BTW - just received my replacement set. Had to return mine to the dealer because of a problem with the left earbud. It would go out completely. Didn't happen often - maybe every 20 hours or so, and when it did go out I could eventually bring it back to life by spiking the volume, but it was not a problem I was going to live with. Don't know what the manufacture date was on the originals, but the new set was born on 4/18/14.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphonetagged by piercer, 8/24/13
Related Forum Threads
- Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) Last post on Today at 7:19 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Review of Apollo Audio Lab's Viper 6 - 6 BA drivers universal in-ear monitor Last post on 9/6/15 at 10:35am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE846 vs Noble Audio 6 (universal) - Time Sensitive! Last post on 2/20/15 at 8:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser's IE800 or Shure's SE846 Last post on 7/13/16 at 7:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Like New SHURE846 [Price Drop] Last post on 2/9/15 at 11:31pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 207
Gear mentioned in this thread:
If the AK boats warm, almost coloured sound, perhaps the silver litz cable is the way to go?
Keeping an iPod classic would be alright if only it supported higher bitdepth audio.
Top tier iem's should be able to be compared with headphones.
Being quirky is good in moderation.
I strongly agree,there are closer to hd800 sounding iems than the 846,maybe this is what he perceives at the mo.my advice is dont do one to one testing,especially b/w iem and a big can.i have done it via the Prime,the 846 have nice voicing and instrument,the rest is not perceived much on a direct comparison
Well how about comparing apples to apples. What I mean is compare Hybrid earphone that has a dynamic driver ( similar to a woofer) to another hybrid like the 1 plus 2. Then compare the 4 BA driver Shure 846 with another 4 BA driver or compare it to a 8 BA driver earphone.
I have many 10 mm dynamic drivers and I love the bass coming from the 846 BA Drivers.
The rumble, impact, depth and detail has been an experience akin to drinking a glass of imperial stout whose complex flavour changes as the beer warms/as one goes further down the glass.
Yes I have made a lot of references to liquor lately - is it Friday yet ??
All you are talking about is the bass though.That the se846 has fantastic bass seems fairly obvious but it would appear that's it's only totl quality with the rest being a bit average. That's what comes across and maybe that's good enough. It probably is for some but others maybe not.
Top meaning top universal or custom? Also was the 535 once considered top tier? Well the 846 meds and treble is better then the 535 and it is better then most earphones even custom ones. The 846 meds and treble are better then W4 and W5.
Umm no. The bass tonal balance is great but it is slower than a lot of headphones. The real magic is the rest of the frequency range that is spot on tonally, fast, clear, natural with insanely high micro and macro detail. I've said it before, I'll say it again... I sold my LCD-3 and HD800 and never looked back after a decade of using full sized open headphones. Is my big rig overkill for the 846? Probably, but also shows how high the 846 will scale. It also sounds great out of my AK100 Mk2 which also shows that it fairly forgiving too.
Edited by Solude - 6/11/14 at 4:47am
BA drivers were created for voice so many companies have excelled with BA Drivers in the Treble and some what less in the meds. The challenge for BA Drivers is the bass region. To fix this challenge many companies have put 2 or 4 BA Drivers to achieve bass or they added a Dynamic driver which is perfect answer to get the bass and especially sub bass. Now with new technology Shure created Sub Bass with the 846. I have demoed and borrowed some new BA Driven earphones that have deep bass rumble but they have more then 4 BA Drivers and some costs more then the 846.
Solude: You say you have the AK100II and that the SE846 are quite forgiving of it? Would you please care to elaborate? I am currently in the market for something that features expandable / high capacity that has excellent synergy with the SE846. I am as yet unconvinced that an iBasso model will do it, meanwhile interest in the entry level AK lineup runs hot and cold like my house's hot water system (yay... winter...!).
As the original AK120 is quite warm and syrupy in its sound I feel somewhat put off. So much so that an iPad with 128GB storage is looking like the front runner (it doubles as an ebook reader which is a huge plus and Golden Ear can playback high bitdepth files). I like the clear Apple iDevice sound, always have, however its punch and forcefulness lacks behind all else. Always has.
- Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 35 seconds ago
- › What the $^&# heck is it?.........iFi iEMatch! 2 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Rock Jaw Audio Looking for Pre-Production Testers for Future Products 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 7 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017) 7 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 8 minutes ago
- › Breathable headphones (around ear) for sweaty ears 8 minutes ago
- › Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear