or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 215

post #3211 of 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

So the silicon tips isolates better? Increases the bass? How about the treble?

I'm assuming you mean the Sensaphonics silicone custom sleeves.  The custom sleeves are custom molds of your own ears, inside the second bend of your ear canals and out, so yes, they...isolate better. ;)

 

Better isolation means everything is more pronounced through the whole audio spectrum, lows, mids, and highs.  I will use the word "felt" instead of "increase".  You actually feel the music more, very difficult to quantify.  But once I get my review posted, everything will be much more in depth.

post #3212 of 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

My own Sensaphonics sleeves arrive next week - by Wed or Thu, i reckon, if Fedex has their compost together.   Claudia @ Sensaphonics rocks.

That seems to be the consensus. Look up CS in the dictionary and you will see her name and picture (so there is no confusion who the real deal is).

 

Patient to a fault. You got to be when you are dealing with me....She must have thought my last nane was Gump or Fudd OR some kind of simpleton mystery shopper

post #3213 of 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedawg140 View Post

....  Let's just say, so far, so good, but soon, it should change to so far, so great!

Very cloak and dagger I am eager to see what this mystery change is.... Neural interface maybe? no hint?

 

You are right about feeling the music. at volumes I can physically feel it (probably not a good thing (great for the audiologist she will be hooking me up to hearing aids..... (Worth it! Hell hearing is going to drop off with age anyway just like sight. Use it while you got it.

 

But what if I lose my critical hearing before the next Bieber album I would be devastated.

post #3214 of 16771

 

Star Of A Story (by Heatwave) is just the latest example of why I don't like the 846 and DX90 pairing. I first heard this song on my neighbor's Marantz system in the late 1970s. I remember the double beats of the bass-drum shaking the floor because of his huge towering speakers (that were taller than I was at the time). On the DX90, the bass drum is weak and panned right (at ear level) with part of the vocals and music in the same area. The bass-line is panned left and crammed in with the other part of the vocals and music. It's like watching a 3D HDTVs that's out of focus without the 3D glasses. The soundstage (I'm get with the DX90) is suffocating. It's so tiny and lacking in detail, separation, and energy

 

On the Note 3 (with V4A) the vocals are almost overhead and deep (wide right and left). The bass-line and bass-drum are only slightly off center at throat level. And, the throat rattling bass drum is heavy enough to fill the bottom of the entire soundstage. Everything seemed to be in the right place (with good layering and depth).

 

The song sounded weird on the DX90. On the Note 3 , it took me back (Ratatouille style) to the late 1970s. It's time to gather the DX90's included cables (and whatnot) to ship it back from which it came.

post #3215 of 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post
 

That seems to be the consensus. Look up CS in the dictionary and you will see her name and picture (so there is no confusion who the real deal is).

 

Patient to a fault. You got to be when you are dealing with me....She must have thought my last nane was Gump or Fudd OR some kind of simpleton mystery shopper

Hey, she must have thought I was Ralph or Homer (who is actually pretty smart!) as well with the various questions I was asking her.  I was glad that she blamed the fit issue on human error shaving off too much material and didn't ask the obvious question to me "did you make sure to push the sleeves all of the way in?"  

post #3216 of 16771

So I take it then that is one vote for the F5  X5 over the DX90.

 

Thank you Truckdriver .


Edited by Monty Burns - 6/13/14 at 12:51pm
post #3217 of 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post
 

Very cloak and dagger I am eager to see what this mystery change is.... Neural interface maybe? no hint?

 

You are right about feeling the music. at volumes I can physically feel it (probably not a good thing (great for the audiologist she will be hooking me up to hearing aids..... (Worth it! Hell hearing is going to drop off with age anyway just like sight. Use it while you got it.

 

But what if I lose my critical hearing before the next Bieber album I would be devastated.

Yes, muhahahahaaaaaa! (Eeevil laugh). Just kidding.  Well, you have the explanation of what I'm doing in your PM box.  Now you have the choice/option to do what I'm in the process of doing.  Free of charge as well, just to let you know.  Heh...:popcorn:

post #3218 of 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post
 

 

Star Of A Story (by Heatwave) is just the latest example of why I don't like the 846 and DX90 pairing. I first heard this song on my neighbor's Marantz system in the late 1970s. I remember the double beats of the bass-drum shaking the floor because of his huge towering speakers (that were taller than I was at the time). On the DX90, the bass drum is weak and panned right (at ear level) with part of the vocals and music in the same area. The bass-line is panned left and crammed in with the other part of the vocals and music. It's like watching a 3D HDTVs that's out of focus without the 3D glasses. The soundstage (I'm get with the DX90) is suffocating. It's so tiny and lacking in detail, separation, and energy

 

On the Note 3 (with V4A) the vocals are almost overhead and deep (wide right and left). The bass-line and bass-drum are only slightly off center at throat level. And, the throat rattling bass drum is heavy enough to fill the bottom of the entire soundstage. Everything seemed to be in the right place (with good layering and depth).

 

The song sounded weird on the DX90. On the Note 3 , it took me back (Ratatouille style) to the late 1970s. It's time to gather the DX90's included cables (and whatnot) to ship it back from which it came.

Wow, I read nothing but praises for the DX90...good to have your insight on the device, as well as everything else you've mentioned in your previous posts!  If I was to get a new DAP (if I had the money of course) I would buy 3 or 4 of the most talked about, interesting DAPs, like the AK120, DX90 or higher, the ZX1 and the X5 and do a week long test (probably wouldn't take me more than a day to figure out which I liked the best).  Then I would return all but the one I liked the best and call it a day! 

post #3219 of 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

So the silicon tips isolates better? Increases the bass? How about the treble?

This just a follow up from the W50/W60 thread.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedawg140 View Post
 

Wow, I read nothing but praises for the DX90...good to have your insight on the device, as well as everything else you've mentioned in your previous posts!  If I was to get a new DAP (if I had the money of course) I would buy 3 or 4 of the most talked about, interesting DAPs, like the AK120, DX90 or higher, the ZX1 and the X5 and do a week long test (probably wouldn't take me more than a day to figure out which I liked the best).  Then I would return all but the one I liked the best and call it a day! 

Earlier today I compared the DX90LO > Vorzuge Pure ii > Dita Answers to the  DX90LO > Pure ii > SE846 with HL silver litz cable...

Personally I much preferred the Ditas.  The bass was better controlled,  more dynamic, just as deep, and the soundstage was much better than the SE846.  The Dita had a much airier sound to me.

 

Here is where it get interesting to me... Since getting the DX90 I had always preferred the SE-846 with my Fiio X5, so it would have been a more fair comparison if I had used the DX90 with Dita and Fiio X5 with SE846 based on my preference....

 

I decided to try my Dita out of the X5 later on in the day and here is what I found:

X5LO > Pure ii > Answers;  I found that I didn't care for the sound as much with this combination, for the same reasons I didn't care for the SE846 out of the DX90. 

So I switched to the X5LO >Pure ii > SE846 with silver cable, and found that the sound was much more comparable to the Ditas with the DX90, but with a slightly warmer tone.

 

IMO, I find I prefer the Dita with the DX90 and the SE846 with the Fiio X5.  

I also understand that some people might have the opposite opinion of me and prefer the DX90 and SE846 together, as many people have different preferences... I feel that if you can, try different combos and see what you prefer, because the earphones you like with one DAP, you might not like with the other and what works for one person might not work for the other.


Edited by Dave74 - 6/13/14 at 1:24pm
post #3220 of 16771
Just joined the 846 club! I immediately put on Westone Star tips. Any tips or pointers to maximize my Shure 846 experience?
post #3221 of 16771

I'm not voting for the X5. I've never tried it. I'm not planning on trying it because I don't know what it uniquely brings to the table (relative to the 846) and user experience.

 

The Sony ZX1 is the more interesting of the boutique DAPs, I've tried. It puts stronger priority on frequencies panned to the right and left whereas most other players have better clarity in the center. It's not trying to be an all-in-one that can drive your full-size headphones as well as your IEM.

 

Perhaps the new AK line will be worth a look since it features Android. Maybe it will be hacked to allow software from the huge brain-trust of people who have been working on software players and DSP development in the Android environment for years. Why exclude those options? I'd rather exclude the boutique DAPs than limit my choice of sound to only the one decided by HiFiMAN, FiiO, iBasso, or whoever.

 

I'm casting my vote for a hackable Android device that will let you install any number of music players and digital sound processors. It's about software development (IMO). I don't think it's about putting together hardware pieces ( like brand named dual DAC configurations and more powerful headphone amps), particularly to drive an earphone like the 846.

 

As for the DX90, it is a fine portable player. For those who like to plug their headphones up to the jack and press play, the DX90 is better than most smartphones (I've heard) with stock software (including the Note 3). It hasn't crashed once since I've had it. It gets a little slow at times. There's a popping noise when the amp comes on. It has very little hiss (not even worth mentioning). It's quieter than the ZX1 (in that regard).

 

Whereas the DX90 sounds a little better than my iPod Touch 5G (using stock player). I'd choose the Touch 5G (with Onkyo player) over the DX90. The Touch can do many more things and is very stable, fast, and less expensive. These boutique DAP makers are wasting my time (and I'm going to stop letting them). The Note 3 (with V4A and Poweramp) sounds better than all the DAPs I've tried to date (while doing everything from phones calls, internet, text messaging, taking pictures, GPS, etc (using 30 to 50 percent battery per day).

 

There is no comparison between the DX90, HiFiMAN HM-802, Sony ZX1, FiiO X3 with the 846 versus the third party software on the Note 3 (namely Viper4Android). If someone is talking about sub-bass with any of the above boutique DAPs, they don't know what they are talking about. They don't know what sub-bass is because it is not coming out of those devices at audible levels.


Edited by truckdriver - 6/13/14 at 2:05pm
post #3222 of 16771

I was being Glib, Yours was the first less than positive comment I heard re the DX90 with the 8s.

 

Me I just one something better than my iPod.

I really like the Sony BUT for now Japan is not casting its gaze and good stuff at North America it looks good  Design has always been a stron suit of SONY and has to be better than the iPoD and I have a soft spot for them..

 

Your vote is re the boutique DAPs none of the above.

 

I think I shall wait to see if SONY brings the ZX1 to NA. Who knows maybe apple will make a next gen iPod that is worth having.

 

I am patient especially when the toy has new buttons and workings to figure out.

 

8s easy put them on jack in and go,

post #3223 of 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post
 

This just a follow up from the W50/W60 thread.

 

Earlier today I compared the DX90LO > Vorzuge Pure ii > Dita Answers to the  DX90LO > Pure ii > SE846 with HL silver litz cable...

Personally I much preferred the Ditas.  The bass was better controlled,  more dynamic, just as deep, and the soundstage was much better than the SE846.  The Dita had a much airier sound to me.

 

Here is where it get interesting to me... Since getting the DX90 I had always preferred the SE-846 with my Fiio X5, so it would have been a more fair comparison if I had used the DX90 with Dita and Fiio X5 with SE846 based on my preference....

 

I decided to try my Dita out of the X5 later on in the day and here is what I found:

X5LO > Pure ii > Answers;  I found that I didn't care for the sound as much with this combination, for the same reasons I didn't care for the SE846 out of the DX90. 

So I switched to the X5LO >Pure ii > SE846 with silver cable, and found that the sound was much more comparable to the Ditas with the DX90, but with a slightly warmer tone.

 

IMO, I find I prefer the Dita with the DX90 and the SE846 with the Fiio X5.  

I also understand that some people might have the opposite opinion of me and prefer the DX90 and SE846 together, as many people have different preferences... I feel that if you can, try different combos and see what you prefer, because the earphones you like with one DAP, you might not like with the other and what works for one person might not work for the other.

Those are great findings, Dave74!  I definitely feel trying as many different combinations out there is key to your own personal bliss.  Since we have the ability to change filters/mod them as well, the sound signatures can definitely seem "endless", but having those options to tweak the sound signature to our liking is probably why Shure SE846 users really love them, because they are suited to what we feel sound the best.

post #3224 of 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post
 

I'm not voting for the X5. I've never tried it. I'm not planning on trying it because I don't know what it uniquely brings to the table (relative to the 846) and user experience.

 

The Sony ZX1 is the more interesting of the boutique DAPs, I've tried. It puts stronger priority on frequencies panned to the right and left whereas most other players have better clarity in the center. It's not trying to be an all-in-one that can drive your full-size headphones as well as your IEM.

 

Perhaps the new AK line will be worth a look since it features Android. Maybe it will be hacked to allow software from the huge brain-trust of people who have been working on software players and DSP development in the Android environment for years. Why exclude those options? I'd rather exclude the boutique DAPs than limit my choice of sound to only the one decided by HiFiMAN, FiiO, iBasso, or whoever.

 

I'm casting my vote for a hackable Android device that will let you install any number of music players and digital sound processors. It's about software development (IMO). I don't think it's about putting together hardware pieces ( like brand named dual DAC configurations and more powerful headphone amps), particularly to drive an earphone like the 846.

 

As for the DX90, it is a fine portable player. For those who like to plug their headphones up to the jack and press play, the DX90 is better than most smartphones (I've heard) with stock software (including the Note 3). It hasn't crashed once since I've had it. It gets a little slow at times. There's a popping noise when the amp comes on. It has very little hiss (not even worth mentioning). It's quieter than the ZX1 (in that regard).

 

Whereas the DX90 sounds a little better than my iPod Touch 5G (using stock player). I'd choose the Touch 5G (with Onkyo player) over the DX90. The Touch can do many more things and is very stable, fast, and less expensive. These boutique DAP makers are wasting my time (and I'm going to stop letting them). The Note 3 (with V4A and Poweramp) sounds better than all the DAPs I've tried to date (while doing everything from phones calls, internet, text messaging, taking pictures, GPS, etc (using 30 to 50 percent battery per day).

 

There is no comparison between the DX90, HiFiMAN HM-802, Sony ZX1, FiiO X3 with the 846 versus the third party software on the Note 3 (namely Viper4Android). If someone is talking about sub-bass with any of the above boutique DAPs, they don't know what they are talking about. They don't know what sub-bass is because it is not coming out of those devices at audible levels.

I am definitely with you, in this regard, truckdriver.  I personally use an iPhone 5, and found pretty quickly that just having the right software (media player) drastically elevates (or brings down) the music that we adore, by spending a little bit of time changing the settings to our liking.  I feel that my music that comes out of favorite media player on my iPhone 5 is just as good as the dedicated DAPs I have tried (I have not tried any of the very expensive, newer ones yet).

post #3225 of 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy812 View Post

Just joined the 846 club! I immediately put on Westone Star tips. Any tips or pointers to maximize my Shure 846 experience?

Yes, get the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves!  Just kidding, you don't have to get them to maximize your Shure SE846 experience, but they sure do elevate the quality of music you are currently listening to.  I actually really like the Westone Star tips (silicone), but they just weren't perfect on me, personally.  Make sure you have a very, very deep seal with any tips you choose.  I would choose an area of the overall experience and get a few items based on that topic and try if it elevates your music to levels you enjoy.  If you are a cable guy, read up on cables and get one of those snazzy Litz silver cable from Ted's Headphone Lounge (I just use the stock 64 in, modded, currently).  If you are DAP guy, DAP it up and get a few and cross-reference them.  Use those filters and choose one or two you really like (I like my modded filters the best).  If you just want to use your current smartphone, cross-reference as many dedicated customizable Android/iPhone/Anything Else media players as you can, as the sound signatures are completely different from player to player on the same smartphone!  Let us know what you do to maximize your Shure SE846 experience when you figure out what to do next!


Edited by moedawg140 - 6/13/14 at 5:09pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread