- 3,537 Posts. Joined 2/2005
- Location: UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphonetagged by piercer, 8/24/13
Related Forum Threads
- Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) Last post on Today at 3:14 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Review of Apollo Audio Lab's Viper 6 - 6 BA drivers universal in-ear monitor Last post on 9/6/15 at 10:35am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE846 vs Noble Audio 6 (universal) - Time Sensitive! Last post on 2/20/15 at 8:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser's IE800 or Shure's SE846 Last post on 7/13/16 at 7:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Like New SHURE846 [Price Drop] Last post on 2/9/15 at 11:31pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Firstly I would like to thank iFi for this sample to review, as always I try to write honest reviews, this unit has had over 50hrs of burn-in, no real differences were noted. Gear Used: HP...
At 240 dollars new (price I paid) there is not a single headphone in the world with better price/performance ratio. Each song is a new listening experience and these sound far superior to any other...
I am writing this because I have read so much more than I have written, and I believe it's time to give back. There are two new versions of JVC's famous Bass iem: The FX99X and the FX77X, I am...
Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 202
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I don't like the sound of the pliable rubber (5,6,7). It's a little too thin, edgy, and un-natural. I don't use the foam (1,2,3) because I like to wash my tips daily.
I use the triple-flange (silicon) tip (4).
Edit to add: I think the long tube of the triple-flange tip give it the space needed to sound more natural, thicker, and reflexive.
Edited by truckdriver - 6/8/14 at 12:30pm
Hi, I liked #3 the best for serveral reasons. First, it's larger than my typical silicone size of medium. Silicon (or we call them Shure olives), #6, the bore size is narrow, and to my ears, it created noticible treble distortions(don't ask me how). So I went for complies. I went with biggest(#3) because complies are different from silicones as you can compress them and it will shape to the inside of your ear, and bigger size than your normal will seal much better. Also, these are not like "complies," the material has reflective coating on them, so the damping affect is not there(gets reflective like silicone material). Actually the foam, or #8 has reflective coating on the face toward your canals, but still it sounds to be damping to my ears. I don't want to damp since I want to get as much treble as I can with the 846.
Edited by SilverEars - 6/8/14 at 1:01pm
with the blue filter ? or which color ?
I recently switched to the black filter. I think the source is important in determining which filter to use. When I made the switch from blue to black on June 1, I had to change some settings in Viper4Android to get it to sound the way I wanted. The black filter also sounds good with the DX90. I wished I would have tried it with the Sony ZX1 (when I had it).
BTW, I think the triple-flanges are the only silicon tip provided.
Edited by truckdriver - 6/8/14 at 12:38pm
I use the Westone Star Tips, which are conveniently color-coded. I had previously used the Red silicone, but after losing one of those tips, I switched to the blue, which are a bit different feeling since they go deeper into the ear. Get a decent seal from both. And prefer the silicon (bottom 2 rows) to the foam (top 2 rows)
Very minor hiss. I use that pair and it is a solid combo in m experience.
Can someone who's heard both tell me how these compare to the JH Audio JH16's? They have a lot more armatures and I'm wondering if the SE846 lags in detail (especially in the lower bass regions that the JH16s have garnered so much praise for) due to its low armature count. On the other hand, I'm not completely sold on going custom due to fit issues as my ears change, not being able to let a friend listen to them, and resale value.
Also if someone could compare these to the Westone 3's, which I currently have and am considering upgrading from, I would very much appreciate it.
I'm more curious about hearing from someone who has heard both. I'd just like to hear how the sound signature differs.
- Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
- › < $300 IEM's Help! 26 seconds ago
- › Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further. 56 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Koss KTXPRO1....an awesome portable headphone! 2 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › UITaudio PMP-354P by Army-Firedawg
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ngoshawk
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear