or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 187

post #2791 of 16754

..wrong thread.  :D


Edited by SilverEars - 5/29/14 at 6:34pm
post #2792 of 16754

Currently I am looking to upgrade to a better DAP. The 8s and I are off to NYC for a few days tomorrow. Are there any good electronics stores left in NYC. Chicago is knee deep in such establishments but as I will be in NYC that will do me no good.

 

Part of me (the prudent part)says leave the 846s at home unbox the 535s and take them. The WTF side of me (the side of me that bought the 846s) says take the 846s. (Rhapsody in Blue while walking the through the Manhatten)

 

The odds of me losing them are not great BUT there is Murphy's law to consider and with my customs arriving next week I fear I may be tempting fate Need/Want what will win?

 

Again any suggestions for a good place to get a DAP in NYC would be much appreciated. I do like the iBasso but they do not distribute in North America.

 

If the Sony ZR1 was available n North America (promises promises Sony) I would likely get that. I know it is not as "good as the DX90 but considering I am moving from an iPod Classic (not quite an 8 track player but) I am taking a step up.

post #2793 of 16754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post
 

Currently I am looking to upgrade to a better DAP. The 8s and I are off to NYC for a few days tomorrow. Are there any good electronics stores left in NYC. Chicago is knee deep in such establishments but as I will be in NYC that will do me no good.

 

Part of me (the prudent part)says leave the 846s at home unbox the 535s and take them. The WTF side of me (the side of me that bought the 846s) says take the 846s. (Rhapsody in Blue while walking the through the Manhatten)

 

The odds of me losing them are not great BUT there is Murphy's law to consider and with my customs arriving next week I fear I may be tempting fate Need/Want what will win?

 

Again any suggestions for a good place to get a DAP in NYC would be much appreciated. I do like the iBasso but they do not distribute in North America.

 

If the Sony ZR1 was available n North America (promises promises Sony) I would likely get that. I know it is not as "good as the DX90 but considering I am moving from an iPod Classic (not quite an 8 track player but) I am taking a step up.


Maybe try B&H?  They sell Fiio X3/X5 and the Astell & Kerns.

post #2794 of 16754

After several years of tinkering in midfi I finally saved enough pennies to acquire my end game rig (for now anyways). 

 

I am blown away by the sound.

 

post #2795 of 16754
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post
 


Maybe try B&H?  They sell Fiio X3/X5 and the Astell & Kerns.

I have been on their site I was hoping for more. The AK is still a little steep for my wallet. But with iBasso unavailable and SONY keeping their best away from America )back in the day it was just Canada that got the short end of the Katana.

 

J&R just closed too. What is this world coming to. First Times Square becomes "family friendly" and now no longer the cool mecca( in North America) of toys. In my youth you could get electronics in NYC that were only otherwise available in HK and Japan (in my day I had hair) . Such is life. I suppose if I just keep running it in my head I will end up with an AK unit. (Need/Want, Need/Want.....)..That is how I ended up buying the 8s

post #2796 of 16754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post
 

I have been on their site I was hoping for more. The AK is still a little steep for my wallet. But with iBasso unavailable and SONY keeping their best away from America )back in the day it was just Canada that got the short end of the Katana.

 

J&R just closed too. What is this world coming to. First Times Square becomes "family friendly" and now no longer the cool mecca( in North America) of toys. In my youth you could get electronics in NYC that were only otherwise available in HK and Japan (in my day I had hair) . Such is life. I suppose if I just keep running it in my head I will end up with an AK unit. (Need/Want, Need/Want.....)..That is how I ended up buying the 8s

 

Wow - didn't realize that J&R was closing, at least temporarily.

post #2797 of 16754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepito View Post

After several years of tinkering in midfi I finally saved enough pennies to acquire my end game rig (for now anyways). 

I am blown away by the sound.



How are you enjoying the balanced rig?
post #2798 of 16754
Doesn't that go without saying spook? The better question is did he throw his stock cable in the waste bin? Cheers!
post #2799 of 16754
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe View Post

Doesn't that go without saying spook? The better question is did he throw his stock cable in the waste bin? Cheers!

Haha I didn't get a balanced to se connect so I can't do that.

The soundstage had increased along with better clarity and imaging. The difference is very noticeable. The bass has tightened up and extends deeper.

Edit: I remember demoing the JH16's (non-fp) at Jaben in 2010 (w/ a yulong amp and dac). It was quite some time ago but I remember my jaw being on the shop floor. The 846's balanced with a proper source is a step above.
Edited by Pepito - 5/29/14 at 9:32pm
post #2800 of 16754
awesome and congrats!
post #2801 of 16754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post
 

What I have not tried but had considered is a white filter in one ear and the blue filter in the other ear. Just curious to hear the effect is what it  would sound like in my head when the two slightly different streams crossed in my head.

 

 

Better that mixing white and blue filters....how about using (2) different IEM's - one brand for the Left and a different brand for the Right. Just think of the possible combinations....just boggles the mind thinking of all the possible combinations...:eek:

post #2802 of 16754

I've been using the BaX cable for the past day and the build quality seems good. They almost feel like string, there is hardly any rigidness to them especially from the y-split to the iems. The only thing that I noticed right away is that they tangle easily which was annoying. I'm a little concerned about the jack end because the shrink wrap is not very long so there is more wear at a smaller point in the wire. 

 

Sound wise, the BaX makes everything a little darker. The highs are restrained ever so slightly. I think as a result they seem a little less detailed with less separation between instruments. Lower frequencies are emphasized a bit more. The bass has a little more rumble to it. All of the differences are in a small degree which made it difficult to make immediate first impressions. I think people who have some sibilance problems might consider this cable and to increase bass a little too. I was using the white filter with the SE846 and for me it works well. For me, the white filter took too much off the lower frequencies but had better highs than the other filters. This cable kind of puts the sound in between the blue and white filter. I will add impressions after longer period of use if any of my thoughts change.


Edited by ottotron - 5/29/14 at 9:42pm
post #2803 of 16754
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe View Post

awesome and congrats!

Thanks! It has been a long journey but I'm very happy with the results. Sonic bliss.
post #2804 of 16754
I was def expecting treble disaster but after i got the 846 i really don't get what people are complaining about.
My advice is,stop listening to sibilant and treble prone headsets and retune your ears.
Sound doesn't get much better than this in a iem:)
post #2805 of 16754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottotron View Post
 

This cable kind of puts the sound in between the blue and white filter. I will add impressions after longer period of use if any of my thoughts change.

 

Impedance doing what it do.  Simple as that.  Use it with a Westone... less bass.  Use it with an Etymotic... more treble.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread