - you got intelligent debate, and now you got intelligent and meaningful impressions of a product it's clear you love (and been pimping hard - lol biggrin.gif)

I was kinda hoping you'd say these IEM's would be crud on the genres I mentioned - mainly to save my wallet, which is now in a cold sweat and reaching for the whiskey eek.gif

Thanks bro, keep up the good work smily_headphones1.gif
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
imagejpg1-44.jpg

 

Haha, that's awesome.

 

And yeah, sorry dude. These things are diesel no matter what you throw at 'em. Purely sound for sound I can't rank them above my precious Pandoras, but just for the ability to swap plugs and head out into the world, as well as hop in bed with them in and not have to fiddle... I'm not sure I'm gonna have much use for the big boys. Still holding on for a bit, but I'm feeling like they'll be getting re-homed soon. 

post #3458 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

Nice and again I am all for Shure but Shure makes many things so ok 1925 Shure started making what? I am talking about in ear monitors.

 

Microphones first. Ear monitors started around 1997.

post #3459 of 5566

Burtomr -  You got your information from this?  In Ear Monitor systems were pioneered in the early-'80s by Marty Garcia of Future Sonics as a solution for vocal fatigue and stress on musicians' ears from excessively loud stage volumes.] His first custom-fit earphones were created for  Todd Rundgren   in 1982. In 1985 the Ear Monitor Brand was launched. Also in 1985, Todd Rundgren’s  Utopia Tour was the first wedge-less stage with all members wearing FS Ear MonitorsBrand.   Future Sonics Ear Monitors Brand was awarded the TEC Award for Sound Reinforcement Product of the Year in 1992. In 2002, Future Sonics was the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) of the IE3 earphones for Sennheiser USA included with its original Evolution Wireless Systems. That same year, Future Sonics’ Ears EM3, universal earphones, were nominated for a TEC Award. In 2009, Future Sonics marked its 17th year working with the band U2 .

post #3460 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

You got your information from this?

 

No way!......I just knew it from years of experience (lol)....:cool:   (LINK)

post #3461 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
 

 

No way!......I just knew it from years of experience (lol)....:cool:   (LINK)

Well I added more of their History on in ear monitors for you.

post #3462 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

Well I added more of their History on in ear monitors for you.

 

Thank you!

 

Food for thought: is reciting history considered plagiarism if you copy it from somewhere else?

 

                                   

post #3463 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
 

 

Thank you!

 

Food for thought: is reciting history considered plagiarism if you copy it from somewhere else?

 

                                   

Yes not my words all official words from WIKI.

post #3464 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

Yes not my words all official words from WIKI.

No money made by the use of English words.

post #3465 of 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post

 

Food for thought: is reciting history considered plagiarism if you copy it from somewhere else?

                                   

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

Yes not my words all official words from WIKI.

 

Note: This is all meant in fun....please don't 'miller out' on me...;)

 

I think copying history word-for-word, like cut & paste IS plagerisim, but re-stating History in your own words (no matter how corny) is NOT plagerisim. But I am no teacher.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread