or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 199

post #2971 of 16769

Well I have 4 custom earphones but I have been enjoying the 846 for the last 6 months. Two months ago I upgraded the cable with a Hybrid one made of Copper, Silver, and Gold. The Copper/Silver one was a slight improvement but the Copper/Silver/Gold made the 846 really shine. The meds and treble are clearer and wider. The bass is untouched but it is a bit tamer. The bass will hit hard as before if the track has this kind of bass but if not then the bass has been tamed a bit. I am a basshead so I do want the bass but due to the meds and treble being so much better I take it.Now I am listening to the music much higher than before which is enjoyable but I know I am not being nice to my ear drums.

post #2972 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post
 

Well I have 4 custom earphones but I have been enjoying the 846 for the last 6 months. Two months ago I upgraded the cable with a Hybrid one made of Copper, Silver, and Gold. The Copper/Silver one was a slight improvement but the Copper/Silver/Gold made the 846 really shine. The meds and treble are clearer and wider. The bass is untouched but it is a bit tamer. The bass will hit hard as before if the track has this kind of bass but if not then the bass has been tamed a bit. I am a basshead so I do want the bass but due to the meds and treble being so much better I take it.Now I am listening to the music much higher than before which is enjoyable but I know I am not being nice to my ear drums.

 

Can you tell me which four CIEMs do you have? And how would you compare these to SE846?

post #2973 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by yilun View Post
 

Can you tell me which four CIEMs do you have? And how would you compare these to SE846?

JH Audio 13 and 16, Aurisonics (dynamic driver and BA Drivers), and Future Sonics MG6 (dynamic Driver). The 846 bass is close to the MG6. JH13 has great highs better then the 846. Aurisonics are good on some tracks and bad on others. The 846 can do any kind of music and changing the filter will improve on the treble. I like the blue filter. The 846 makes all music fun to listen to and the 846 does no color the music. The 846 bring sub bass which most cannot produce so many due aim their hearing on this new sound while forgetting the meds and highs.


Edited by hertzsogood - 6/6/14 at 6:46am
post #2974 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post

Well I have 4 custom earphones but I have been enjoying the 846 for the last 6 months. Two months ago I upgraded the cable with a Hybrid one made of Copper, Silver, and Gold. The Copper/Silver one was a slight improvement but the Copper/Silver/Gold made the 846 really shine. The meds and treble are clearer and wider. The bass is untouched but it is a bit tamer. The bass will hit hard as before if the track has this kind of bass but if not then the bass has been tamed a bit. I am a basshead so I do want the bass but due to the meds and treble being so much better I take it.Now I am listening to the music much higher than before which is enjoyable but I know I am not being nice to my ear drums.

What of male vocals??
post #2975 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post


What of male vocals??

Bruce sounds better now!

post #2976 of 16769

Black Label , I love metal music and the Hybrid Copper/Silver/Gold greatly improved the 846. The Hybrid Copper/Silver improved it a little. I bought the Copper/Silver due to the price of the one that had Gold. Used it for 6 days and went and got the one with the Gold added. I am blasting Metal louder and clearer. Sounds so clearer I cant lower the volume.

post #2977 of 16769
Noice ! Exactly what I was hoping to hear (as it were).

As I said previously, gutteral metal vocals are far more easily comprehendended than with any other IEM ever experienced. However... It would be great if vocal clarity was more overally forward. Shure's main game is microphons, no less, hence I imagine with the most adept cable and source rig, vocals will shine as scintilatingly as every other element.
Edited by Black Label - 6/6/14 at 3:43pm
post #2978 of 16769

Black Label I read you are looking for a portable player for your 846. I have the iBasso DX100 which is a very nice player for the 846 but it is big and the battery lasts not more then 4 hours. I usually am using the FIIO X3 now because it is powerful, Battery lasts long like 7 to 8 hours and it makes music fun especially hard hitting kind. With the stock firm ware many non metal lovers complain the X3 is a bit warm but the X3 now has a new firm ware that made it clear and less warm which makes this inexpensive tiny player much better value. I myself am enjoying the stock firm ware but I might buy another X3 and up grade the firm ware. BTW the X3 is tiny and more powerful then the X5 and many other top portable players.

post #2979 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Andy View Post

After tyring the 846 for 4-5 hours. All i can say to describe its performance is that its 535 ltd with subwoofers. (It is a level up on almost every other aspects, but the most apparent once you put it in is that its very engaging bass)
Have not had too much demo time with SE535 Ltd versus non-Ltd which I own but I think SE846 more spacious, much better extension and more defined.
post #2980 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post

I remember borrowing my brother's Westone 4s for a day. I do recall they fit very well, however I am unsure as to whether or not they were the star tips.

Jaben now stocks Westone's gear, hence I might give them a whirl - even if the olives suit me exceedingly well.

 

The Westone star tips are much better than all the stock tips. 

post #2981 of 16769
redface.gif have only just noticed the bundled yellow foam also have wax filter. Had only noticed was filter addition to black foam before. Not clear why Shure do not sell wax guard ver of their tips separately. The profit margin on tips must be decent I imagine
post #2982 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepito View Post
 

 

The Westone star tips are much better than all the stock tips. 

 

I keep toying with getting the SE846... And why? Because the star tips are the best tips ever. The grey soft flex and shure olives are ok. The Star Tips are sublime and I love that the bore whole is the same diameter as the stalk of the iem. 

post #2983 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzsogood View Post

Black Label I read you are looking for a portable player for your 846. I have the iBasso DX100 which is a very nice player for the 846 but it is big and the battery lasts not more then 4 hours. I usually am using the FIIO X3 now because it is powerful, Battery lasts long like 7 to 8 hours and it makes music fun especially hard hitting kind. With the stock firm ware many non metal lovers complain the X3 is a bit warm but the X3 now has a new firm ware that made it clear and less warm which makes this inexpensive tiny player much better value. I myself am enjoying the stock firm ware but I might buy another X3 and up grade the firm ware. BTW the X3 is tiny and more powerful then the X5 and many other top portable players

The X3 and X5 might be out of the question if they are small, due to poor eyesight.

With the "Michael Jackson" (as my brother called it on here) modded filters metal now sounds grea when listening with my iPhone. Sounds great and nowhere near as fatiguing. The poweeful distorted guitar sound is freaking awesome. Perhaps the AK120 would take away that raw edge which would not to be my liking, however there are several firmware options from which to choose so maybe there is a shoe that fits.

I would happily continue using my iPhone or an iPod touch if only Apple could (would!) match 256GB (or more!) of on the go storage.

...And another thought occurs.... Seenheiser promised "distortion-free" sound. They delivered on said promise. Metal has virtually no texture at all, relative to the Shures. LOL
Edited by Black Label - 6/6/14 at 6:00pm
post #2984 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

I keep toying with getting the SE846... And why? Because the star tips are the best tips ever. The grey soft flex and shure olives are ok. The Star Tips are sublime and I love that the bore whole is the same diameter as the stalk of the iem. 

From experience the foam absorbs all the bass. The stock Shure foams absorbs the bass. The narrow bore Shure silicones congest the sound (due to the narrow bore).

The westone stars produce a more cohesive sound.
post #2985 of 16769

Playing with filters and tips makes this earphone very adaptable. I tried the yellow foam after somebody raved about it and I can see why as it provides a slight increase in clarity and details and a more linear sound but reduce the bass too much for me. 

Preferring blue filter and Westone silicone star tips at the moment.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread