or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 191

post #2851 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

I have two sets of all of the filters for the 846 so I have been modifying them out of curiousity. I have blue filters with no screen but with the dampening foam (very incoherent and shrill). I have white filters without the screen so just an empty tube (also rather shrill and materially brighter) and now black filters with the screen but with the foam carefully removed.

To my ears the black filters without the foam is actually brighter than the white filter. I would place the sound between no screen on the blue filter and the regular white filter. My first reaction is for those looking to add a little more shimmer to the top end and a slightly higher soundstage the black filter without the acoustical foam maybe the way to go. Call it the "white plus" filter.

I used as a reference the following songs "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" by Genesis in 16/44 FLAC, Riverside's "Second Life Syndrome" also in 16/44 FLAC and Porcupine Tree's "Anesthetize" in 24/48 FLAC.

After reading what you said I re looked everything over, as I loved the white filter on most tracks but felt it was just a little bright so after reading your post I took the white filter and as I had removed the foam from the black filter I inserted it into the white filter and it took just that slight edginess off please try it when you get a chance and let me know what you think if you hear what I hear then I think it may be a good combination.....
post #2852 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsincere View Post

After reading what you said I re looked everything over, as I loved the white filter on most tracks but felt it was just a little bright so after reading your post I took the white filter and as I had removed the foam from the black filter I inserted it into the white filter and it took just that slight edginess off please try it when you get a chance and let me know what you think if you hear what I hear then I think it may be a good combination.....

You are absolutely correct. It smooths the treble from the stock white filter but there is still some sparkle in the treble. Excellent recommendation.

I would call the white filter with the acoustical foam from the black filter not the blue plus but more the white minus filter. So to summarize we now have the following filters with the screens from brightest to warmest based on a quick 20 minute listen:

Any of filters without the foam or screen (personally I do not like the sound because of its incoherency and shrill sound).

Black filter without the foam.

Stock white filter

(I image the white filter with the blue foam would fall here)

White filter with the foam from the black filter

Stock blue filter

(I image the blue filter with the black foam would fall here)

Stock black filter.

That is eight different sonic signatures assuming the options in the parentheses are correct.
Edited by spook76 - 6/1/14 at 8:12pm
post #2853 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

You are absolutely correct. It smooths the treble from the stock white filter but there is still some sparkle in the treble. Excellent recommendation.

I would call the white filter with the acoustical foam from the black filter not the blue plus but more the white minus filter. So to summarize we now have the following filters with the screens from brightest to warmest based on a quick 20 minute listen:

Any of filters without the foam or screen (personally I do not like the sound because of its incoherency and shrill sound).

Black filter without the foam.

Stock white filter

(I image the white filter with the blue foam would fall here)

White filter with the foam from the black filter

Stock blue filter

(I image the blue filter with the black foam would fall here)

Stock black filter.

That is eight different sonic signatures assuming the options in the parentheses are correct.

Yes so we appear to be right in our judging....thanks a lot because I've been really curious to find that one combination...I think we could call it the grey filter as it's a combination of the two ☺️
Edited by dsincere - 6/1/14 at 8:24pm
post #2854 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


I have two sets of all of the filters for the 846 so I have been modifying them out of curiousity. I have blue filters with no screen but with the dampening foam (very incoherent and shrill). I have white filters without the screen so just an empty tube (also rather shrill and materially brighter) and now black filters with the screen but with the foam carefully removed.

To my ears the black filters without the foam is actually brighter than the white filter. I would place the sound between no screen on the blue filter and the regular white filter. My first reaction is for those looking to add a little more shimmer to the top end and a slightly higher soundstage the black filter without the acoustical foam maybe the way to go. Call it the "white plus" filter.

I used as a reference the following songs "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" by Genesis in 16/44 FLAC, Riverside's "Second Life Syndrome" also in 16/44 FLAC and Porcupine Tree's "Anesthetize" in 24/48 FLAC.


nothing wrong with making some shorter ones if u dont have a pin but u have a knife lol  , im not sure as i cant remember the sound from the white . but black filters with no foam is sounding really good i dont remember the white sounding this good _call it the white filter plus bass _. like hi end audio should . any one else with a dx50 . stop what your doin and rockbox it now :)


Edited by schtinkmeaner - 6/1/14 at 8:37pm
post #2855 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsincere View Post


Yes so we appear to be right in our judging....thanks a lot because I've been really curious to find that one combination...I think we could call it the grey filter as it's a combination of the two ☺️


thats why i called it the M.J  filter .shamonae

post #2856 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsincere View Post


You don't have to cut the end of the filter off ...everyone please don't ....you can just take a safety pin insert into the end and extract the small piece of precision cut foam in the end.."that way you can replace later if so desired"...I've done this as well...the sound to me seems actually just a tad brighter than the blue filter, maybe a hair under the sound of the white "I'll have to switch back to the white filter and listen for a while as I had switched to the blue and left it for a while now"


lol i know im like rambo on my toys i dont giv a stuff as its my last pair any way and the black was that bad i just committed to it out of desperation and lack of fine instruments lol prolly better off not cutting them but maybe some expansion in the chamber helps?  with the shorter straw , any way white filters certainly lakt the bass of this modification and black lost detail thats for sure

post #2857 of 16761

Note to all you filter tweekers:

 

No filter, whether stock or dis-embowelled, cuts or adds bass. The filters only alter the upper frequencies. The perception of "more bass" is only because the highs are being diminished (cut) in varying amounts.

post #2858 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
 

Note to all you filter tweekers:

 

No filter, whether stock or dis-embowelled, cuts or adds bass. The filters only alter the upper frequencies. The perception of "more bass" is only because the highs are being diminished (cut) in varying amounts.


what about severed in half graphter man  ?

post #2859 of 16761

Interesting, if I come across an extra set of filters I'd like to try frakensteining them

post #2860 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

It's fine.  Try not to abuse your expensive iems on purpose :P

When should squeaks / creaks be investigated by Shure? The left side does it alot more than the right side.

post #2861 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by schtinkmeaner View Post


what about severed in half graphter man  ?

 

....like this?

post #2862 of 16761
Quote:

Originally Posted by burtomr View Post

 

 



....like this?







ha



ha



ha

hahaha yeh somthing like that .
but that there is what happens when you let the girls try to do the jobsthat call for none other than this guy rite here >



 


Edited by schtinkmeaner - 6/1/14 at 10:18pm
post #2863 of 16761

In the frequency graphs at Headroom, do you think the SE846 has as much bass as the graph shows? 

post #2864 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post
 

In the frequency graphs at Headroom, do you think the SE846 has as much bass as the graph shows? 


just coz someone mentioned graphs doesnt mean we gotta talk about em ;)

post #2865 of 16761
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30ernest View Post

I'm starting to wonder if there are widespread issues with this IEM.  I know that problems tend to be exaggerated in forums because there is a higher likelihood that someone with an issue would post about it than someone who has a pair that's working just fine, but so far on the other Shure threads, there haven't been much talk about IEMs failing or being returned due to defects.  

Fear of getting a dud is holding me back on these.  These IEMs aren't available in my country so I will definitely have to import them.  If i do run into an issue with them, getting a replacement might become a problem.

Judging by previous posts, it is apparent that the first release of units were the most bug prone. It might also explain the extended delays in having them exported to Australia (this week became next week, next week became just before Xmas, Xmas became... well, you get the picture).

As far as I know, Shure's warranty is global. Unlike Sennheiser, whose products are replaced on the spot at the place of purchase, the unit must be sent back to a service centre. I might need to elaborate on this further however I do not have the eyesight to read the fine print (a Google search should suffice).

My IE800s gave me nothing but jip, however the Shures have (to date) been completely trouble free.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread